Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Cheers Brian, they call me Kylie in the car club 'cos I keep spinning round and round:xwink:. It was a good catch at the end of the rotation thoughx:-). several things conspired to cause that spin:
1, I was running new tyres but in two different compounds, soft to the front and medium to the rear.
2. The track was still cold as were the tyres.
3. I had been trying to convince myself that I didn't need to brake for that particular corner, just a lift would do and this was my first attempt at no brakes into that corner.
4. Over exuberance on my part.

I nearly made it but the tail broke right, I caught it but it tankslapped to the left, nearly caught that but a touch of over correction (and lifting off the loud pedal) put it out to the right again where it hit the grass and that was game over. At one point (about 180 degrees into the spin I thought I was going into the pond behind the barriers backwards but it just kept going round and came back to the track. The only damage was a dent in the nearside front wing where it hit the tyres just before it came back on track.

On my last run where I clocked 67.08 I did manage that corner with no brakes:xsurprised:!!

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
is that because you had none. or really great driving. the later I hope.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Brakes were fine so it was big nuts and eyes tight shut:xwink:. Truth is with hindsight I've realised that if I can take that corner without braking then I'm approaching it too slowly anyway:xblink:.

D.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Yep good fun, we only had 3 wheels though :) you out again next season?

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yep good fun, we only had 3 wheels though :) you out again next season?

Yup, nothing major doing to the car this year just polybushing front suspension and geo setup. My son is coming along this year to share drive the car, we'll see if he can show an owd un how it should be done. Members practice weekend Easter but I can't make any competition weekends till June because of motorhome shows.

D.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
go on dave show him how it is done. and I prefer to be on 4 wheels, than on three. there's is no way I would be a sidecar passenger. to much of a wimp. but good luck for the next year dave.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Wow I'd forgotten about this thread. Well the news is I'm still hillclimbing, my son Phil has shared the car and was quicker than me up till a month ago when I beat his PB by 0.12 seconds. We're actually at the end of my season which has gone really well, the car has moved on since the vid clips in this thread and now runs on CBR600 bike throttle bodies and produces a very healthy 157 BHP. Two months ago Loton was completely resurfaced and the new track is outstanding, the grip levels are quite frightening. I've only done the Loton Park Allswage championship this year which consists of ten rounds but we only score our best seven. Our final two rounds are this Saturday and Sunday and as it stands at the moment I'm leading class three (until you take into account dropped scores when I drop to second by 1.12 points). This weekend will be pretty intense for the top three in class three, myself, Mark Honey (the real leader) and Stuart Stelling with only a whisker over 4 points separating 1st and 3rd. Scoring is based on a "bogey time" which is your PB plus 8 seconds, for every hundredth of a second you beat your PB in competition runs you score one hundredth of a point up to a max of ten points. So over the two days this weekend I need to be quicker than Mark by 1.13 seconds in total to win the championship class. My curreent PB is 65.73 seconds (to put this into perspective Scott Moran holds the outright record at Loton with 43. summat seconds:eek::eek: but he does drive a 460KG single seater with big wings and slick tyres and 640BHP 3.5 litre V8 engine. My best speed through the speed trap at the top is 74MPH, Scotts is over 140MPH!).

Wish me luck guys and I'll post some vids next week if anyone is interested.

D.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Well done that man. We are looking forward to these vids. Hope all goes well this weekend.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Cheers guys, I will definitely be tryin, just hope the weather plays ball for us. Here's a photo of the engine bay, just to whet your appetites
D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
IMG_20170823_160632.jpg

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Do you ever get to Shelsly or Prescott

Not Yet, Well Not With The Car Anyway. Went To Prescott Back In Feb For Marshal Training And Shelsley A Couple Of Weeks Ago For The 70 Yrs Of Bhc Champs Weekend. Ultimately Id Love To Tackle Both Those Hills As Well As Several More, We'll See what happens in future years.

D.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not Yet, Well Not With The Car Anyway. Went To Prescott Back In Feb For Marshal Training And Shelsley A Couple Of Weeks Ago For The 70 Yrs Of Bhc Champs Weekend. Ultimately Id Love To Tackle Both Those Hills As Well As Several More, We'll See what happens in future years.

D.

Nice one

Let me know when you get over this way I'll come along.
I've driven Prescott as a "parade" lap :D that was lively :)
Not been up Shelsly though.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Prescott is a great Hill one of my favorites back in the day (y)

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Well that's it all over with for another year. Had a great weekend, car ran beautifully and never missed a beat. Chipped a little more off my personal best time yesterday but didn't quite do enough for the championship, preliminary checks it looks like I got fourth. Vids later.

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Here's a couple of links to the best runs from Saturday and Sunday.

There are more vids but I've been plagued with IT problems and slow internet all afternoon, I'll try to do some more tomorrow evening.

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Here's a composite vid of both runs, top is Saturdays, bottom is sundays. You can see that the difference came almost entirely from running tywo wheels on the grass at Fletchers Dellow (3rd corner).

Enjoy, D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back