Narrowboat (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Each to their own... Give me my motorhome ANY day.
Err, actually, all this talk about canal boats is reminding me how much I want one:eek:

Our plan is to do a little while longer with the van then sell it, buy a canal boat and 'cruise' the entire UK canal system:D No traffic, no campsites, no fee's........... just 'wild' boating LOL.

We love canal boats and have hired a few over the years. You are right, it takes time to get the best out of it:)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Err, actually, all this talk about canal boats is reminding me how much I want one:eek:

Our plan is to do a little while longer with the van then sell it, buy a canal boat and 'cruise' the entire UK canal system:D No traffic, no campsites, no fee's........... just 'wild' boating LOL.

We love canal boats and have hired a few over the years. You are right, it takes time to get the best out of it:)
Now THAT I CAN understand... To me, as said, the problem was that if only doing weekends or one week a year due to working .. you never really get anywhere.. Hope you have a brilliant time ... PLEASE though come back when you do it and let us know if it was the right decision. Thank you. :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
PLEASE though come back when you do it and let us know if it was the right decision. Thank you. :)

Hmm, that's a difficult one.........

3 years full time on a sailing yacht......... tick

1 year full time in the camper van...........tick

How long on a canal boat?.......................dunno

I don't think I've ever made a right decision in my life (well apart from marrying my lovely wife) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
What a lovely memory Vic... Thanks for sharing. :)

Hi Joy the narrowboat was not ours........

Our boat was 26' long. I knew nothing about sailing apart from a weekend on the Solent and had not been to sea before. We set off for Calais, it was almost disaster from the first minute...............like a scene from a Carry On film...We made it though, through the French canals from Calais to the Med using Michelin road maps. Almost every day something went wrong....but we had a great time(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for that but my wife was the brave one ...........having faith in me:doh:..........

She's as daft as you then, no-one in their right minds crosses the world's busiest chipping lane in a chug chug little barge.

I remember the guy in TV ( who eventually shipped his boat to the USA ) making a real song and dance of it. I think I've got his book somewhere, good read.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Twenty years ago I spent eight years living (on a residential mooring - all pucker) in the middle of Regents Park on a converted working boat, big hand start Lister JP2 engine, riveted hull - twas a thing of beauty. Had purchased her up in Macclesfield and used to move her around to different sites during my holidays so saw a lot of the canal system. Happy days.

View attachment 49099

Grade 111 insulation thankfully and no temperamental Truma
View attachment 49100
I very nearly bought 'Africa' myself in 1987, from Simon Greer. She was moored on the Macc at Kerridge, but then had a glass cratch. What finally put me off was the length of the prop shaft, and the constant failings of the thrust blocks, possibly because the very long shaft wasn't true.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My 'captain' poses on the Lancaster. :):)

DCP_0782.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I very nearly bought 'Africa' myself in 1987, from Simon Greer. She was moored on the Macc at Kerridge, but then had a glass cratch. What finally put me off was the length of the prop shaft, and the constant failings of the thrust blocks, possibly because the very long shaft wasn't true.

I got her from Simon in 1990 and by then the prop shaft had been sorted. I had her for eight years put the steel cratch on (London!), I fitted some car boot struts which meant you could open it out like a gullwing mercedes in the summer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back