New Cello TV - pleasantly surprised that the sound is much improved! (1 Viewer)

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
I needed to replace my (not very old) Cello TV as the screen had cracked leading to black horizontal and vertical areas
PXL_20230628_145258769.jpg
I have a couple of ideas about the cause of the crack - will come onto those later...
Looked at other options including Avtex (much more expensive), Sharp (bigger and much heavier) and a couple of others, but decided that the best bet was to try another Cello, particularly as they are £149.99 straight from the manufacturer with free shipping.

I ordered what I thought was an exact new for old replacement - certainly looked like it from the spec and pictures, but the product codes were different. The old was a ZRTMF0222, the new a C2220FS.

The first thing I noticed on plugging in the new version was that it has a new and more modern looking user interface

PXL_20230628_145543840.jpg
The real shock though was once it had finished scanning for channels and starting showing some TV. The sound! The old Cello had a sort of hollow, tinny sound that made it difficult to hear what was going on unless you turned it up quite loud - lots of people have mentioned this. The new one isn't exactly HiFi quality, but it's a big step up - the sound is a lot clearer and lacks the hollow/tinny effect almost completely.

It was such a shock that I ended up having to plug the old back in and check that I wasn't imaging it. I set the volume on both models to '10' and the new one was about 8db louder according to a sound meter app on my phone (measured both from the same distance).

On the down side, the new model came without a 12V lead (no worries, had one of those anyway) and has no physical on/off switch underneath like the old one did. If that becomes an issue I can pop a switch into the 12V lead.

Overall, a big improvement to one of the weak points of the older Cello TVs.

As to why the screen cracked - could be vibration from good old British roads or it could be that I got the mounting point a bit low so that when I lifted the cushion on the bench seat to access the locker, the cushion pushed up on the base of the TV at pretty much the exact point where the crack happened. Too much pressure there? I have tried to address both problems by rebuilding the mounting arm with a lot of rubber washers in various places to give it a bit of flex (and threadlok to stop the bolts coming undone) and also raising the mounting position a couple of cm.

Let's hope this one lasts!

cheers,

Robin

Feb 8, 2023
Rainhill
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 Sun Ti
Exp
moho since 2012
thanks for this review, really helpful.

Been looking for a telly,
I'll plump for the Cello after your review.

Frank

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a new Cello and I agree the sound quality is a huge improvement. Don't know why we bother as we never actually watch it but swmbo insists that a TV is a necessity.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
but the product codes were different. The old was a ZRTMF0222, the new a C2220FS.
The C2220FS is a standard domestic TV.

The ZRTMF0222 is the Traveller version designed for Caravans and Motorhomes, it has a much wider viewing angle and a stabilised 12v power supply.

Last van we had a 19" Traveller and current van a 22" Traveller.
Been pleased with them, picture quality good, not bothered about the sound as I wire them through the head unit.

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
I have to say that I didn't notice any obvious differences in the viewing angles when I was testing the two models out, although I was paying more attention to the sound at that point. Having used the new TV on a couple of trips recently, it was perfectly watchable from both sides of the van.

If I ever get a bit of spare time I will get the old model out again (stored in the garage for potential spare parts) and do a side-by-side test, but given they were physically identical aside from the on/off switch I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same display panel and that the differences are just marketing...

cheers,

Robin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2023
Rainhill
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 Sun Ti
Exp
moho since 2012
Any comments on the DVD portal? they used to be pretty poor on most models.

I'm gonna sort movies on a pen drive eventually, but would like the facility of DVD too.

Lenny HB, I assume the traveller spec to accommodate the rigours being lugged about in a van?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Any comments on the DVD portal? they used to be pretty poor on most models.

I'm gonna sort movies on a pen drive eventually, but would like the facility of DVD too.

Lenny HB, I assume the traveller spec to accommodate the rigours being lugged about in a van?
We have never had any problems with Cello's current one is 6 years old and we have been down some really rough tracks.
DVD works fine don't use it much these days as we mostly stream.

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Noticed Cello do one with a 10hour battery too, anyone any experience with this model? Would relieve some stress from our lowly lead acid.

Feb 8, 2023
Rainhill
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 Sun Ti
Exp
moho since 2012
oh no not more choice, my head can't take it :Eeek:

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I recently purchased one of there Web Os traveller TVs and have to say that the sound is very poor, I purchase a nice Sony Bluetooth speaker which works great.
The other problem is regarding it's WiFi connection, which at the moment won't work, had the problem once before and with there helpline managed to reset TV back to factory settings but you then have to reinstall all Apps, then download all the updates then finally sign in to them all, unsure whether to return it to be honest.
Currently using it with a firestick which defeats the object of a smart TV.
Web Os model appears be built on LG software as its almost identical to my new home TV.

Jul 20, 2023
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL Auto
Exp
Limited motorhome and campervan hire previously.
Just for reference, I have just received and connected up a Web OS Traveller and I can say with confidence that it is the worst sound I have experienced for a product over £20!!!. Put it through an Anker powered speaker and it was a complete transformation. Will investigate replacement speakers, if I decide not to return it, which quite frankly I think I should. Seems there is a new chassis with better sound and those units do not have the rocker switch underneath which my one has.
As an engineer, I could not put my name to a product with such poor sound, the picture and facilities are all acceptable otherwise. If you don't mind the additional cost of a Blue Tooth speaker then OK, viewing angles are acceptable except vertically from above, its OK below!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had Cello's in the last two vans, all small TV's have poor sound so I never use it. I always wire them to my head unit.

Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Just fitted one in the bedroom on our carthago, swapping the 24" non smart Alphatronics. What a bloody job that was!!, power supply ok, but the bracket needed cutting, new holes drilling etc, anyway job done and I am happy with the results.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back