It's time to adopt a mutt.... (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Bloody palaver.
Home check went well, 4 pages of details to fill in etc.
Unfortunately, listed in their rules are the following :-
'If the new owner already has a dog, we will only usually give them a dog of the opposite sex' (we have a bitch and want another one :Sad:)
'The new owner must be advised that we will match them to the correct dog'
in other words the choice is theirs as to what dog you get (if any)
We want Betsy :cry:
ah the old get out of jail free extra bits in the contract. these are usually just for guidance and allow the rescue and rehoming people to say no in a nicer way. basically when youve seen it all in rescue you can judge whether a household is appropriate for a particular dog or not during the home visit. some bitches will only get on with bitches, that's a fact of life. so saying only opposite sex only doesn't always work. or how about adding a third dog?

I don't know you personally, only the image you portray here. from what I have read (heard) you sound an ideal home for another dog. provided you have a suitable home and garden and the dogs get on, I cant see you having a problem. you seem to be experienced very friendly doggy people. any dog would be landing on its paws joining your family.

don't get too upset if Betsy doesn't come to you, as there are unfortunately more dogs in need of a loving forever home than there are people prepared to take them in. there are plenty more and other rescues that will be delighted to home a dog with you. mind you, the current one you're in contact with is still likely to "bend the rules" to make sure you get the dog you want. they are just covering their own bum just in case

its always awkward telling a possible home that they don't meet requirements, but a good home will do their best to comply as much as possible

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Bloody palaver.
'If the new owner already has a dog, we will only usually give them a dog of the opposite sex' (we have a bitch and want another one :Sad:)

Home check - ok.... But never seen a rule about dog/bitch mixes. Basically it is if they get on with each other. The above is a bit arrogant - they at least should have said that beforehand :Angry:

Edit - Dawn says that same sex sometimes doesn't work but not a hard and fast rule at all

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Home check - ok.... But never seen a rule about dog/bitch mixes. Basically it is if they get on with each other. The above is a bit arrogant - they at least should have said that beforehand :Angry:

Edit - Dawn says that same sex sometimes doesn't work but not a hard and fast rule at all
We've always had 2 bitches at the same time, no problems at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just lie back and think of orange sauce...........:winky:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Have a look at Belgium Shepherd dogs , they are related to German Shepherd, but are a slightly smaller and lighter build. Their long hair makes them look so beautiful, but surprisingly they don't shed a lot of hair.

We had our dog Mishca (below) for 12 years, lost her last Dec. (still a massive hole in our hearts) so tho we would love another dog, and it would be another Belgium Shepherd, we think we will be doing too much travelling over the next few years to do so.

So for now, happy to just look after our daughters BIG German Shepherd when we are needed to.

Attachments

• mishca 2.jpg
    mishca 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Have a look at Belgium Shepherd dogs , they are related to German Shepherd, but are a slightly smaller and lighter build. Their long hair makes them look so beautiful, but surprisingly they don't shed a lot of hair.

We had our dog Mishca (below) for 12 years, lost her last Dec. (still a massive hole in our hearts) so tho we would love another dog, and it would be another Belgium Shepherd, we think we will be doing too much travelling over the next few years to do so.

So for now, happy to just look after our daughters BIG German Shepherd when we are needed to.
Beautiful dog

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ah........ see what you mean.

Looking on the bright side, Can see at least a dozen good meals there :winky:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Bloody palaver.

So when do you know if you are suitable?
I note you love dogs, Mike trains dogs, plenty of room, so cut and dried surely? Bring the dog to you, it will decide, my Alfie chose us.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fingers crossed for you.....:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Adopting a pre-owned pooch seems to have got very complicated. My parents got one years ago from the local Animal Refuse and all they had to was choose a dog, make a voluntary "donation" to the charity and they took it away.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Adopting a pre-owned pooch seems to have got very complicated. My parents got one years ago from the local Animal Refuse and all they had to was choose a dog, make a voluntary "donation" to the charity and they took it away.
Yes, it was that easy with our others too. :Sad:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
It isn`t any different if you want a Beardie puppy, you are vetted by the breeders if they are good breeders,( you always get the puppy farmers who couldn`t care less, in every breed)and then you sign a contract when buying puppy, they are there if you need help and advice, If I wanted to breed I would have to get their permission, due to the careful breeding that they do as there are only 20 stud dogs registered at the Kennel club, and Beardies are on the way to being extinct, and if for any reason you cannot keep them they will have them back, that way they know they will be cared for properly., Our rescue wasn`t looked after properly, neutered too young , and has all the problems that brings, wasn't trained, cruelly treated, passed from pillar to post, had five owners before us.

