Nesting Doves (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've had some collared doves nesting in the garden and two chicks hatched last week
Unfortunately the local moggie got to them at two days old :mad:
Chicks killed and nest destroyed.
The doves are still around and I've seen them today with twigs in beaks around the same tree.
Does anyone have any suggestions on either how to persuade them to nest somewhere else or protect them from the moggies ?
It's really upsetting to see the chicks being carried off, I know it's nature but I'd like to try and prevent it again if possible

DSC_6674.JPG

DSC_6688.JPG

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
They are illegal immigrants from Asia šŸ˜Ž
Get a gun or Larsen trap and kill the magpies. šŸ˜‰

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Figaro I feel your pain we had a dovecote when we first moved in here and we put 6 beautiful white doves in it. They bred over and over again, we had doves all over the place but a Sparrowhawk took them all. We moved the dovecote during some building works and the remaining doves disappeared. I was sitting in the garden one day and heard a couple of my neighbours walking down the lane saying how lovely it was that some beautiful doves were nesting in one of their barns. I often wonder if they were mine:unsure:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sadly we had the same last year with collared doves building a pathetically sketchy nest on our gazebo.

Unlike yourself with cats the local jackdaws took the chicks on the day they hatched.

I am not sure you can do much more than try to encourage them to nest elsewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Other than putting a nesting box up for them there is nothing you can do for as soon as the vulnerable chicks venture out for the first time they will be killed by something:cry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have about 75 fat pet hedge sparrows just yards from the kitchen window, sometimes you have to shout to make yourself heard over the chirping. It's wonderful watching them, feed, play, sunbathe and sing. But it's also awesome to watch the Sparrow Hawk come in at 50mph to snatch one. He has quite a few unsuccessful attempts before he gets fed. I've seen him in frustration actually chase birds through the middle of the hawthorn hedge, but he doesn't stand a chance in there. When he gets one, though, it's a spectacular display of speed and skill. It's not sad, it's just nature.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Yes, I have to agree with you Jim the speed and skill of the Sparrowhawk is awesome. But I don't like the way he rips the bird apart while it is still alive. I wish he would just kill outright first.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I've had some collared doves nesting in the garden and two chicks hatched last week
Unfortunately the local moggie got to them at two days old :mad:
Chicks killed and nest destroyed.
The doves are still around and I've seen them today with twigs in beaks around the same tree.
Does anyone have any suggestions on either how to persuade them to nest somewhere else or protect them from the moggies ?
It's really upsetting to see the chicks being carried off, I know it's nature but I'd like to try and prevent it again if possible

View attachment 888741
View attachment 888742
That's a tough one because, if the Doves can get there, birds like Magpies can also BUT, if you wrap barbed wire around the trunk of the tree for about a couple of feet, moggies don't like it.
Good luck! šŸ¤ž

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back