Leisure batteries - how long should they last? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
My leisure batteries don't seem to last very long.

After about 3 hours the lights are dim, and the water pump is struggling.

I'm not doing anything particularly strenuous - just a couple of lights (conventional bulbs) on of an evening, ignitors on the hob for cooking dinner, bit of radio...

The batteries seem to die very quickly. Any thing I can do to test their health at home (I keep a multimeter in the van for checking them)?

I suspect they've been on the van for a ver long time, and are probably about tatered.

how long would a healthy couple of batteries last me?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
does not seem very long I agree, but you need to quantify matters If your leisure batteries are a pair of PP9's you are doing very well, Do they start out fully charged (13.8V with no load) Do they hold that charge 24hrs after charging has stopped. Do you have solar (am guessing not) how many lights do you have on and for how long, TV, Fridge,waterpump, anything else running. is there a noticable discharge with everything switched off. How old are the batteries what sort are they. And finally how long is the piece of string that I have in my pocket, hee hee.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
3 of us just had 3 days out in ours without hookup.
but i stupidly left the fridge on 12volt for an hour (which does still work with the engine off, its a german and electrobloc thing.) so really started with about 18Amp down from a full charge and before setting off home i checked and was down at 12.6 volt or 84% according to the display.
and that was using the heating a bit (it was cold in cumbria)
lights for 4 hours a night and the usual tv and water pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
While, as Wildman says, there are a lot of variables we don't know, two batteries of any capacity should last a lot longer than that. Do check that there is no large drain with everything off and that your charger is working (two more uses for your meter) If all is otherwise OK your batteries have had it.:cry:

Upvote 0

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I bought a new battery not long ago and it came with a two year guarantee. So there's a clue of the manufacturer's confidence in the product.
My last van I had for ten years and it was fitted with three leisure batteries. They were all renewed soon after I bought it, (I changed the original and fitted two others.)
All three required changing again just last year. This is only personal experience but gives some idea of how long they can last. They were always being topped up by a solar panel on the roof, through a regulator that would not allow overcharging. I believe that this was in part the key to their longevity. If a battery charge is allowed to get too low it will never recover.
You might want to consider changing your lighting, conventional lamps/halogens use a lot more power and will drain your batteries faster than modern LED units.
Food for thought...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
OK, so trying to cover off all Wildman's q's :winky:

I have 2 batteries, they are labelled L85. No idea of age - I wouldn't be surprised if they're original (1997) and it spent the last couple of years before I bought it pretty dormant, so they've probably not been cycled very often in recent times.

Just been for a trip out to the shops to charge them up - I get 12.9V on one, 12.88V on the other (nothing switched on, 12V circuit switched off)

Pretty much they are good at that for about 3 days before there's any drop if I leave it and check the V's.

No solar.

Probably have 2 or 3 lights on (single very small bulbs) for 3-4 hours before things start to struggle. Some people try to have more lights on than that, but they find them quickly extinguished ::bigsmile:
No TV allowed in my van! Radio and iPod is your lot.
No fridge on, that'll be running on gas (I thought you could only get 12V with engine on - what witchcraft is that aba??)

Other things usually being powered: Water pump (and that I'm a stickler for only having switchwd on when I need it); a bit of Heating; the occasional loo swish; lighting the hob.
Like I say, nothing particularly strenuous.

One thing that did occur to me... could it be that I inadvertantly have the inverter on constantly?? I don't think so, the 230V sockets aren't working when on batts, but I must admit to not knowing what switch does what on the box thing I was told was the inverter (here's a piccy of the thingy - taken running on hookup) - there's no instructions, and little in the way of identifying features! I leave the switch in that position - it only lights up green on hookup or on the kippor...

string? about 3 inches?

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't think thats an inverter (even though it's inverted or did you stand on your head for the pic:roflmto:)
It looks like a 20A power supply/charger.

If your batteries have been left flat for any length of time, which you indicate they may, then they will need replacing. They are 85Ah batteries I think and using those few things you mention should last for days not hours. I think they've had it.

Upvote 0

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hi jimothy,

Agreed with Reallyretired, I'm afraid that you're going to have to invest in a new set of batteries.
You sound to have a simple van life, without all the add-ons and so called "necessities", so your batteries certainly ought not be quickly drained. If they're original, you have had your moneys worth.
As Reallyretired says, you have been mis-informed about the "thingy", that's the charger that will replenish the batteries when you are hooked up.
An inverter is a device that changes 12V battery voltage to mains voltage.
It's a clever box of tricks but it's operation depends on healthy batteries and plenty of them! From the sounds of it, you will never need one.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Thanks all - I suspected that a pair of new batteries might be required!

One other question, slightly related:

Should my heating run on 12V?

It only seems to fire up with the engine running; once it's going, it fine without the engine on, but once the thermostat kicks in it won't re-light.

Works perfectly on 230V.

(please don't ask what heating I've got - I've no idea! ::bigsmile: It's a lot of tinfoil, a black water heater, and lovely hot air blowing hoses emerging from under various cupboards. But it has no markings or instructions)

Now I'm wondering if it's the poor state of my leisure batteries that might be why it won't fire up on 12V...

The reason I ask is that I got the Kippor mainly to allow the heating to run (and to switch the fridge from gas for a while) - I'm wondering if new batteries would have been more appropriate investment?

Although I do love my little Kippor - I'm rarely on hookup, so it's been really useful. But part of that is because my batteries have required it.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if your batteries are kaput the heating probably wont re-light due to a battery saving feature once the voltage has reached a pre determined threshold certain things will stop working to save the batteries from total discharge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
we manage 5 days with ease on a single battery.

Wow. Yep, mine are totally knackered then it would appear!

Any recommendations for replacements? manufacturer? type?

The current batteries are pretty snug in their compartment, so I don't think I'll have room to get any larger capacity, but given my meager power requirement the same size should be more than plenty I guess.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any recommendations for replacements? manufacturer? type?
The current batteries are pretty snug in their compartment

Do a quick search on battery, loads of confusing advice.

You don't have to buy 2, being a frugal sort try one battery and some LED replacement lamps. You can add a second if really needed.

Upvote 0

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Im no expert but when working my battery lasts 3-4 days and thats with TV 2-3 hrs a day. Washing up showers etc Lights 2-3 hrs.
Im having my own problems as leisure battery isnt charging when Im driving and I dont know what to do. Ash checked the battery at Long Marston and said it was ok so goodness knows. Any ideas. My man who can is away at present
Kath

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back