Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Can someone please explain the operation of a mifi.
Am I correct in thinking is receives the signal then rebroadcast it.
I know that anyone in range can use it is there a limit to the number of users (I have a vague idea it is limited to 5 users).
what is the range in clear view.
Do users need a key to use it or is it open house and if a key can it be changed daily/weekly etc.
How secure is your personal info if you allow mifi sharing.
Do multiple connections reduce the speed of your own access.
Are the units waterproof.
One final thought will a mifi connect via a fon connection?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
MiFi - You use the device to connect to a cellular network and the box of tricks provides a local WiFi hotspot.

There are dongle, standalone and rechargeable units. There is plenty of choice and options to use different SIM cards.

I'd suggest a search on here for more info, it's been discussed a few times.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger PM your mate CH, Brian he put me onto them :winky: it basicaly uses a sim data card and you can conect upto five devices vian wifi :thumb:You have a key number to conect so only you can conect and use your data allowance,or you can give the key to others.My mifi cost less than 50 quid and the sim card was 12 quid for 90 days 1 GB data per 30 days = 3 GB total use it or loose it. Then I bought a 12 mths card for £22 which gives only 250mb (quarter GB) download but with unlimited surfing and this is prooving the cheapest optiopn :thumb:Works anywhere you can get a telephone signal on whatever network you get -the 90 days one was with 3 and the 12 mths one is on t mob
terry
Link Removed
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Hi Terry will it also work in Europe. Had heard that you need to get an unlocked one and put in a Euro SIm Card?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have only used Vodafone equipment.

I started with a "Sharing Dock". You plugged your normal dongle into the device, plugged the dock into a power supply and then you could share your internet between 5 things. The more things using it the slower it is. Each user had to log in with the password.It was great but you had to plug it in to some supply.

Next I got Vodafone's first mobile wi-fi device. You put in your data sim card and charged up its internal battery. Much better. It was faster and you could carry it with you. It lasted for hours depending on usage.

Two or three weeks ago I got the newest model, the R205 which does the same as above but faster. It also has a slot for a micro sim card which you can use to share files between connected devices. The range varies but up to 30 metres I believe. I am never far away from it as I slip it into my pocket when out of the van. My data contract is "unlimited" and costs €37 a month. I use Skype for all my phone calls out and texts out.

You can control the password and admin from your laptop but have not learnt how yet. Too busy using it to watch highlights of a recent footy match...

Hope this helps.

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry will it also work in Europe. Had heard that you need to get an unlocked one and put in a Euro SIm Card?

Hi the mifi is unlocked but I have no idea if it works abroard :Doh:If it's any help I know that it does not work in parts of Whitby moors but then again my 3 phone does not work :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
Pm chesterrfield hooligan HE MAY KNOW :winky:
terry

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
MIFI Abroad

Hi, I've got a 3 Mifi device which is locked to their SIM only.
For £2.99 I bought an unlock code via ebay, then bought a vodaphone Portugal data sim from one of their shops in Portugal ( €10 buys 10 Gig download valid for 6 months ) worked great ( you have to set the device up for vodafone, info readily available on the net).
On return to Blighty put the 3Sim back in and worked no probs, as you can see.
:Smile:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
For £2.99 I bought an unlock code via ebay, then bought a vodaphone Portugal data sim from one of their shops in Portugal ( €10 buys 10 Gig download valid for 6 months ) worked great ( you have to set the device up for vodafone, info readily available on the net).

Old fozzie, was it a problem unlocking it as I paid a tenner to unlock my huawei 386 and it still hasn't worked.?
Thanks.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Was it really €10 for 10 (ten) gig? :Eeek:

JJ:Cool:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
You may also like to look at 3G routers which do the same thing. They are unlocked and will work on any network with any SIM.

Solwise have a good selection. You can read their manuals to see how they work.

There is a company that sells a large range of them called 3grouterstore but they have an extremely large range and is for anoraks only!

Cheers

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
Unlocked

I have a 3 unlocked Huawei. I use a micro sim in it and then I can use it on my main computer and then fit it in the Ipad for walking around. It works on the sims in France, Germany, Spain,etc. Before this I had many unlocked USB modems with limited success.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back