Percie needs a new home (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We are looking for a new 'Forever home' for Percie.
Percie was owned by my 31 year old son Jon who after being diagnosed with cancer in June 2013 passed away in December 2013. Percie was much loved and spent the last six weeks with Jon in his room at St Helens Hospice in Colchester where he charmed all the nurses & doctors!
Jon made us promise that if ever we couldn't keep Percie we should find him a new home where he would be treated well and looked after as he deserved.
Jon used to bring him to work every day in his traveling cage and he would sit in a cage in the reception of our garage where he interacted with all the customers who came in, the children especially liked him.
In the future we are going to be traveling abroad for weeks/months at a time and presently, as we are still working , he often has to spend all day alone whilst we are working which is not fair on him so are very, very, reluctantly looking for a new home for him.
I am also a bit frightened of birds and he seems to love making a bee line for me, sitting on my shoulder nibbling my hair etc..
He is healthy, very sociable and partial to crisps and the occasional sip of red wine, not the usual diet for a Conure I know! He will make a lovely companion for someone who will give him the attention he deserves.
We have two cages, traveling bag & toys etc... so he will come with all his own things.
We will be so sad to see him go, especially after having lost our son, but feel it is the best thing for him in the long run.
We have had a couple of tentative offers but not from people we know and we are really worried that they may take him and then sell him on.
Ideally we would like to re-home him somewhere near to us in Harwich , Essex but that is not looking likely so the next best thing would be to re-home him with someone we know.
If anyone is interested in him please contact me.
Jacky

IMG_1583.jpg

10313603_10152845308138242_2767099665526091061_n.jpg

May 13, 2014
Maldon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2002
Percy needs a new home

What a lovely bird, my wife had one the same many years ago so much fun it would sit by her dinner plate and steal bits when she was not looking likewise it also liked to nibble ears and hair much the frustration of my daughters. really hope you find a good home for him. Someone is going to be very lucky as a result of your sad loss. Showed Percy to my wife who would have been on your doorstep in 30 minutes if it had not been for the fact that like you we tend to holiday abroad for at least 2 months at a time.
I joined Motorhomefun last night and already getting pleasure from it. Saw the members stand at Peterborough and what a good advert the people around it were, all laughing and joking, several friends made the same observation.
Good luck with your search I'm sure you will have plenty of people pick from.
Regards
Solly
P.S Another ex fireman they seem to be evrywhere:thumb:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
What a lovely bird, my wife had one the same many years ago so much fun it would sit by her dinner plate and steal bits when she was not looking likewise it also liked to nibble ears and hair much the frustration of my daughters. really hope you find a good home for him. Someone is going to be very lucky as a result of your sad loss. Showed Percy to my wife who would have been on your doorstep in 30 minutes if it had not been for the fact that like you we tend to holiday abroad for at least 2 months at a time.
I joined Motorhomefun last night and already getting pleasure from it. Saw the members stand at Peterborough and what a good advert the people around it were, all laughing and joking, several friends made the same observation.
Good luck with your search I'm sure you will have plenty of people pick from.
Regards
Solly
P.S [HI]Another ex fireman[/HI] they seem to be evrywhere:thumb:

Welcome Solly. You have joined a great club. As you say there a quite a few old squirters here.

Mike, AKA Sam

And JayGee, I’m sure you will find someone who will give a good home to Percie. Unfortunately many funsters are inveterate travellers, but they may know someone who would be ideal. Good luck and commiserations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
What about Jezsports, did he have a parrot, and I think they used to take it out and about with them.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
so sorry to hear of the loss of your son, and can understand your concerns about rehoming his beautiful bird percie as we may also have to rehome an amazon parrot sometime in the future..
we've been looking and considering this place for when the time comes, yes it is a bird zoo, but it's also a forever home where they can be amongst others of their own kind and become birds once again..

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
so sorry to hear of the loss of your son, and can understand your concerns about rehoming his beautiful bird percie as we may also have to rehome an amazon parrot sometime in the future..
we've been looking and considering this place for when the time comes, yes it is a bird zoo, but it's also a forever home where they can be amongst others of their own kind and become birds once again..

