1. Untitled Document

Mobile broadband

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Daveo2006, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Funster

Morning all, I want to take a laptop away with us when we head for the Highlands.I understand i can use a "Dongle" if there is no Wifi available .Can anybody advise on where to buy,networks and most of all how they work.Many thanks.:Blush:
  2. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Funster

i got mine from carphone warehouse, check online to see which network will give you the best coverage for where you're going. stick it in your laptop usb port and follow the instructions that pop up.easy peasy :BigGrin:
  3. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Funster

Rather than buy a dongle why don't you just tether your mobile phone to your laptop and you get the same result, supposing of course you have free data on your phone.
  4. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Funster

good idea if your network allows you to do this for free
  5. GJH

GJH Funster

If you only want to use one device (e.g. laptop) then a USB attached dongle (or phone) will be fine. If you want to use a number of devices or a tablet which doesn't have a USB connection then you probably need a MiFi/Mobile WiFi device.

The web sites of the various mobile companies have coverage maps showing signal strength in different areas.
  6. oldun

oldun Funster

Do remember that campsites are often remote and have very poor or no mobile phone signal. Though a dongle is very useful there is no guarantee that it will work on site.
  7. oldun

oldun Funster

Not sure that all providers allow the use of tethering!