Man fined by German court for using free google font on his website. (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
with a fine of 100 euros showing just how serious the offence is ...

hate to think how much legal costs were and who had to pay them ....?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Why should Google allow their font to add credibility to private websites? There’s thousands of scammers out there.
I’m surprised they didn’t go for a much bigger sum.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's not as simple as it first seems (my emphasis in bold) ...

A regional court in the German city of Munich has ordered a website operator to pay €100 in damages for transferring a user's personal data — i.e., IP address — to Google via the search giant's Fonts library without the individual's consent.
The unauthorized disclosure of the plaintiff's IP address by the unnamed website to Google constitutes a contravention of the user's privacy rights, the court said, adding the website operator could theoretically combine the gathered information with other third-party data to identify the "persons behind the IP address."
That's the issue ... if a person visits a website they don't expect their info to be passed on without them being notified beforehand and being able to object ... it's not simply about fonts.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's not as simple as it first seems (my emphasis in bold) ...

A regional court in the German city of Munich has ordered a website operator to pay €100 in damages for transferring a user's personal data — i.e., IP address — to Google via the search giant's Fonts library without the individual's consent.
The unauthorized disclosure of the plaintiff's IP address by the unnamed website to Google constitutes a contravention of the user's privacy rights, the court said, adding the website operator could theoretically combine the gathered information with other third-party data to identify the "persons behind the IP address."
That's the issue ... if a person visits a website they don't expect their info to be passed on without them being notified beforehand and being able to object ... it's not simply about fonts.

That is all clear from the article but is it right? Legally an IP on it's own is not personally identifiable data. I personally think this is stretching the original idea of GDPR. So along with the barrage of cookie messages we now have this to deal with.
It was a terrible bit of legislation in my view.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That is all clear from the article but is it right? Legally an IP on it's own is not personally identifiable data. I personally think this is stretching the original idea of GDPR. So along with the barrage of cookie messages we now have this to deal with.
It was a terrible bit of legislation in my view.
I hear what you're saying but if it means the user can be identified from it for whatever reason then consent needs to be obtained.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A simple mistake to make, but also a simple fix to put in place.
I too also think GDPR is a PITA, but its easy enough to protect yourself.

I get the feeling its a tactic to show they mean business, I bet many business throughut the eu after seeing this will be cheking the consent box is still working and the practices they use offline are still in place.

Since 2018 when it came fully introduced, we have had one person to ask us to ammortise their data. And we get a lot of visitors/customers

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A simple mistake to make, but also a simple fix to put in place.
I too also think GDPR is a PITA, but its easy enough to protect yourself.

I get the feeling its a tactic to show they mean business, I bet many business throughut the eu after seeing this will be cheking the consent box is still working and the practices they use offline are still in place.

Since 2018 when it came fully introduced, we have had one person to ask us to ammortise their data. And we get a lot of visitors/customers

They have also gone after google analytics for the same reason. I can understand that one as it is a tracker.

But basically everyone in the EU is now scrambling to remove google analytics from their website. Use Fathom seems to be making out ok out of this as they have segregated their network so EU data stays in the EU.

I hear what you're saying but if it means the user can be identified from it for whatever reason then consent needs to be obtained.

Here is the thing though, it is only because the data is leaving the EU there is an issue. So it is ok to take an EU citizens IP address providing you don't give it to anyone outside the EU.
My view is, it is either OK or it is not OK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not come across that word before.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Here is the thing though, it is only because the data is leaving the EU there is an issue. So it is ok to take an EU citizens IP address providing you don't give it to anyone outside the EU.
My view is, it is either OK or it is not OK.
Agreed, all or none.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Isn't it Google who are the culprits here? Apparently you cannot use anything of theirs without it secretly harvesting data?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
seems like google are working on ways round this according to my adwords guy, not sure how. It is possible its similar to the facebook and IOS issues he says.

Apparently consent mode is being worked on atm in adwords, merchant centre and the like for enhanced conversions???

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Oh well, the good news is that our government is on course to chuck things like GDPR in the bin so that we will all be at the mercy of the tech giants and whatever they choose to do with the data they harvest. Giving permission will be a thing of the past and recourse to the law non existent when your data has been "misused". Welcome to the wild west, or at least the tech nerds version of it . . . .

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Oh well, the good news is that our government is on course to chuck things like GDPR in the bin so that we will all be at the mercy of the tech giants and whatever they choose to do with the data they harvest. Giving permission will be a thing of the past and recourse to the law non existent when your data has been "misused". Welcome to the wild west, or at least the tech nerds version of it . . . .
Suits me. I'm sick of ticking endless boxes to get on every website I visit. None of which seems to make any difference to the stream of spam emails. And I don't massively care what they do with my "data".

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

They won't just drop it. They will strip it back to get rid of the stupid stuff that would poorly written and interpreted badly by the courts.

They won't get rid of the privacy law altogether.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
seems like google are working on ways round this according to my adwords guy, not sure how. It is possible its similar to the facebook and IOS issues he says.

Apparently consent mode is being worked on atm in adwords, merchant centre and the like for enhanced conversions???

Would be interesting to see how google manage to do that for analytics. The second you land on a web page you have provided the data. Too late to ask for permission.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Suits me. I'm sick of ticking endless boxes to get on every website I visit. None of which seems to make any difference to the stream of spam emails. And I don't massively care what they do with my "data".
Each to their own.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I do care what they do with my data, which I why I for the most part don't use google and block their analytics.

Oh and to stop 3rd party cookies ( tracking) in firefox

You can look it up for chrome or any other browser.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I do care what they do with my data, which I why I for the most part don't use google and block their analytics.

Oh and to stop 3rd party cookies ( tracking) in firefox

You can look it up for chrome or any other browser.
Cheers. That's helpful, although I doubt I have fully understood it. It's a shame we have to spend hours trying to get our heads around all these technicalities to block these intrusive attacks on our privacy.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
No such thing as a free lunch. We're livestock to the big tech companies - they provide fodder in the shape of "free" access to various platforms and they milk us for the data we provide (whether willingly, knowingly or not) that they can monetise in so many ways. Altogether now "Mooooooo" . . . .

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
No such thing as a free lunch. We're livestock to the big tech companies - they provide fodder in the shape of "free" access to various platforms and they milk us for the data we provide (whether willingly, knowingly or not) that they can monetise in so many ways. Altogether now "Mooooooo" . . . .
So what?

What do you think will be the outcome of someone collecting 'data'.. How has it changed anything other than perhaps seeing adverts for something one did a search for.

I'm not an international spy, so I have no fear of 'them', besides silver foil isn't that expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back