New tracker suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Hi,

I’ve recently bought a Motorhome with a tracker but have been told by the manufacturer that the battery is obsolete so I will have to have a new one fitted.

If I’m doing that, my market is wide open.

Any firm recommendations, any good or bad experiences?

I’m very unimpressed by the incumbent!

Thanks to all.

Tony.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi,

I’ve recently bought a Motorhome with a tracker but have been told by the manufacturer that the battery is obsolete so I will have to have a new one fitted.

If I’m doing that, my market is wide open.

Any firm recommendations, any good or bad experiences?

I’m very unimpressed by the incumbent!

Thanks to all.

Tony.
Scorpion told me that with a system that was only 5 years old. I went to Vanbitz and got a decent system fitted.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The answer to all security, alarm, tracker, engine immobiliser and Battery Master is a visit (or at least a phone call) to VanBitz in Taunton
Although its the wrong side of the country for you, it's worth the trip.
They have a campsite right next door, and Taunton is within walking distance.

They will fit all the security you need within a day

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think the issue is some systems only use 3g, so are about to become obsolete as 3g is disabled by all the networks.
Yes, I had a discussion with Vanbitz about this. However the Scorpion issue was nothing to do with 3g……..it was the updating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
In my experience most trackers are much the same, although some like VanBitz have useful add-ons. The difference is the monitoring company, and how good they are. My current MH came with a Sargent tracker, with Sargent monitoring, and its probably the worst I've ever had. The best monitoring company I have experienced was Global Telemetrics, who monitor a range of other trackers such as Autowatch and SmarTrack. They were always on the ball. So my advice is to look at the tracking company as much as the tracking product - they are not always the same firm.

Hope this helps :wink:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In my experience most trackers are much the same, although some like VanBitz have useful add-ons. The difference is the monitoring company, and how good they are. My current MH came with a Sargent tracker, with Sargent monitoring, and its probably the worst I've ever had. The best monitoring company I have experienced was Global Telemetrics, who monitor a range of other trackers such as Autowatch and SmarTrack. They were always on the ball. So my advice is to look at the tracking company as much as the tracking product - they are not always the same firm.

Hope this helps :wink:
I think that Sargent trackers have placement issues and easy to defeat. Meta (Vanbitz) systems are really on the ball with their tracking and alarm notifications. Last van I hung the fob by the door and forgot to attach it to the ignition key ring - got a phone call from them just as I drove away

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I asked this question in another thread a few days ago( no replies)
Looking on tinternet lots of fairly cheap signal blockers available for WiFi and mobile signals,seems to be being sold so you can stop people tracking/ bugging you !!!
Handheld battery powered they say switch it on put it in your vehicle it will jam/ block all mobile signals so you can't be tracked,or WiFi blocker will disable WiFi CCTV etc.( saw on TV a few months ago one being used to disable video doorbell from 15/20 MTRS.
Are the claims true,and if so surely anyone targeting high value vehicles would have one,
If true does this make trackers next to obsolete ?
Advice please from someone with technical knowledge,considering buying one.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I asked this question in another thread a few days ago( no replies)
Looking on tinternet lots of fairly cheap signal blockers available for WiFi and mobile signals,seems to be being sold so you can stop people tracking/ bugging you !!!
Handheld battery powered they say switch it on put it in your vehicle it will jam/ block all mobile signals so you can't be tracked,or WiFi blocker will disable WiFi CCTV etc.( saw on TV a few months ago one being used to disable video doorbell from 15/20 MTRS.
Are the claims true,and if so surely anyone targeting high value vehicles would have one,
If true does this make trackers next to obsolete ?
Advice please from someone with technical knowledge,considering buying one.
Trackers mostly use mobile networks (not WiFi). You can get mobile signal blockers. They are illegal. They are also pretty obvious as everyone's phone will drop in a fairly large radius. Masts have features to identify interference, so the source can be found fairly quickly. The jammer would have to stay on until the thief has deactivated the tracker. People have been arrested and prosecuted for just using short range GPS jammers.

I'd suggest it's probably a lower risk strategy to just nick the vehicle, go to an isolated spot and rip out the tracker, then move on.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Trutrak are good and easy to use
Another for Trutrack and they get topgear 5 star rating if you go for the 3 year or 5 year package the fitting and tracker are free works out about £1 per week monitored, much less than a Starbucks coffee!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got the tracker fitted by VanBitz. It's serviced by MetaTrak. The app isn't too bad. But most importantly, I've received phone calls within a minute when the tracker has detected suspicious activity. I've accidentally triggered it several times, such as when I forgot to put it in transport mode in the Eurotunnel and the train started moving. Or a few times (😅) when I've disconnected the battery without putting it in service mode.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think the issue is some systems only use 3g, so are about to become obsolete as 3g is disabled by all the networks.
That would make more sense than a battery being obsolete. If they told me the battery story I would suspect they just don't want to support the product.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Trackers mostly use mobile networks (not WiFi). You can get mobile signal blockers. They are illegal. They are also pretty obvious as everyone's phone will drop in a fairly large radius. Masts have features to identify interference, so the source can be found fairly quickly. The jammer would have to stay on until the thief has deactivated the tracker. People have been arrested and prosecuted for just using short range GPS jammers.

