It's time to adopt a mutt.... (1 Viewer)

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
we currently have 1 rescue, Ronnie who is 3 and a staffy X about the size of a labrador, but who knows. the other 2 we took on from a family that accidentally bred their 2 staffies and then struggled to home them all. we agreed to take on a girl when we spoke to them on the phone. when we went to see them, I also fell in love with the runt of the litter, who kept climbing up me. so we have ceran and merlin, who are obviously both 2 years old now. did think for a while i needed my head examining having 3 crazy dogs, but with love and training, they are all perfect

as for people who think all rescues are damaged goods, i can tell you that i have even rehomed dogs that were previously shown at crufts. it is generally not the dog's fault they get put up for recycling. the usuals were relationship breakdown, having a baby or moving home. why not give a trained happy confident dog a second chance and a new family?

Yes I would take one of those on if one came up, have three at the moment, so cannot have another one just yet, only so much room in a caravan or motor home,::bigsmile: were we go they go. Only one of our rescues were from a guy who couldn`t keep him due to a break up and worked away ,he was four when we had him, he is fifteen this year, all the others were badly treated, some passed from pillar to post, so had many issues.

Margaret

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Our rescue dog has issues but we would not be without him now.
Even bought a caravan and the motorhome so he would not have to go in kennels when we went away.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Well, I think you are all absolutely fantastic people to take on all these poor homeless doggies. I have a little Yorkie and they are very hard to find for adoption in Spain. I tried all the Spanish local/national rescue services but non available. I also knew that as my lifestyle had changed - recently widowed - I only wanted a Yorkie so that he could come everywhere with me. Hotels? No object. Restaurants? No object. El Corte Ingles? No object. (Not even in the Supermarket!)

This was certainly a project that was very complicated i.e. living in a city flat, albeit a Penthouse with very ample terrace - but it was the best decision I ever made! (Also the first "small" dog I have ever owned! Never liked them! Always preferred large dogs i.e. Catalan Sheep Dog "Gos d'Atura", German Shepherd etc!)

But I must admit he is the love of my life and only wish I had discovered Yorkies long ago! He is the kindest, most loving, gentle, brave dog I have ever owned.

Napo_zps91b66fc3.jpg

He wouldn't hurt a fly! Ever! Infact he doesn't even know how to bite! He's now 9 years of age but is still full of life. I've been told they live to a grand age and can even live to 17 or 18 years - for me, the longer the better!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well, I think you are all absolutely fantastic people to take on all these poor homeless doggies. I have a little Yorkie and they are very hard to find for adoption in Spain. I tried all the Spanish local/national rescue services but non available. I also knew that as my lifestyle had changed - recently widowed - I only wanted a Yorkie so that he could come everywhere with me. Hotels? No object. Restaurants? No object. El Corte Ingles? No object. (Not even in the Supermarket!)

This was certainly a project that was very complicated i.e. living in a city flat, albeit a Penthouse with very ample terrace - but it was the best decision I ever made! (Also the first "small" dog I have ever owned! Never liked them! Always preferred large dogs i.e. Catalan Sheep Dog "Gos d'Atura", German Shepherd etc!)

But I must admit he is the love of my life and only wish I had discovered Yorkies long ago! He is the kindest, most loving, gentle, brave dog I have ever owned.

Napo_zps91b66fc3.jpg

He wouldn't hurt a fly! Ever! Infact he doesn't even know how to bite! He's now 9 years of age but is still full of life. I've been told they live to a grand age and can even live to 17 or 18 years - for me, the longer the better!
the oldest yorkie i ever met made nearly 23. mind you i did think the last couple of years were because the family wouldn't let him go peacefully with dignity. he was blind, deaf, doubly incontinent and riddled with arthritis and cancerous tumours. in the end he had a fit and died on a campsite. obviously his family were bereft but he wasnt the happy dog he had been just a few years before. knowing when to do right by your furry baby is often the hardest part of loving them
fantastic little dogs though with bags of character who will fit in with most lifestyles. i know one that lives with a couple of staffies, she may be the smallest but nobody ever doubts who's the boss

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If anyone on here ever visits SESAW they will be deluged by Yorkies - Maggie seems to collect them (along with Kenny the chihuahua who writes his own blog for the village magazine and local newspaper).

As with all breeds you can get over protective ones who like their own space, but generally, very affectionate game little dogs.:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Our rescue who is 15 this year is a Yorkie, he is full of life if any of the other two need to go outside at night he is the one who barks enough to wake the dead, he seems to be their spokesdog, ::bigsmile:does not wake my husband unfortunately, he has a hearing problem I am the one to get up , like 5am this morning, :ROFLMAO:he is the second rescue Yorkie we have had, the other was the lap dog of an elderly lady and wanted for nothing, she was a lovely dog, and took her away in the caravan, no trouble at all she died at sixteen had a stroke, it is heart breaking when that happens but that is life,:cry: and makes way for another lonely soul. I wasn`t into little dogs before her, having had German Shepherds and Labradors.

