Mercedes Sprinter (2018 on) based vehicles - servicing (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
My Hymer Grand Canyon S Sprinter van is two years old in June, but was supplied to Hymer for conversion three months before that.

According to Mercedes my two year service interval starts from the day the van was suppled to Hymer.

Wanting to keep the Mercedes three year warranty intact I called my local dealer to book an ‘A’ service. - I causally enquired to the cost thinking it would be around £200 - £250 as it's basically an oil and filter change.

Turns out on the first service they also change the auto gearbox oil, which sounds sensible as then it’s not due to be changed for another 75,000 miles, and that means a total service price of ….

£845 !!!!!

I then remembered that Mercedes Cars do fixed price monthly serving plans and if you buy the plans right you can cover the most expensive services more cost efficiently.

I asked about a service contract and was told that if the van had done under 12,000 miles I could sign up.

Total cost £27 per month to cover the next two services for a 24 month term.

This equals a total spend £648 and covers the first £845 service plus the next service which will be around £250. Totally saving around £450!

I signed up!

A few interesting things I discovered along the way….

I have the Mercedes data build card for my van. It shows as a RHD, EU-UK-EFTA, Dutch market model. Mercedes UK struggled to find the right codes to add the van to their system and are still struggling to get the Mercedes Me system set up as the van thinks it’s a German home market model....

It was supplied to Hymer without the whoosh bang sliding door - I guess Hymer buy a stock of doors, put the windows and trims in and then add them to the vans when they arrive from Mercedes. This probably explains why the paint onto door isn’t as good as the rest of the van and the catches didn’t align properly!

So … if your Mercedes Sprinter (907 / 910 model from 2018 on) Grand Canyon S / Free / coach-built derivative is less then two years old, under 12,000 miles its worth taking out a service plan with Mercedes before the first service is due. Just call your local Mercedes Van dealer to set up.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
My local van dealer refused to continue servicing mine which means I lose the Mercedes breakdown cover.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
My local van dealer refused to continue servicing mine which means I lose the Mercedes breakdown cover.
They were a bit hesitant about taking mine on as a Camper Van but I told 'em it was basically just a Sprinter Van with some stuff in the back of it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 11, 2020
Chipping Norton
Funster No
MH
Phoenix Liner +Smart
Exp
since 1985
I now have a 18 month old Carthago Chic-I line on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. The Mercedes local commercial dealer and Mercedes UK both say from the VIN Number the vehicle does not exist. The UK dealer does not know how to help. Any ideas how I can make it exist in the UK for any warranty work or service plans? At the moment these services are not available.

OP
OP
Abgs
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Mercedes trucks in Boston gave me a VIN data card printout from the Mercedes chassis serial number. I used that to persuade Mercedes in Stockport that the van actually existed!

I’m pretty sure the Mercedes VIN should start

W1V907********** if rear wheel drive
or
W1V910******** if front wheel drive.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I got a similar 3 year service plan on my 2018 VW Crafter.

It also includes breakdown cover, MOTs and extended warranty.

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
They were a bit hesitant about taking mine on as a Camper Van but I told 'em it was basically just a Sprinter Van with some stuff in the back of it!
I had a similar experience with Mercedes service contracts last year. They stated they had stopped doing them. Can I ask where you got yours?
Also when I had previously enquired they had said they did 3, 4, 5 year contracts too ?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Our Mercedes Sprinter rwd auto was in for its 1st service at Mercedes Western Commercial in Broxburn yesterday. We have done 16500 miles in the first 2 years so had the fixed price service A which was £195 + vat, which seemed really reasonable when compared to the Fiat prices being described on the other thread that’s running.

Given the vans relatively low mileage, we were given the option of the Auto transmission oil change, or could leave for another year. We decided just to get it done, it was £245 + vat.

So total bill for both was £528 including the dreaded vat, doesn’t seem quite so bad compared to Abgs quote! Oh, and the van is running like a dream, beautifully smooth!

