Need help understanding battery charger in 2005 Auto Trail 635 SE (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 635 SE
Hi, Just inherited a 2005 Auto Trail 635 SE and although all the handbooks seem to be present I can’t find any reference to what appears to be a battery charger fixed in the left hand compartment above the leisure battery. It’s labelled as a “digital power inverter” and has a short lead with a 3 pin plug attached. Is this a battery maintainer, if so does it charge the vehicle and leisure batteries, and is it designed to be left on for long periods ? Very new to the mobile home community and hope someone can help me with this…. Regards

IMG_1860.jpeg

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
That's a power inverter that takes power from your 12v leisure batteries and converts in that allows you to use 230v appliances like you would at home. Laptops..tvs..fridge etc as if you were on ehu

Only up to the rating of the inverter. Which looks like 700w so small power items.

Obviously I'm assuming if its connected and fused up properly.

You will have some substantial fused pos and neg wires to the leisure batteries.

There will be a standard 3 pin plug outlet on the inverter where you can use small 230v appliances.

12v in one end Laptop and telly power out the other.
I've used laptop as an example.but most laptops can be used from 12v with an adapter socket which saves power.

What size ah and type of leisure batteries do you have.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect it is also what is called a modified sine wave inverter. These are fine for most applications but be careful attaching anything with electronics in them as there could be issues. The commonest problems reported seem to be with rechargeable electric tooth brushes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
nigebarrett
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 635 SE
Thanks for the reply.. the battery is a platinum leisure plus, 100ah. I was hoping the inverter was long term battery maintainer, but clearly not. Not sure why it’s necessary as if I need power I can just plug into one of the internal sockets. Anyway thanks again for clarifying it for me. Regards Nigel

OP
OP
nigebarrett
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 635 SE
Just reread the reply … I take it the inverter is what powers up the internal sockets. What confused me is the other box of tricks (psu2007) which I thought did it all.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just reread the reply … I take it the inverter is what powers up the internal sockets. What confused me is the other box of tricks (psu2007) which I thought did it all.
I wouldn't assume anything until you've investigated further. Unless the system has a change over relay it won't feed all the sockets. You first need to work out how to turn it on. There may be a large clunky switch somewhere. If you can turn it on then see if any sockets have 240 volts, when not attached to EHU of course.

You only get 5 free posts here so use your remaining two wisely. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
It will only power the sockets that the person installed it to, or even not, most just use it by attaching am extension lead to one of the sockets out of the inverter and use that.
You will soon tell if no cables come from the 230v side inverter already.
if you have more pics we could probably advise more.

what other box of tricks PSU 2007 ? that will probably be the vans main board/charger for use when plugged in on ehu (sargent sytem maybe ec200 or something)

OH and remember when its switched on it will use up to an amp per hour just doing nothing

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
assuming things leads to disappointment with these things. A friend asked me to look at the electrics in their van, as the sockets worked when plugged in at home but not when in a lay by etc. It took some explaining to convince them that you only have 12volts DC from the battery if not plugged in. The 3pin sockets are dead unless you can plug in a hook up cable or have an inverter wired in. Think of it like an extension lead.

On a 2005 van, expect the battery charger to be a basic single stage charger. Mains in 13.8v dc out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back