Open office not reliably saving spreadsheet changes (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
For years I used Excel but when Windows 10 came along I couldnt get my Office 2000 stuff to work so tried going to Office 365 which kept crashing my PC. To cut a long story short, I used 2000 on an older PC untilit died and then went to Open Office. The problem I'm having with Open Office is that it doesnt consistently save amendments, and frequently crashes when I add new worksheets in. This is a problem because its the way I manage my personal accounts and the few invoices I do ultimately culminating in what I submit to our accountants for "self assessment" :LOL::LOL: .

I dont mind buying something but really want a reliable basic functional spreadsheet. Any recommendations please?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We use google drive. If you create a document or spreadsheet it alters it constantly and saves it on the cloud. If its just personal use you'll never need to buy extra storage and you can access it on any device. It's free

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I dont mind buying something but really want a reliable basic functional spreadsheet. Any recommendations please?
Dropped OpenOffice in favour of LibreOffice (which was a fork of the former) a number of years ago and never had any problems.

It's Windows and Linux compatible which is also a benefit for me.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have to use Libre Office to submit charity gift aid reclaims to HMRC as that is the only one they allow so must be adequate. You could always get a Mac and use Numbers!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Is it possible to open an 'open office' file in 'libre office'? I have also found that open office spreadsheets sometimes don't update using new data that has been entered in different sheets within the same file!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Is it possible to open an 'open office' file in 'libre office'? I have also found that open office spreadsheets sometimes don't update using new data that has been entered in different sheets within the same file!
From memory OpenOffice has a default file format of .odf which LibreOffice also uses (unless you change it to some other format). So, a workbook \ spreadsheet saved in OpenOffice can be opened and maintained in LibreOffice.

Microsoft Office only recently enable .odf formatted documents to be opened and maintained.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have to use Libre Office to submit charity gift aid reclaims to HMRC as that is the only one they allow so must be adequate. You could always get a Mac and use Numbers!
Or use LibreOffice on a Mac as there is also an iOS version.

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
That’s it “Open Document Format” files specified by HMRC.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm pretty sure you can download Google docs spreadsheets in odf format and excel. Be worth checking first if it's important. We have all our stuff now on the cloud. I know some still like their own files on their own computer but it really useful for us to be able to access from different devices. We're doing the same with the village hall trustees stuff the previous chairman was suddenly ill and sadly died it took ages to access the stuff on his computer. We've told our kids our details so they could log into any documents they might need if we're both unable to help we're also looking at sorting out lpa,s

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm pretty sure you can download Google docs spreadsheets in odf format and excel.
Google Docs has supported ODF documents for about 10 years.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We use google drive. If you create a document or spreadsheet it alters it constantly and saves it on the cloud. If its just personal use you'll never need to buy extra storage and you can access it on any device. It's free
How would I get on sending invoices to people? Would they then have access to my whole files? I currently copy a worksheet, save it as a new file and then attach it to an email.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Dropped OpenOffice in favour of LibreOffice (which was a fork of the former) a number of years ago and never had any problems.

It's Windows and Linux compatible which is also a benefit for me.

That sounds like a good solution thanks

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
How would I get on sending invoices to people? Would they then have access to my whole files? I currently copy a worksheet, save it as a new file and then attach it to an email.
If you do go down the LibreOffice route you can export your spreadsheet as a pdf file which virtually everybody has access to open \ read via their browser or installed app \ software.(y)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I use Libre Office for the same purpose on my MacBook. Run a couple of simple macros on my own stuff. A you say, at least Libre Office will provide the requisite format spreadsheets. I take it that M$Office still don't. I haven't used it since Office 97.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use Libre Office for the same purpose on my MacBook. Run a couple of simple macros on my own stuff. A you say, at least Libre Office will provide the requisite format spreadsheets. I take it that M$Office still don't. I haven't used it since Office 97.
ODF 1.3 support in current versions of MS Office since middle of last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back