Newby wi-fi question(s)............. (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Me again.
Having now resolved our sat nav / reversing camera dilemma (thanks to input from forum members), it's wi-fi time.
Does anyone use, or has used, this router in their motorhome?
EE 4GEE Router HH70VB
We only require a basic (unlocked) system, capable of supporting a pair of smart phones, a tablet, a lap top and a smart speaker.
We do not need to stream tv stations to our non-existent tv!

OP
OP
garry55
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Could you explain what that is? I know nothing about wi-fi other than I have a router under my desk for the home pc.
I was under the impression that I needed a router and an external aerial so that I would have (almost) complete wi-fi reception whilst travelling abroad?

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
if you have a ssmart phone go into setting and select "Personal Hotspot. your phone will act as a router. depending on coverage you should be okay for what you're looking to do. if you want to use a laptop or ipad all you need to do is take the wifi password which you'll get from settings on the device you've chossen as your router.

Hope thats clear enough.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You only need a router and an external aerial if you do a lot of traveling remote areas. We have them and find them useful but probably not of much benifit to you.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Could you explain what that is? I know nothing about wi-fi other than I have a router under my desk for the home pc.
I was under the impression that I needed a router and an external aerial so that I would have (almost) complete wi-fi reception whilst travelling abroad?
A router with a rooftop mounted aerial will improve signal strength. However it needs a sim card suitable for EU reception. As you are not using a TV, you might be as well just using your smartphones as hot spots to drive your other devices. Some research will tell you which sim card is best for your phones outside the UK but to generalise, most phone companies only allow 12 Gb data use per month per device. Check websites like Martin Lewis for best roaming deals https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-roaming-calls/

OP
OP
garry55
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
We will be travelling around France, Spain and Portugal in April and May - would a phone hotspot suffice? I read that reception in certain areas that we are hoping to visit (the Picos de Europa for example) is pretty poor?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Towns in the Picos are OK but remote areas in the mountains even with an aerial you won't get a signal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
garry55
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Once again - many thanks for your advice (y)
We stopped off at our local mobile phone shop and the assistant there explained everything in a manner that even us two techie numpties could understand, so that's another "how to?" crossed off our list.
Any recommendations on which SIM cards to purchase when in France / Spain / Portugal?

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
How much data do you currently use? And what is the data allowance of the Sims you currently have. Also will you be subjected to roaming charges, it depends on when you took out your contract and the network you are with.

OP
OP
garry55
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
WE are both with EE and would be subject to roaming charges on our current SIM cards - we checked with our local EE branch yesterday.
Never asked the data allowance question and no idea of current data usage - is that info available on our phones?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have used Reglo (from LeClerc supermarket) in France and NoS in Portugal but I think on our next trip I'll be using a POPit sim 100gb data for £25 and can use the full allowance when roaming.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
WE are both with EE and would be subject to roaming charges on our current SIM cards - we checked with our local EE branch yesterday.
Never asked the data allowance question and no idea of current data usage - is that info available on our phones?
Fair use policy with EE is 25gb but you can often use quite a bit more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
As you do not watch TV or stream you will be hard pressed to use £100 GB in a month. I would recommend the popit mobile SIM mentioned by Lenny HB.This will save you having to get individual Sims when traveling to different countries.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Once again - many thanks for your advice (y)
We stopped off at our local mobile phone shop and the assistant there explained everything in a manner that even us two techie numpties could understand, so that's another "how to?" crossed off our list.
Any recommendations on which SIM cards to purchase when in France / Spain / Portugal?
Have a read through this advice from the people at Motorhome WiFi. It's not fully up to date but gives you an idea of the range of deals. https://www.motorhomewifi.com/expert-advice/2022-sim-cards/

Sep 29, 2019
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Solway PVC
Exp
Since 2020
Check with EE. I think for an additional £10 you can get EU roaming added to existing contract for the time you are away, relatively cheap and keeps things simple. Not sure how it works, you might have to remember to cancel the "extra" when you get back to uk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back