Newbie Vanner with Wifi questions.... (1 Viewer)

Kirky03

Free Member
Apr 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
VW CRAFTER
Hello Everyone 👋
We are trying out our 1st camper to see if it suits Us & Our (crazy) Dog !
Have found the forum full of great info & tips. However, I am looking for some advice on Internet connectivity whilst away in the Van. I have a mobile contract with shed loads of data, I have set this up as a hotspot & connected the tv/firestick to stream Netflix etc (works well on my drive 😂). I am not expecting this to work so well whilst out & about in different areas, so my question is whether there are boosters available to run off the 12v leisure system that can boost my mobile data inside the van ? I understand I can't boost what isn't there, but if the signal is weak is there a way of improving it..... without having a router with its own Data SIM (which is what everyone seems to want to sell me)
Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Everyone 👋
We are trying out our 1st camper to see if it suits Us & Our (crazy) Dog !
Have found the forum full of great info & tips. However, I am looking for some advice on Internet connectivity whilst away in the Van. I have a mobile contract with shed loads of data, I have set this up as a hotspot & connected the tv/firestick to stream Netflix etc (works well on my drive 😂). I am not expecting this to work so well whilst out & about in different areas, so my question is whether there are boosters available to run off the 12v leisure system that can boost my mobile data inside the van ? I understand I can't boost what isn't there, but if the signal is weak is there a way of improving it..... without having a router with its own Data SIM (which is what everyone seems to want to sell me)
Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
Not really apart from changing in your setting between 5ghz and 2.8ghz
who are you with on your contract, I was with o2...and when I changed to ee Ive had a much better experience.
or you could go the whole hog and go starlink, now that is the Dogs

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Try before you buy, you may be pleasantly surprised or be prepared to accept the odd few occasions it becomes an issue. Outside of the UK it's a different story. Welcome to the House of Fun

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:

You need a MiFi or router with external aerial connections, popular ones are Teltonika, Netgeat, TP Link, Huawei.
Then an external aerial like the Poynting A- MIMO -0003-V2-12.

Edit:​

Just noticed you didn't want to go down that route but it is the best option.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Boosting a signal is not so easy, lots of things that can do this are not legal in the UK without a licence because they broadcast and they can interfere with everyone around you.

The MiFi systems which require their own SIM which you're probably being offered are not boosters, they are just external aerials connected to a mobile like device (which houses a SIM) and a router, which you can connect to just like a home router. They might have some amplification circuitry built in, but that's not the same as boosting as it will only amplify the data fed to the router, and not "broadcast" it into the airwaves like a booster.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
We only had no signal a few times on a 6 week trip around France/Spain/Portugal just using our phones.
Currently nearing the end of a 12 month US road trip.

Lots of people with WeBoost
I did start looking to see if it was UK compatible early on but even here in US we only did not have a signal when really
in the middle of no where and for those few occasions I did not think it was worth the $600.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Op stated he didn't want to go to the expense of router etc..weboost won't help him here

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Maybe the rules are changing :

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I have the mifi with external aerial set up but some people have said that its worth trying your phone as high up in the motorhome as possible, preferably in a skylight so that it is outside the metal box (faraday cage).
It will be a case of try it and see especially in more remote areas where the network signals aren't as strong

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Op stated he didn't want to go to the expense of router etc..weboost won't help him here
A WeBoost like system is what he is looking for "12v leisure system that can boost my mobile data inside the van".
As I stated WeBoost not UK/Europe compatible, it was an example of none router option, then requiring OP
to look if a similar system is available in UK/Europe.
Unfortunately, it is common for people to want in expensive solutions when the only solutions are expensive.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A WeBoost like system is what he is looking for "12v leisure system that can boost my mobile data inside the van".
As I stated WeBoost not UK/Europe compatible, it was an example of none router option, then requiring OP
to look if a similar system is available in UK/Europe.
Unfortunately, it is common for people to want in expensive solutions when the only solutions are expensive.
I maybe should have posted in on 2 lines

Op stated he didn't want to go to the expense of router etc..

weboost won't help him here

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I maybe should have posted in on 2 lines

Op stated he didn't want to go to the expense of router etc..

weboost won't help him here
Re line 1: WeBoost is not a router, it is a signal booster. Though may still be considered expensive $600.
Unfortunately, it is common for people to want in INexpensive (corrected from expensive) solutions when
the only solutions are expensive.
Re line 2: Post #8 "Issue is USA us different frequencies so would not work inUK/Europe."
But it may be a clue to a similar system that does work in UK/Europe.

