Not such a dumb cookie! (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I didn't think my four and a half month old Spanish Mastin puppy, Querida was one of the most intelligent pups I have had the pleasure of knowing, but I need to have a rethink!
She is undoubtedly of the more vocal ones I have owned and she has a very big,deep voice.
Using 'clicker training ' I have been practising two aspects of her education recently, coming to call and not barking (I know one should concentrate on one behaviour at a time ).
Querida has very good hearing and at the slightest sound (either in reality or her imagination )would leap up,and rush out through the flycurtain, onto the patio barking.
I would be left sitting in my recliner grumbling because yet again I needed to put my book down and go out into into the 39°c temperature outside to shut her up and retrieve her.
There are three permanent fixtures next to my chair, a bowl of tasty dog treats , a container of rich tea biscuits and a mug of tea.
Yesterday evening Querida was being even more vocal than usual,so rather than getting up, following her outside and telling her off, I was whistling her back in, (I find the whistle distracts her from the barking), and "click/rewarding her for coming to call.
A couple of hours and many repetitions of this behaviour later, when the bowl of dog treats had been emptied and Querida was being treated with pieces of my biscuits a profound thought penetrated my (NB. not her, slow brain).
I put down my book and focused, sure enough Querida jumped to her feet, rushed through the flycurtain and began barking. I could see her outline just theother side of the curtain, whistled, she spun around, lolloped (she's very gangly at the moment and her big feet throw her legs in all directions) back through the flycurtain and stood expectantly by my chair, tongue lolling out, waiting to be 'click /rewarded.
Who is thick? She had sussed that if she went outside and barked, I would call her in and give her a reward! Hmm, she may not be a Collie but daft she most definitely isn't. ! :unsure::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Val 3 dogs
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Don't worry Keith, I hate seeing overweight dogs and I am especially aware that as pups the 'big 'breeds in particular must not be allowed to get overweight. :( :cool:(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Val 3 dogs
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
For RogerThat ,
1st. a couple of months ago
2nd,similar age.
3rd. At about 3months
4th. Last Sunday (helping to guard her Mum's goats.
5th. Her Mum.
I could easily bore you rigid with several hundred more, but this will probably suffice. :D2

Attachments

• 20190531_161603-1.jpg
    20190531_161603-1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190602_224912.jpg
    20190602_224912.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190703_210843_0-2.jpg
    20190703_210843_0-2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190819_023435.jpg
    20190819_023435.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20181008_181310-1.jpg
    20181008_181310-1.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 55
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I didn't think my four and a half month old Spanish Mastin puppy, Querida was one of the most intelligent pups I have had the pleasure of knowing, but I need to have a rethink!
She is undoubtedly of the more vocal ones I have owned and she has a very big,deep voice.
Using 'clicker training ' I have been practising two aspects of her education recently, coming to call and not barking (I know one should concentrate on one behaviour at a time ).
Querida has very good hearing and at the slightest sound (either in reality or her imagination )would leap up,and rush out through the flycurtain, onto the patio barking.
I would be left sitting in my recliner grumbling because yet again I needed to put my book down and go out into into the 39°c temperature outside to shut her up and retrieve her.
There are three permanent fixtures next to my chair, a bowl of tasty dog treats , a container of rich tea biscuits and a mug of tea.
Yesterday evening Querida was being even more vocal than usual,so rather than getting up, following her outside and telling her off, I was whistling her back in, (I find the whistle distracts her from the barking), and "click/rewarding her for coming to call.
A couple of hours and many repetitions of this behaviour later, when the bowl of dog treats had been emptied and Querida was being treated with pieces of my biscuits a profound thought penetrated my (NB. not her, slow brain).
I put down my book and focused, sure enough Querida jumped to her feet, rushed through the flycurtain and began barking. I could see her outline just theother side of the curtain, whistled, she spun around, lolloped (she's very gangly at the moment and her big feet throw her legs in all directions) back through the flycurtain and stood expectantly by my chair, tongue lolling out, waiting to be 'click /rewarded.
Who is thick? She had sussed that if she went outside and barked, I would call her in and give her a reward! Hmm, she may not be a Collie but daft she most definitely isn't. ! :unsure::ROFLMAO:
We have Collies and as you say even other breeds aren't daft. Shows you have to be a bit cunning yourself to ensure you arent rewarding and reinforcing bad behaviour by accident. Ours rarely have treats, and when they have them is deliberately a bit arbitrary. We believe in rewarding behaviour by praise, its always available.

OP
OP
Val 3 dogs
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Reallyretired, I think I agree with you and that has certainly been the case with all my previous dogs, though my memory may be a little skewed as I have had nothing but Collies for the last 40 + years.
Querida is very different!
She plays with my Collie, Lass and copies her behaviour in many ways but is much less demonstrative and apart from her guarding instincts much slower to react.
I guess I need to accept her for herself (and learn what that is) and not compare her to something she is not.
She is very loyal and devoted, wary of strangers , funny and unco-ordinated and is going to be huge.
She has a natural affinity with the local heard of goats,moves quietly around them and observes, showing no inclinations to join with the collies in their herding activities.
She is just a loveable, enormous baby dog, that will probably never play flyball or do agility but then neither will I, so who cares?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back