Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
...as the bishop said to the actress.
After getting as far as Orbec just south of Rouen yesterday after disembarking from the bumpy ride on the afternoon ferry, today, after a long and tedious drive, I'm still only at Chaunay some twenty odd miles south of Poitiers. I've driven around France enough times, yet still manage to forget how far everywhere is. I've another day's haul to Biarritz tomorrow before I even get started on the Spanish bit. I think I need a holiday.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We turned left around Calais a couple of weeks ago instead. 6 countries later we're back home again and feeling a lot less driving lagged (except today's run from Dover to Lincs which was OK but the roads. )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
...as the bishop said to the actress.
After getting as far as Orbec just south of Rouen yesterday after disembarking from the bumpy ride on the afternoon ferry, today, after a long and tedious drive, I'm still only at Chaunay some twenty odd miles south of Poitiers. I've driven around France enough times, yet still manage to forget how far everywhere is. I've another day's haul to Biarritz tomorrow before I even get started on the Spanish bit. I think I need a holiday.

If one is trying to do Channel to Spain in 2 days I would take the ferry.

I once did Canterbury to Katowice, S. Poland, 1000 miles in 36 hours - but that was to make it for Basia's Mother's 90th birthday. Never again.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think it's a case of Britain being smaller than you think..

more comparisons here

uk_france_extract.png

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Plus it always seems longer when returning to the UK!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you think France is big, try driving from Aberdeen to Dover. At least once in France you are officially on your hols, and the driving is soooo much more pleasant.
indeed, we used to drive down from near Paisley . about 500 ml .. a full day drive to Dover

that is one benefit of now living in Suffolk.. a mere 2.5hrs - 140 ml

downside .. it's 500 ml to visit family ..maybe not such a downside .. ;)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
If you think France is big, try driving from Aberdeen to Dover. At least once in France you are officially on your hols, and the driving is soooo much more pleasant.
Done that a few times on my motorbike from 40 miles north of Aberdeen, always take two days but it's still a slog.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back