MERCEDES V FIAT MPG or (Ltrs per 100km) (1 Viewer)

Jan 15, 2009
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC B690
Exp
Since 2009
What's the best and worst mpg you are achieving in your A Class 7.5mtr 4.5tn gross 170 - 180 Hp Euro 6 AUTOMATIC MOTORHOME (breathe in)

Which one ? Fiat or Mercedes generally gives better average mpg ? What's your average Adblue consumption ?

Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
It's all down to how you drive I suppose. As sn owner driver I drive it steady, let the truck do what's its supposed to do and don't rag it. Even when I've done the odd bit of general haulage pulling 28t loads I've got 10 mpg, and with a non aero dynamic 15'5" high, 14 ft wide boat on weighing 15t, I've managed 12mpg.
On the other hand, an employed driver might only get 8mpg cause they don't pay the diesel or have to replace brakes or tyres, so it's nothing to them flooring the brakes coming in to roundabouts and flooring the accelerator coming out of them.
Still hurts though when you have to put 450 litres of fuel in it :swear:
People like me and you are in the minority. I'm not being big headed but we know how to drive properly. I call driving a self discipline. I've been disciplined how to drive, now it's down to me to carry that on.
The amount of professional drivers I see ragging it around is amazing. Especially tipper trucks.Those guys are scary.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Is there anything you donā€™t like about your van, looked in one a few months ago, Mrs liked it but I didnā€™t think it had enough storage ie e bikes in the garage etc
We love the van, but then we searched for 2 years before we changed to it, it has everything we need, it is the 696D with the drop down bed and rear bathroom, the garage space is fine for us but we have a wheelchair, e-bike attachment for the wheelchair and an e-scooter ( legal here), if you full have sized e-bikes, forget it, there is not enough headroom, ok if they are folders but not full sized.

Storage is good throughout the van, I have the outside drawer which is great, no going to the garage for Ehu cables etc, plenty of under seat storage and cupboard space.

Payload is frankly crap if you have all the toys, solar, satellite, awning etc, we also have the AL-KO levelling system which is brilliant, but when everything is full there is nothing left on the payload running at 3500kg, but upgrading is not an option, so we travel within our limit, we do have an extra raised floor though so she has a level run from the cab to the bathroom (the wheelchair ramps fit under the raised floor).

Van is not UK spec, so no Micro, Oven, Carpet, if you had these then payload would be further reduced.

The van is so light inside compared to our previous one (Miller Toronto), it is one big lounge and nice place to be, it is everything we wanted in a replacement, very happy with it....

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Don't see the point of this thread, you spend over Ā£100k on a Motorhome does it matter if it does 22 or 26 mpg.
It is not the cost of the MH ( I only have a ā‚¬ 90k MH though šŸ˜), it is the distance planning, can I do Lago de Garda and back on one tank, or where are we overnighting on the way to Spain?, the Italian or French Riviera? Knowing how far you can go on average makes a difference when planning.
Herself needs to know when, where, what and why for everything with journey planning, so having the range available makes my life easier šŸ¤”, mostly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
People like me and you are in the minority. I'm not being big headed but we know how to drive properly. I call driving a self discipline. I've been disciplined how to drive, now it's down to me to carry that on.
The amount of professional drivers I see ragging it around is amazing. Especially tipper trucks.Those guys are scary.
It's matter of statistics that some day you might not be driving as good as you say .Mpg is how you drive on my old Volvo XC 60 I can get 50 mpg at 52 mph , on dual carriageway I would consider myself a nuisance .

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2022
South wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic
If youā€™re bothered about fuel consumption, I wonder if this pastime is for you?
Actual measures are of dubious value anyway but, having owned both Merc and Fiat base vehicles I have found that the Fiat is more frugal on fuel. The more important measure, in my mind, is the joy of driving and I consider Mercedes to be streets ahead of Fiat in that respect.
Same
Merc is amazing to drive šŸ‘šŸ¼

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My woman will not go out of the door without a plan......
That's sad, often only have a vague idea of where we are going as we get off the ferry.
First trip in our first Motorhome we were heading for the Baltic, the weather was rubbish so we turned right at Belgium & ended up in Slovenia.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
That's sad, often only have a vague idea of where we are going as we get off the ferry.
First trip in our first Motorhome we were heading for the Baltic, the weather was rubbish so we turned right at Belgium & ended up in Slovenia.
It is sad but had her too long to think about replacement šŸ˜

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Don't do planning, too much hassle and without planning we find some nice interesting stops.
I like a plan as it gives us a baseline. Not to say that any plan is set in stone though. Everything is open to change. That is what retirement beings. Variety without strings!
Safe and happy travels.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Tipper drivers aren't drivers....they're :swear: idiots

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Well if I was an owner driver. It would be going on Amex for avĆ­os points
I only use diesel bunkering cards which are supposed to save me money on the pump price? Best price this week out of 4 different cards is 1.18p per litre plus vat.....Ā£637 to fill it up :oops:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I drive to the roads speeds and conditions. Rarely have I ever had a trip with flat roadsā€¦if Iā€™m not going up a hill, Iā€™m going down a hillā€¦

Our 4259kg 7.5 m Fiat A class with comformatic box is pretty consistent and returns about 24mpg, this drops to 23 mpg when towing our Citygo.

Having said that 3 weeks ago we drove from Newcastle to Sudbury in Suffolk and returned 20mpg thanks to the tail end of a storm and serious high winds.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back