Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
HI,I saw a motorhome using an aqaroll for his fresh water supply ie by-passing internal water tank,does any funster know if there is a lot of work involved, with fittings and pump ,i think this woud be a good idea and the drinking water would be fresher,thanks for any tips,jabbaman:thumb::thumb:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I use an Aquaroll to feed my main tank when on extended stays in one place, I use a 12v pump Whale pump to transfer the water. Seems like a good idea to feed it straight to the taps, so will watch this space ::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Never actually tried it for real, but according to the handbook, my van is set up to do just that if required, via the Truma hose fitting which contains the connectors for the external pump; it is switched over on the control panel. Thus far I have only used the external pump for topping up the tank, which it does pretty well (just as well considering that the only other way is through the dedicated hose)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van has an external 12v socket and came with a submersible pump fitted with a plug for that socket. We bought a 24 litre plastic jerry can rather than an aquaroll when we bought the van (much lighter/compact/cheaper) and use that to top up the water tank on site rather than move the van to a tap or trail hoses all over the place.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Have been thinking about an Aquaroll but like Brian says it's big and bulky, so where to store it other than the shower?
Can't find a collapsable one either:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The main source of contaminated water is the site tap itself ( observe what others do at site taps.. makes my blood boil :Angry: ) so using a bottle or container is no guarantee of clean water .. to combat this I always spray the site tap with disinfectant or bleach before connecting my filling hose... I've had some odd looks but I don't care .. health comes first.

Also, 'standing water' ie in an Aquaroll , is a breeding ground for bacteria...

Fit one of these and never worry again about having fresh clean and safe drinking water ..

http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Personaly I always fill up on my way into site with 10 mtr hose then use a 10 ltr collapsable water bottle with a funnel ,as space& wieght are at a premium. I always use m/h everyday (hence my name Fidget) and move on every couple of days, hate going back to same site when on tour.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have lent motorhomers and 5 th wheeler my Aquaroll. Use a 12 volt submersible pump to move water across.

Used it for the RV to when tap is miles away and set up.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I don't, those things are massive, MHs have only so much storage.

We have a couple of 5l bottles for drinking water.

Same here. "Tank" water is used for washing / showering only.

Our van has an external 12v socket and came with a submersible pump fitted with a plug for that socket. We bought a 24 litre plastic jerry can rather than an aquaroll when we bought the van (much lighter/compact/cheaper) and use that to top up the water tank on site rather than move the van to a tap or trail hoses all over the place.

Watering can.
Poorer than G&J, cant afford fancy kit!

Tuggers and aquarolls.
Is there a tugger law that says these things must be filled and rumbled past my van at six o'clock in the bloody morning, when normal folk are still abed?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Tuggers and aquarolls.
Is there a tugger law that says these things must be filled and rumbled past my van at six o'clock in the bloody morning, when normal folk are still abed?

No - that is emptying the waste hog. The Aquaroll run is about 1130pm so that they all have water for a shower and a cuppa in the morning. Then they do the waste hog at 0600 because they forgot to do it the night before and can't have a shower until it is emptied....... :Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use the water from the main tank for everything.. Always have done .

I use a weird blue square water carrier to fill up if I canna get to a tap with the hose.. It has small wheels on the bottom and in all honesty is a bit of a huff and quite wobbly to pull along, but it stores well ( being the shape of a small suitcase ) and holds 8 gallons at a time

Bought a wee whale pump off of Cheyne ( Upmarket Hippy ) nd have used that ever since to pump from said carrier in to tank..

At the Bring and Buy on Grommets table, found a water filler cap with a hose connector built in so that is now on the other end to the pump .. Simples !

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
My Aquaroll is stored in the shower cubicle when en route to South of France, we stay for a month on a beachfront pitch and like to get settled in, with the aquaroll we have no need to move to get filled up and I use a 38ltr wastemaster rolling waste container (both from caravaning days) to empty the grey water every 3 days or so. We have a motorbike on board and cycles, with the traffic in an around St Tropez, Port Grimaud & St Maxime it is pretty pointless trying to drive anyway.

Off again in a couple of weeks and have already filled my new Fiamma Ultra box 3. WOW! it is enormous, swallowed up the wastemaster, ally chairs, tables and windbreaks, managed to keep the load to 45kg as most items are more bulk than weight :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the way i see it, the only advantage feeding the taps this way would be to remove the fixed water tank to free up storage space.

its like having fitted gas heating and using a cabinet gas heater instead :Doh:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
HI,I saw a motorhome using an aqaroll for his fresh water supply ie by-passing internal water tank,does any funster know if there is a lot of work involved, with fittings and pump ,i think this woud be a good idea and the drinking water would be fresher,thanks for any tips,jabbaman:thumb::thumb:
To answer the original question - I used to have a caravan with on-board tank and had to transfer water from aquaroll to the tank using the usual submersible pump. Having had caravans without the on-board tank , it always seemed easier to use it straight from the aquaroll so I enquired at my local caravan service yard and was told it was quite simple and would cost around the £50 mark with the outside connection and a by-pass valve, so may be worth asking your local fitter.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
aqua roll

We got fed up either moving the truck or rolling out all that flat hose pipe to fill up the water tank.
So I fitted a similar set up to our motorhome that Graham has, a 12v outlet in the storage compartment in the back, when the fresh water tank gets low just wheel the aqua roll to the filler drop the whale pump into the aqua roll and top up the tank simples.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used an aquaroll on a temporary basis for a while when my water tank split. It was a simple matter of disconnecting the hose from the tank to the Shurflo pump and putting on a longer hose to dunk in the aquaroll. If you wanted to do this long term you would want to fit a proper connector on the outside of the van

If your current tank uses a submersible pump you could either get a new one for the aquaroll or possibly use the existing one.

I still carry the aquaroll, on my bike rack, as I don't carry bikes, and with a short hose and a cheap submersible pump its very useful for filling the tank.

I don't actually think it is a good idea to permanently replace your water tank with an aquaroll though, as it would mean you had no water while on the move, many aires do not have water for example. Also most MH water tanks are easier to clean than an aquaroll as they usually have big inspection covers you can get an arm in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back