Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
having spent a small fortune on our new pride and joy (Autotrail Dakota), I am amazed that it does not have locking wheel nuts!! My wheel clamp is useless without them.

Does anyone know where I can get some (with funsters discount would be even better) ::bigsmile:

Nigel

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Most tyre shops or motorists shops like Halfords sell locking wheel nuts, you could also go the the manufacturer of your vehicle ie Fords or Fiat to get some but they will probably be double the price from them!

Deleted User
I have locking wheelnuts on the aluminium wheels on the pickup.I had the pickup serviced and MOT'd and six months later I needed some new tyres, locking wheelnuts sheared because of overtightening. I took it back to the garage who used a simple and easily obtained tool( or an angle grinder) to remove the locking nut and replaced with new set.

There are two reasons for telling this tale:-

1 They are not as secure as you might think though they would deter a casual thief

2 If you do have them fitted insist that correct torques are used and release and retorque at regular intervals, this is what I do as I have a suitable torque wrench but tyre fitters or mechanics may disagree, perhaps seek further advice on that one.

The important thing to remember is that they are not as robust as wheel nuts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Over tightening wheel nuts

The use of wind hammers in tyre shops usualy result in over tightening. Over tightening results in wheel stud stretch which reduces the tenstile strength of the stud. Allways tighten by hand or with a touque wrench if your not shure what tight is. :thumb:
PK

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
4th service on 1 of the cars from new Vauxhall they broke the tool key that removes the looking wheelnuts so did they get a new key (number in the box its kept in) NO they buggered up all 4 of the nuts by removing them with one of the tools they have that grip the nut.

not much point in buying any more if
1 they come off that easy with a tool
2 they break that easily anyway

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
All sorted.

Genuine Fiat locking studs only £18.55 inc VAT from local main dealer. As a genuine Fiat part, will not affect any warranty issues.

Thanks for all the assistance

Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back