Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Can anyone help me please, I have a scan of a old school photo belonging to an elderly relative which he in turn borrowed from a school friend so I do not have the original. Down the years its been rolled up and stored. It has roll marks which have turned a lighter colour than the rest of the print. I would love to restore it for him without the lighter creases is this possible please. I only have photoshop 7 alas none of the later versions.
Can anyone tell me which tools would help. I have done some work to the scan but the light marks are a bit past me !
Thanks. Eileen

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would suggest that the Clone Tool might be the easiest to use. Open the scanned image file and save it with a new name (so you can return to the original if it all goes horribly wrong).

Then select the clone tool from the tool box which is normally on the left-hand side of the screen (icon is an old-fashioned rubber stamp). Along the top bar, check the opacity setting for the tool. This determines how aggressive the adjustment will be - I suggest you start with a setting of somewhere between 30%-50%. Then select the brush style and size. A soft-edged brush will be best and make sure it's not too large. Next, put the mouse pointer over an area close to the affected crease mark that looks as similar to what the original undamaged section might have looked like. Hold down Alt and left click the mouse - this selects the source image area. Now move over the crease and left click. You will see the copied area transferred to the affected part. Now, holding the left mouse button down, move the mouse up and down, or side to side as appropriate to extend the clone transfer. Be careful, note that the source area moves in line with the mouse pointer. So if you move next to a different kind of image, that will transfer to the target area. If this happens, undo the history for a few stages until you have removed the error. To do this, either deselect steps in the history window, or press Ctrl-Shift-Z until you have got back to the last good edit step. Lots of patience and some experimentation and you should be able to make a decent job of restoration.

Hope this helps.

Philip

p.s. the key references above assume you are using a PC. If you have a Mac, substitute Option for Alt and Cmd for Ctrl.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you fancy a newer version, you can download a free trial, and then do as instructed above. Take you time and it will be great!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Clone tool is the way to go...Eileen.

As has been said...Be selective and careful where you clone from and you'll get some very good results.

Always work on a copy and not the original and save every now and then when the result of that area looks good.

Jean Luc has offered some very comprehensive advice.:thumb:

BTW Scan at the highest dpi you can to minimise pixellation.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks for that but the lighter areas are right in the middle of the childrens faces so clone tool just makes them look strange. I will keep trying.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks for that but the lighter areas are right in the middle of the childrens faces so clone tool just makes them look strange. I will keep trying.

It is do-able if there's similar flesh and shadow tones adjacent to those areas.

Are you zooming right in to those?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Enlarge the image very significantly before working on it, then use a relatively small clone brush size with opacity set to 25% or less and build up selectively. You will have to keep zooming out to check the effect. If this doesn't work, you could resort to using the paintbrush at one or two pixels size and select the surrounding good area colour with the dropper. It will take ages to do it this way though as you need to keep selecting slightly different tones for adjacent clusters of pixels in order to make it look natural.

Another option, but I think this will show up as streaks, is to select the paintbrush, then switch on the air-brush (top of the screen?) and proceed with the nearest colour (again set to low opacity).

Good luck - Philip

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

If you email the scan to me then I will see what I can do for you, I have done a few of these in the past.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a