Edited as I found some UK vehicle signal amplifier options, though I'd wait until 5G compatable.
Maybe not considered budget friendly though.

If it really works, a gudget friendly but only if your phone has 3.5mm jack or you have an adaptor

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I run the same system as you using a 7 year old Samsung phone that I bought on Ebay for £40 as out 'router. We have travelled all over Europe and UK for 3 years and rarely had any signal issues. Europe is a lot better than the UK. Very occasionally I have opened the skylight and put the phone on the roof!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There are a few signal bands in UK used by different mobile phone companies. There are signal repeaters out there for some of the frequencies. Designed to mount high on a wall outside a house and rebroadcast indoors. They are powered by a step down brick, but a suitable laptop charger will work. Don't seem to be about new, so might need to find a used one on the correct frequency. As alluded to, not technically legal at this moment as broadcasts on the licenced phone frequencies, but will do no harm out in the sticks.
The best solution with mobile data is the option you don't want with external aerial or shell out for starlink. I have a huawei router and three contract for £18 a month unlimited data

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Be aware that pushing and pulling loads of data through a phone, will eat the battery and get pretty hot. Streaming iptv on firestick uses between 1gb and 3gb per hour

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
To keep it simple, I have a waterproof container from the chippy that I put my phone in, set up as a wifi hotspot, and I put it up on the roof outside one of the roof lights if needs be, or even up in the branches of a handy tree - when dealing with radio signals of any sort, the higher the better. It needs to be positioned so the receiving item is still in the wifi footprint.

I also have a sign saying 'Phone on roof' that goes on the dashboard ....

I'm probably going to have to get another that says 'put phone on roof sign on dashboard' and stick that to the bottom of the TV screen.

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We always put our phone above the roof blind on the nearest skylight to the tv, not actually had to put it outside yet but have spoke about it, The wife always manages to get Emmerdale on wherever we are 🤣 we’re both on Vodafone but I suppose we should have one on a different contract to maximise our chances but never had a problem upto yet, obviously we will now 🙄 but if we didn’t manage to get tv for a couple of days i don’t think it would be the end of the world, wife may beg to differ though 🤣

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Thanks for all of your replies.
Have had one company get back to me with what I thought I was looking for....
https://www.mobile-signal-boosters.shop/repeater-119/
Anyone have any experience/knowledge/thoughts, all appreciated👍
They are offering 10% discount to me

I'd ask them to confirm it's UK / EU (or wherever your're going to be using it) legal. That webpage only says it will work in the UK, and that's not the same thing. I think there's a list somewhere on the ofcom/gov website of approved boosters, a link to their entry in there would be useful.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I'd ask them to confirm it's UK / EU (or wherever your're going to be using it) legal. That webpage only says it will work in the UK, and that's not the same thing. I think there's a list somewhere on the ofcom/gov website of approved boosters, a link to their entry in there would be useful.
From FAQ's:

Are mobile phone signal boosters legal in the UK?​

Though some radio equipment is considered to be illegal in the UK, our mobile signal repeaters belong to a group of license-exempt devices that can be installed for personal use.

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Thanks for all of your replies.
Have had one company get back to me with what I thought I was looking for....
https://www.mobile-signal-boosters.shop/repeater-119/
Anyone have any experience/knowledge/thoughts, all appreciated👍
They are offering 10% discount to me
Link in #14 is to their full range, and as said, though 4G will be around for a long time I'd want/wait for them to be
5G compatible. European tri-band phones typically cover the 900, 1800 and 1900 bands.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back