MiFi Antenna (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Just picked up a new to us Apache 700 van which has no mifi so looking to install something suitable for streaming and browsing etc.
I've seen 2in1 (V2-12) and 5in1 (V2-15) offerings from Poynting, not sure if I would benefit from one over the other for what I want to do, maybe the experts on here can advise?
Also any more economic solutions worth considering? I also noticed some cheaper 'puck' things but know nothing about them.

I am considering pairing the antenna with a Huawei B535, either a 232 or a 333 unless there is something better for similar cost I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
A lot of us seem to be moving onto Starlink ....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having just checked the V2-17 has a 4*4 Mimo which is good except you will need to use a router with 4 antenna connections.

I don't think you will be disappointed by the V2-12, I have an earlier Poynting model which works well.

You can connect them to a mifi but you need one with (two) external antenna connections. The Huawei models you mention don't seem to have them, the antenna will be internal.

Have a look at Teltonika routers, they are a bit "industrial" but they work. Downside is they are not the cheapest, the RUT950 is close to ÂŁ200 and you will need to make up a 12 volt power cable. I just ordered another power supply and cut the output cable off it so I got the correct plug although in theory you can buy these plugs from component retailers if you know what to order. I did this so I could still use the router in the house using the original power supply.

I can't recommend the Puck antennas, they are a bit compromised with a very long cable. The distance between the antenna and the MiFi/router should be as short as possible.

Have a rummage around on the Solwise site where you will find a lot of interesting articles. Here's an example.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They are on V3 now, the V3-12 is cellular data (2G, 3G & 4G)
The 3-15 has the addition of Wifi & GPS, the Wifi enables you to boost reception of a Wifi signal e.g. the campsites Wifi you will need a router that have Wifi reception to make use of it The GPS you good feed to your satnav providing it has an external aerial connection.

I wouldn't bother with a Puck they have very limited gain in the 800 mhz bandwidth which is often used on rural cell transmissions.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A lot of us seem to be moving onto Starlink ....
Look forward to hearing how you get on with it. This link is from someone using it which suggests it isn't a complete solution.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
May depend on the exact version on the 5577 only the 5577C has them.
They are mifi’s and mine is a router which the op was thinking of getting.

OP
OP
Miggs
Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
May depend on the exact version on the 5577 only the 5577C has them.
Yes, the B535 has 2 external antenna connections.
I thought of this one as there seems to be a plentiful supply of used ones about for not a lot of cash.
I am open to suggestions for an alternative, for example someone mentioned the Netgear M2 is supposed to be very good?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Look forward to hearing how you get on with it. This link is from someone using it which suggests it isn't a complete solution.

thanks for the link, but as we are not and dont intend to live the 'van life' and certainly not in the United States, i am comfortable with my choice to 'experiment' myself and learn as much as i can from others. for me it doesnt have to be perfect, just a lot better than what i currently do, but as you suggest, time will tell ! (y)

i dont think anything is a complete solution, one size never fits all, other than a shroud !

Reactions: DBK

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Yes, the B535 has 2 external antenna connections.
I thought of this one as there seems to be a plentiful supply of used ones about for not a lot of cash.
I am open to suggestions for an alternative, for example someone mentioned the Netgear M2 is supposed to be very good?
ive had an M2 for a few years now, it still is a very good mifi but NOT cheap, even a few years after it came onto the market.

i would imagine that there are other Mifis out there that pound for pound probably offer better value

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I have the Poynting V2-12 connected to a Teltonika Rut 955. I was expecting great things based on feedback, however the speeds are often no better than using the Rut 955 antennas. Thinking of removing it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have this antenna on my van using a Huawei B535, seems to work well

Another vote for this antenna, works really well.
I too am using the Poynting 3-V2-12 Antenna, with a ZTE 4G LTE Cat 6 MiFi, and experimenting with an ID Mobile sim card, (Three Network).
A fortnight ago I was in a farmer's field in the middle of nowhere, pulling in a low signal, but still enough to stream Live and Catchup TV through the Firestick. (y) At that location, all mobile network providers were showing a low signal strength.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Boxer L3H2
I have the Poynting V2-12 connected to a Teltonika Rut 955. I was expecting great things based on feedback, however the speeds are often no better than using the Rut 955 antennas. Thinking of removing it.
I have the Teltonika antenna with my RUT 955 and I've not been blown away by the performance either.

Kinda wondering if the router is a bit pants. Often get better download speed using 4G on my phone.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Same observation as above with phone out performing router

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have the Teltonika antenna with my RUT 955 and I've not been blown away by the performance either.

Kinda wondering if the router is a bit pants. Often get better download speed using 4G on my phone.
That aerial does not support the 800 mhz bandwidth which most rural masts use.

I have a Poynting MIMO which has been brilliant in the past but I'm finding a lot more networks throttle the speed when they detect a Mifi or router even though they denied it.

On our last trip I used an RWG sim in my phone I was getting between 35 to 95 mb/s in Mifi or router 6 to 12 mb/s.
Tried my phone sim which is also on EE it was the same, it's worked fine in mifis & routers in the past.

Jul 29, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Boxer L3H2
That aerial does not support the 800 mhz bandwidth which most rural masts use.
It says the frequency range is 698 - 960 and 1710 - 2690 MHz on that link I included.
Why don't you think it'd support 800MHz?

Edit: Just watched the promo video for the MIMO 3-17. Firstly, wow, that's a big antenna and secondly, I think you mean the 400MHz band. That's interesting. I'll check if I can get some diagnostics on my phone to see what it's connecting to to compare.

Cheers.

Last edited:
May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one

I've a Poynting V2-12 paired with a Teltonika RUT240. Signal strength and download speed wasn't the best on first installation.

Playing around, I found that when the Poynting antenna leads were swapped over on the RUT240 antenna terminals (move right lead to left terminal and left lead to right terminal) there was a significant increase in signal strength. Don't ask me why, but it worked for me and I've had good stable performance ever sinceđź‘Ť

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It says the frequency range is 698 - 960 and 1710 - 2690 MHz on that link I included.
Why don't you think it'd support 800MHz?
From your link
1690882962610.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back