LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have downloaded some free books and when sending them to my Kindle using Calibre I get a DRM locked issue...

Can they be free and be locked with DRM?

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
if you google DRM remover there are several ways of doing this .
And free software that does it .

Calibre is a clever bit of software to changing formats and managing digital libraries.and can change one format to another.and its free.

barry

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
copyrightcriminal.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Removing DRM is possible but it depends on what type it is. Amazon are now using one called TOPAZ, this is unlike any other DRM around, it converts the page to a picture and then stores that as a series of glyphs, I have tried one or two programs which claim to remove it, but only with limited success.

Ian

Mendoza

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
http://www.wholesaledvdsa
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I never learn anything new when listening to myself speak.

-------------------------------------------------
Rock Legend For Movie DVDs --- Broken Link Removed,No More Hesitation

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
free books download

When you download the books do they give you an option to choose the format?
If the option is there you could try installing kindle for pc on your machine than try to download the book again in kindle format .azw.Normally these just open the program as soon as they are downloaded .You can then transfer by usb to your kindle.
Of course i'm presuming that the drm message is an error because you're going from calibre to kindle and it doesn't like it, although I can't say i've ever had this error.
You could just read the book in calibre although if it is a drm problem they won't open in that either so I suppose the first question should be ,does the book open in calibre.
If you like pm me the book and I will see if I get the same problem.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I hate DRM with a vengeance. It doesn't stop the commercial pirates as it can always be got around one way or another. But it does stop honest individual purchasers from moving platforms.

I have stopped buying anything that is DRM encumbered these days. I got bitten when a load of music I purchased off a service became unusable when the company went bust. Other problems have ocurred where a company stopped supporting an old device and wouldn't let people transfer that media to a new format supported on a newer device.

DRM ties you to a platform. For instance if you buy a film off iTunes you are limited to using it on devices authorised by Apple. I am currently in the process of re-buying all my TV shows on DVD that I have already paid for on iTunes because their DRM system won't let me watch them on either my Linux laptop or my Blackberry Playbook. DRM was an expensive mistake for me..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Update on my previous post.

I have now imported all 59 books into Calibre that I have bought of Amazon over the last 18 months, and all the DRM has been removed.:thumb: Two of them failed but I imported them again and it then worked, well pleased. :Smile:

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back