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Please Please do read the reviews of this place. There are several articles on the web about the atrocious conditions their birds are kept in. I phoned them before I had read the reviews and they actually charge you to rehome them! It certainly put me off!!

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
oh goodness me, i had no idea, :Angry: am so sorry that i put the link, however, it will serve as a reminder for anyone else having to rehome a much loved parrot and a place to be avoided at all costs..

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Of all the posts I have read on *fun*, this is by far the saddest. I'm hardened to death, and it's associated implications, but the thoughts that your son in a way left something of himself behind with Percy has really touched me.
Dogs, cats, birds or whatever we leave behind, all keep some part of you. Are you sure that you must part with Percy? Your very brave if you decide to do so, I personally just couldn't do it......:cry::cry:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
have just read some of the negative reports about this place and it's heartbreaking, i wonder how many people have been conned by such seductive words on their website and left their beloved companions there..

http://npzwatch.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.parrotmag.com/letters/196-letters-national-parrot-sanctuary-a-zoo

please accept my apologies for my previous post, i sincerely hope that it hasn't caused you any distress..

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
have just read some of the negative reports about this place and it's heartbreaking, i wonder how many people have been conned by such seductive words on their website and left their beloved companions there..

http://npzwatch.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.parrotmag.com/letters/196-letters-national-parrot-sanctuary-a-zoo

please accept my apologies for my previous post, i sincerely hope that it hasn't caused you any distress..

No not at all - I too was taken in and had contacted them and then almost accidently found those terrible reviews. I had been given the contact number by Colchester Zoo as a place that may have taken him:Eeek:

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Of all the posts I have read on *fun*, this is by far the saddest. I'm hardened to death, and it's associated implications, but the thoughts that your son in a way left something of himself behind with Percy has really touched me.
Dogs, cats, birds or whatever we leave behind, all keep some part of you. Are you sure that you must part with Percy? Your very brave if you decide to do so, I personally just couldn't do it......:cry::cry:

This is a really hard decision but we may be away from home up to 3 months at a time and mostly abroad. We have no one that would parrot sit him for that length of time :cry::cry:
I suspect that we may end up keeping him ............just don't know what we'll do when we go away????

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is a really hard decision but we may be away from home up to 3 months at a time and mostly abroad. We have no one that would parrot sit him for that length of time :cry::cry:
I suspect that we may end up keeping him ............just don't know what we'll do when we go away????

Well, either a small add in your local paper, or do a search on Google for parrot clubs etc in your area, or ring up one of the national bird societies. I'm sure that you will find someone.

Try this:

http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/pet-parrots/rehoming-a-pet-parrot

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Can't you take him with you?
It must be simpler than taking a dog abroad.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our local garden centre has a pet unit. They used to have a couple of elderly parrots which were not for sale but kept everyone entertained. Perhaps this could be a solution? People would visit just to talk to the parrots. My daughter had a Saturday job there and loved it when they were quiet in the shop so Magic and Merlin were able to come out to play!

I'd love to have Percie but we are in Scotland and it's a bit too far for him to travel.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Can't you take him with you?
It must be simpler than taking a dog abroad.

To be honest I haven't looked deeply into it only just touched the surface of the subject but it would seem they still have to have blood tests etc.. which in a small bird is very stressing. I may have to look into it a bit more!

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
lf he is still around l will message 2 parrot friends.
l has own business and has small avery and mish mash rescued things at moment is some blackbird fledglings
Other retained fireman and does garden and general work at a lovely nat trust house.
Both have parrots one has links to a small parrot rescue. and a lovebird avery 2 seperate parrots and is a sucker for parrots (fireman one)

Do not want to do it if Percy has gone though.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Double Like!:thumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am so pleased he has a new home and so close to you.

We were wondering what had happened and my DH asked if I had offered...... and when Percie could be expected.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you for all the replies. We have found a home about an hour from ours and are taking him there on Friday . Think they are just the right people to look after him. :)

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Poor Percy........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back