Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
For sale at Lincoln fun meet

We bought a Garrett AT Pro International around a year ago for £595.00 and both Ann and I have gone out searching for the long lost treasures and had some interesting finds. Our searches included the beach, on farm land and private gardens. Our searches have uncovered two silver coins one a Queen Elizabeth 1st half groat 1591 and a King William 111 1697 and as they are both over 300 years old they are automatically declared treasure and are currently in the hands of York Museum until next month when we will find out what happens to them. It is important to realise that when you take up the hobby you need to know the rules and to be honest with the owner of the land and it must be the owner not a tenant if you do not want trouble with the law.
We are currently on farm land where we have found a medieval strap end and a tudor clothes fastener along with a solid brass lion and bell circa 1850. As we belong to a local history group these finds (with the landowners permission) will go to the history's group museum.

We joined the Bridlington Quay Metal Detecting Club and I would suggest to anyone who is thinking of starting the hobby to join a club near to their home as the help and advice we got before we spent our money was invaluable as is the ongoing help both in identifying finds and information.
We bought a Deus XP to upgrade this year which is both very light and is a real good piece of kit although quite expensive.
We would like to buy another Deus but until we actually sell the Garrett we will not.

Kind regards
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Actually with the coins if they are over 10% precious metal they are only classed as treasure if you find two or more that could be classed as the same find ie a possibility of them being lost together. Also if you find one precious metal coin on a field and a few days/weeks/ months later find another in the same area that could have been lost at the same time as the first one then only the second coin is classed as treasure, another member of our forum won a case against the British Museum after they originally took two coins from him found a month a part, one by him the other by his wife and It was pointed out to him quoting a paragraph from the treasure act that advises the coroner involved.
On the other hand it is always nice to record finds with your local FLO for the PAS if you can . As none of my farmers allow me to record with the PAS unless I legally have to I use the UKDFD to record my finds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back