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Our Mercedes Sprinter rwd auto was in for its 1st service at Mercedes Western Commercial in Broxburn yesterday. We have done 16500 miles in the first 2 years so had the fixed price service A which was £195 + vat, which seemed really reasonable when compared to the Fiat prices being described on the other thread that’s running.

Given the vans relatively low mileage, we were given the option of the Auto transmission oil change, or could leave for another year. We decided just to get it done, it was £245 + vat.

So total bill for both was £528 including the dreaded vat, doesn’t seem quite so bad compared to Abgs quote! Oh, and the van is running like a dream, beautifully smooth!
That seems like a very good service and price.
When I originally dealt with Mercedes last year, at point of my motorhomes 'first' service, I actually got to the point where I took out a service contract over 4 years including auto oil change, and it seemed to be reasonable value.
The contract arrived with me, and it was wrong. There had been an error with the price, only a small error, but an error all the same.
I therefore cancelled the contract as it was incorrect and apparently couldn't be altered. I then attempted to take out a new one a matter of just a few days later, in which time Mercedes stated that they were temporarily stopping contracts on Sprinter camper/motorhomes.
I therefore unfortunately wasn't able to get the contract resurrected. Hopefully this has now changed........

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
That seems like a very good service and price.
When I originally dealt with Mercedes last year, I actually got to the point where I took out a service contract over 4 years including auto oil change, and it seemed reasonable value. The contract arrived with me, and it was wrong. There had been an error with the price, only a small error, but an error all the same. I therefore cancelled the contract as it was incorrect. I then attempted to take out a new one a matter of just a few days later, in which time Mercedes stated that they were temporarily stopping contracts on Sprinter camper/motorhomes. I therefore unfortunately wasn't able to get the contract resurrected. Hopefully this has now changed........
Yes, it was cheaper than we were expecting. They also did a free Health Check as they call it, gave me details of brake wear, tyre condition etc, no trying to sell me anything, more like an mot advisory!

Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
I now have a 18 month old Carthago Chic-I line on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. The Mercedes local commercial dealer and Mercedes UK both say from the VIN Number the vehicle does not exist. The UK dealer does not know how to help. Any ideas how I can make it exist in the UK for any warranty work or service plans? At the moment these services are not available.
Sorry I can't help, but we have a MB based Carthago CLine on order and have been wondering about the servicing element. Our Current motorhome is a fiat Ducato and have had no problems with the servicing . I am surprised your suppling dealer can't help, why not?Please keep us posted on how you go on.

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
My Hymer Aclass B580 was new 2019 , when the 1st Service was due in 2020 I took it to my local commercial Mercedes dealer , they said it was cheaper to buy pay for the 2nd service in advance as the roadside assistance would be valid in krill the 2nd service even if it was after 3years . I have now done 19,500 miles and wonder when the 2nd service will be due . I can’t find anything in the manuals , I am just waiting for the service light to come one . Can anyone advise me ?

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Regarding Breakdown cover, as long as you are serviced by Mercedes you are covered UK & EU.
As below cut/paste:
"With MobiloVan UK, as long as you regularly service your van at an authorised Mercedes-Benz Commercial Vehicle Dealer, you and your vehicle are covered in the event of a breakdown, wherever you are in the UK or in Europe.

Even if you miss a maintenance service, with each new service at a Mercedes-Benz Commercial Vehicle Dealer you are automatically entitled to the care-free security of MobiloVan UK again. For up to thirty years.

To request roadside assistance from the UK, please dial 00800 3777 7777 or +44 (0) 207 660 9991

From mainland Europe, please dial +44 (0) 207 660 9991"

I have used this, broke down on the M4/M25 junction, late at night, guy was called out from the MB dealer at Heathrow, with a four wheel lift, as Hymer is an auto, taken to the dealers premises, workshop opened up and repaired on the spot.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
My Hymer Aclass B580 was new 2019 , when the 1st Service was due in 2020 I took it to my local commercial Mercedes dealer
Our Mercedes sprinter needs serviced every 2 years, nothing in between. Does yours have MBUX? If so you can check when next service is due. I also gave the MercedesMe app which gives lots of info including servicing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back