I wouldn`t ever want to be without a dog, must be awful coming home to an empty house, without being mugged .:ROFLMAO:

Margaret

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wouldn`t ever want to be without a dog, must be awful coming home to an empty house, without being mugged .:ROFLMAO:

Margaret

That was a speciality of Sasha the GSD cross - she was only 5 months old, enthusiastic and did not know how big she was. She would launch herself at me from across the kitchen and very (sort of) gently stop and place her dinner plate sized paws on my chest..... Not everyone's idea of a greeting but she did calm down and now jumping up is way beneath her dignity

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Looks a really nice dog/bitch ? Hope you are both a match ::bigsmile: Jude

He's a "dog" called Napoleon - Napo for short! Originally intended to get him a girlfriend who would have been called Josephine - Fifi for short!

Is it only me that reads this both ways? :ROFLMAO:

No Dux I also read it two ways!! :ROFLMAO:

Here's a photo which is more like him with his laughing face:

Napo006_zps13ca6922.jpg

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We looked, but no GSD's on website. I've had a dog(s) for the last 57 years (from the age of 10) and have always wanted a German shepherd dog, to me, they just look like how a dog should be. Every dog I've had with the exception of one (Black Lab) has been a GSD cross. I go to the rescue homes saying this time and get talked into something else. Mind you I wouldn't change one of them, they have all been great dogs in their own way. BUT this time I went to UK German shepherd dogs for adoption, surely this time, but what the hell, whatever. :roflmto: :roflmto: :roflmto:

Only GSD's will do for me too, wonderful animals, the best:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This was my little hairy beast Midge ... he always used to grin and run around when I came home from work, unfortunately we had to have him put down at 9 due to cushings disease in 2009 ... still miss my little chap!

Attachments

• Midge Teethy grin.jpg
    Midge Teethy grin.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Midge smiling.jpg
    Midge smiling.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 10

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When you get the new mutt home, enjoy the first bath::bigsmile:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LnorVVxfw"]Dogs just don't want to bath - Funny dog bathing compilation - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
He's a "dog" called Napoleon - Napo for short! Originally intended to get him a girlfriend who would have been called Josephine - Fifi for short!

No Dux I also read it two ways!! :ROFLMAO:

Here's a photo which is more like him with his laughing face:

Napo006_zps13ca6922.jpg
What a cutie

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Posted at 17:37, 'phone rang at 17:45, GSD foster homes have a dog for us will call to arrange a homecheck etc.

:party2::party2:

Betsy1_zps43cadab0.jpg

Broken Link Removed

Betsy2_zpsf7f31094.jpg
The 'man' is coming round tomorrow to do 'home check' . He lives just around the corner from us, can't decide if that's good or bad, as he might know me :Eeek:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
The 'man' is coming round tomorrow to do 'home check' . He lives just around the corner from us, can't decide if that's good or bad, as he might know me :Eeek:

Don't worry about it Dawn - just "imagine/pretend" it's Yorrick you're talking to and you'll pass with flying colours!! :thumb:

The doggie looks a lovely specimen and seems quite young too which should make it easier to train him. I can see exciting times ahead for you all. Have you thought of a name yet?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Don't worry about it Dawn - just "imagine/pretend" it's Yorrick you're talking to and you'll pass with flying colours!! :thumb:

The doggie looks a lovely specimen and seems quite young too which should make it easier to train him. I can see exciting times ahead for you all. [HI]Have you thought of a name yet?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

Bet it won't be Larby or Yorick:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes

The doggie looks a lovely specimen and seems quite young too which should make it easier to train him. I can see exciting times ahead for you all. Have you thought of a name yet?
She's called Betsy and she's about a year old

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Dont worry Dawn if he knows you he will know what a loving home you are going to give to the dog:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just keep away from lifts Dawn

[ame="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=db2_1395787168"]LiveLeak.com - Girls Learns Lesson With Dogs In Elevator[/ame]

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000

Did you pass the Home Check and I still don't know if the animal is male or female :roflmto:
(does that pass muster for the double entendre brigade):thumb:

It looks like a bitch in the photo gleaming hair and alluring eyes

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jude

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Did you pass the Home Check and I still don't know if the animal is male or female :roflmto:
(does that pass muster for the double entendre brigade):thumb:

It looks like a bitch in the photo gleaming hair and alluring eyes

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jude

Man not here till 6.30pm
Betsy is a 1yr old girl

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hope it all goes well for you tonight Dawn :thumb:

The love of dogs is at least 1 thing we have in common.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Beautiful looking dog, good luck tonight. :thumb:

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Bloody palaver.
Home check went well, 4 pages of details to fill in etc.
Unfortunately, listed in their rules are the following :-
'If the new owner already has a dog, we will only usually give them a dog of the opposite sex' (we have a bitch and want another one :Sad:)
'The new owner must be advised that we will match them to the correct dog'
in other words the choice is theirs as to what dog you get (if any)
We want Betsy :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back