I'd suggest it's probably a lower risk strategy to just nick the vehicle, go to an isolated spot and rip out the tracker, then move on.
Was aware they use GSM.Only mentioned WiFi as a lot of people rely on it for home cameras etc,I only thought about it when looking at home ,outside meter box with breaker in it,hard wired cameras,mobile internet,various WiFi devices Inc doorbell...all dead if mains off so creating totally seperate 12v system,and thinking of security for van,
As for a tracker if it's not jammed then off down a quiet road and rip it out,or a combination of the 2... don't think I'll bother,will find some( multiple) ways to deter Mr. naughty and multi level ways of movement prevention.
Thanks for info ref GSM system

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
My insurance is with Trinity Lane via Adrian Flux, they supplied their own tracker which was a little self fit item and obviously of a specification that was approved by the underwriter. I think the cost was £90 additional on the premium, it's self powered and will be automatically replaced at two years of age (I think) all in the deal.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Meta Track products & monitoring are all 1st class, its just having to bit the bullet and pay the IMHO very high tracking subs, which are renewable every year or max 3 years. I no longer need to have a tracker with Comfort Insurance as I valued the van less than 75K at 74,999.00(y)
It does have a Strikeback Growler alarm though, which has worked without fault since fitted new 7 years ago.
LES

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Gps blockers are easier to use, mobile signal blockers are normally a generation behind phone tech...not 5g.

I have tracker brought from amazon for £60, 4g tech and works via a giff gaff sim, £10 every 6 months.

If thieves nick the van I know about it, would I want it back......I'm not to sure tbh and getting the police to chase a gps signal around would be an ordeal I'm sure.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I've got an unapproved one but next van can't insure without an approved tracker & alarm.
I think even if you've not got an approved one, you'll be limited in which underwrtiers accept you in first place.

Your "current" insurer may not offer a 5% or 10% discount, but you may open 5-10 other underwriters when talking about a broker, which may exceed that.

I'm all for unapproved trackers in addition to apporved, but unapproved usually equals shoddily or manually hidden in a van, not wired into the wiring harness without any visable signs. My understanding is the entire point of a Thatchem s5 tracker is you can be assured it's wired in, hidden in a diffent place on each install, so no standardisation, and the quality of install is such a thief can't easily identify the "where".

In our case we do also keep an airtag hidden as a final line of defence (hidden in such a way any sound it makes would not be found).

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I think even if you've not got an approved one, you'll be limited in which underwrtiers accept you in first place.

Your "current" insurer may not offer a 5% or 10% discount, but you may open 5-10 other underwriters when talking about a broker, which may exceed that.

I'm all for unapproved trackers in addition to apporved, but unapproved usually equals shoddily or manually hidden in a van, not wired into the wiring harness without any visable signs. My understanding is the entire point of a Thatchem s5 tracker is you can be assured it's wired in, hidden in a diffent place on each install, so no standardisation, and the quality of install is such a thief can't easily identify the "where".

In our case we do also keep an airtag hidden as a final line of defence (hidden in such a way any sound it makes would not be found).
I thought S5 meant unless you have the tag or driver ID the tracker sends an alert to the monitoring system. Also you can additionally have remote engine cut off so the company liaise with police to cut engine when safe to do so.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I thought S5 meant unless you have the tag or driver ID the tracker sends an alert to the monitoring system. Also you can additionally have remote engine cut off so the company liaise with police to cut engine when safe to do so.
Yeah, it does, but it also specifys min installation quality which is the point I'm making. It' snot just about the control centre and driver ID, it's about the quality of the install in terms of how well hidden the tracker is..

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Gps blockers are easier to use, mobile signal blockers are normally a generation behind phone tech...not 5g.

I have tracker brought from amazon for £60, 4g tech and works via a giff gaff sim, £10 every 6 months.

If thieves nick the van I know about it, would I want it back......I'm not to sure tbh and getting the police to chase a gps signal around would be an ordeal I'm sure.
Just had a quick Google GPS,3 G,4G,5G blocker £300, Suppose the "approved trackers have the advantage of acting as an imobiliser as well that blocking would not dissable

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Just had a quick Google GPS,3 G,4G,5G blocker £300, Suppose the "approved trackers have the advantage of acting as an imobiliser as well that blocking would not dissable
How would they know the van has moved if they haven't got the vans location. Tbh I would separate the immobiliser and tracker , ghost immobiliser and a separate tracker, if i was really serious on security.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
The van won't start without a fob or code so acts firstly as an imobiliser if bypassed or put on a lowloader then tracked ( if a blocker wasn't used )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back