That is why good rescue centres are very careful these days, so that the dogs don`t land back in the rescue centres, it is too upsetting for the dogs, and that is the most important thing for the dog, that the right dog goes to the right home, if they have rules, re bitches not with another bitch, think it is a get out clause for them if for any reason the home isn't suitable.

Sure you will be fine Dawn, feel you will get the dog you want soon. You obviously have a very good home for dogs plus the experience by the sound of it, good luck, hope to hear the good news soon. :thumb:My breeder wouldn`t have me wanting a dog as we already have two dogs, I wanted a bitch anyway, I prefer them, they are usually quieter and calmer.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, agree with the above - when we got our flat coat we had to jump though hoops, even though Dawn is a veterinary nurse. Kept in touch with the breeder for years after. Dawn uses her instincts based on experience as much as the usual home check stuff. Some unlikely people make great owners.:thumb: works the other way round as well:Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Agree with the above, I've checked and okayed some very strange homes but the family really did unexpectedly tick all the boxes. a good rescue centre will continue to support the dog and the new family for as long as it takes. we still exchange christmas cards with quite a number of our adoptees, years later.

I am hoping in Dawn's case that the rescue are so busy checking multiple homes that it is taking a while to decide they are offering a perfect forever home for one of their dogs. we always made an honest point of telling a home there and then if they had passed or failed a homecheck. if it was negative, we always said why and advised them what would need to be changed in order to comply. most people respected the honesty and would do all they could to adapt and so pass

gut instinct will always play a part in a homecheck and so I would expect Dawn and Mike to sail through easily

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Absolutely agree with that :thumb:

Just for interest, we are currently looking after one of our old fosters for the weekend (GSD/Husky cross) - we won't tolerate having the mickey taken (we aren't free kennels as some seem to think) but for a lot of people we will do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
The home-check part wasn't the problem. It's them deciding what we can or can't have that's causing us grief. We don't want to be told we can only have a boy dog and that they will choose one for us. That is not how it works.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I agree - they are doing it the wrong way. It surely must be for the future owner to decide.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The home-check part wasn't the problem. It's them deciding what we can or can't have that's causing us grief. We don't want to be told we can only have a boy dog and that they will choose one for us. That is not how it works.
with the current crisis in dog rescue, as in they are all overwhelmed with dogs needing homes, I cant understand them being absolute about that rule. as I said before, like people, all dogs are individual so need to have their own circumstances taken into account. seen plenty of bitches that dont like dogs but will tolerate another bitch and the same with some dogs

what is more important would be if your current bitch will accept another and get on with the new adoptee. they need to bring the bitch to your home after meeting on neutral territory. but i am just saying stuff you already know

my next move would be to contact other rescue centres with a view to adopting from them instead. the right dog/bitch is ready and waiting for you somewhere

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Not far from us we have well known state of the art rescue centre, a lady we met on the park went there for a dog and all was agreed on which dog it would be, they did the home check passed, when she went to collect the dog, they had given it to someone else, they said they had another dog for her, turned out it had so many problems couldn`t be rehomed normally, she is a dog handler and trainer for the Army, so the recue thought she would have this dog, she refused, her worked consists with training difficult dogs and she didn`t want to do that at home, iit was ok for her to have the first dog, until they knew her job, she now has a lovely dog from another rescue centre, that is happy with her and she is happy with it, but said she would not ever donate to the first rescue centre again. I can see it from both sides, rescue probably thought ah here`s an experienced dog handler we will let her have the difficult one.it was the fact they agreed in the first place which dog and then without telling her, she wasn`t told until she went to collect it," oh someone else has it," I think I would have been very upset.:cry:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We got our current dog, Dolly, from a rescue centre. When we went to collect her she was limping. They told us she had jumped out of the RSPCA van and sprained her leg. After having her at home for a week and dosing her on Metacam we decided to take her to the vets. He diagnosed that she had a cruciate ligament problem and she had to have an operation immediately. Furthermore, the rescue centre told us she was between 7 and 8 years old - we have had her for 3 years now and our vet estimates she is now 15 years old!! She is now on quite expensive medication for her arthritis and incontinence, she can hardly see and she is totally deaf. We had hoped to have a dog that would be fairly active for some years to come - as it is she can only walk about 100 yards before she is tired and has to be lifted in and out of the van every time. Needless to say we love her dearly but I think the least rescue centres can do is to be honest about the dog so that the potential new owner can make an informed decision.

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
We 'phoned today to see how things are progressing, still awaiting the home check paperwork, but Betsy has been re-homed. When we 'phoned yesterday they said she was still available, they could have at least mentioned she was already reserved. :Angry: :cry::Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back