Is this to stupid a question? (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
For years I have operated computers without understanding them a bit like driving a car without knowing how it works.
My question is that I have an elderly hp computer with a "square" screen. I would like to use a newer rectangular one but how will I know from the specs if it will work/ is compatible?
Mike

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First question is how old is your computer and what connectors does it have as this will determine what monitors you can get to use with it.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
How about you consider just buying a new computer? It will then come with the latest operating system and ports. They are not very expensive these days. Just a suggestion.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your current screen is probably set to a Display Ratio something like 1024 x 768. You can check this in Display Settings probably by right clicking on your operating system desktop (assuming Windows 7 \ 8 \ 10 \ 11) and selecting something like Display Settings.
In there you can open a list of various display resolutions and it will show you what your system is capable of displaying.
Most modern monitors have a ratio of 16:9 (something like 1280 x 720 on older systems) with newer systems capable of much higher resolutions. If you see a listing of something like this (where the first number divided by 16 is the same as the second number divided by 9 your graphics output is capable of driving a "widescreen" monitor.
A list of the most common 16:9 resolutions are -
  • 1024 x 576 (WSVGA)
  • 1280 x 720 (HD/WXGA)
  • 1366 x 768 (FWXGA)
  • 1920 x 1080 (FHD)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
For years I have operated computers without understanding them a bit like driving a car without knowing how it works.
My question is that I have an elderly hp computer with a "square" screen. I would like to use a newer rectangular one but how will I know from the specs if it will work/ is compatible?
Mike
I take it you mean a pc not a laptop. I'd see if it's possible to borrow a screen from a friend I suspect it will work fine in the display settings there are usually quite a few options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Also assuming you have a PC desktop, here’s quite a verbose document about using Windows 10 (or a 3rd party program) to identify hardware inside the “box” https://www.newegg.com/insider/how-to-check-your-pcs-components-in-windows-10/

And to identify all the external ports and connectors, here’s Dells ver useful looking doc (click on ‘show all’ is my tip): https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...ernal-ports-and-connectors-on-a-dell-computer

If your current hardware is much older than 8-10 years and wasn’t top spec when bought, a new whole PC could be needed.
Ballpark, for the last 3-5 years, some mid spec PC parts are a: -
Intel i5 or AMD Razen 5 CPU
8GB of RAM or more,
DVI or HDMI monitor connectors,
video card with 4GB VRAM (a built in video chipset can be quite decent on current PC)
Ethernet or WiFi 5
& opt. Bluetooth 4

Have a look at your current PC for a comparison.

Edit: the spec I wrote is to compare to your current hardware. Buying new you may easily aim higher yy (depending on your budget)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thanks all, the info is the reason why I havent just snapped up some of the bargains that are around. The pc is a HP desktop wrunning win7 although i beleive it should be able to be upgrded to win 10- but even thats old hat! Its just an operating system that works for me and I have got used to it- cant t stand win10
I will sit down and check out what I have got.
Tnx

Mike

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Even Windows 10 is now "old hat", it's Windows 11. Your machine will be too old for Windows 11, and even the upgrade path to Windows 10 will now not be easy as the official routes were discontinued. Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft meaning that, especially if you have it connected to the internet you are vulnerable to malware as there are no fixes being released. Do make sure you have decent antivirus.

Most of the modern monitors available, even if they are all singing and dancing still have a VGA connection. Look for the blue socket on the back of your computer and also current monitor. With one of these you'll be able to connect, albeit at the basic resolutions. Windows 7 would offer adjustments to the rectangular rather than square shaped screen.

Attachments

• depositphotos_67433029-stock-photo-vga-port.jpg
    depositphotos_67433029-stock-photo-vga-port.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 4

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thanks all, the info is the reason why I havent just snapped up some of the bargains that are around. The pc is a HP desktop wrunning win7 although i beleive it should be able to be upgrded to win 10- but even thats old hat! Its just an operating system that works for me and I have got used to it- cant t stand win10
I will sit down and check out what I have got.
Tnx

Mike
Windows 10 kept evolving. It was meant to be Microsoft’s last OS so got several quite major upgrades. And is in support until Oct 2024
What release/period of Win 10 evolution did you dip your toes in?
Not sure what I’d prefer in Windows 7 to how things work in Win 10.
Mrskevenh just got a Windows 11 laptop. It looks like an evolution of Win10 rather than a revolution 🤞

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
the upgrade path to Windows 10 will now not be easy as the official routes were discontinued.
Are you sure? I got a windows 10 media creation kit from Microsoft a couple of weeks ago.
Then on Thursday, I used it to make a USB Stick to upgrade mrskevenh’s old laptop from win 8 to win 10 - as a clean install.

Edit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10iso (I think that’s the right link but it doesn’t behave right on an iPad 🤪)
Edit2: OK, I'm on that Windows 10 laptop now, and the link is right above. On that link, go to "Create Windows 10 installation media" and follow the instructions.

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Are you sure? I got a windows 10 media creation kit from Microsoft a couple of weeks ago.
Then on Thursday, I used it to make a USB Stick to upgrade mrskevenh’s old laptop from win 8 to win 10 - as a clean install.

Edit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10iso (I think that’s the right link but it doesn’t behave right on an iPad 🤪
The ability to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 for free was supposed to have finished years ago, but servers are still working. It's not publicised by Microsoft so you have to work out what you are doing yourself.

Upgrade for free from Windows 10 to 11 is possible, and your Windows 10 would probably have prompted you to do it if suitable, but your hardware needs to have met the specifications (effectively is only 3 or 4 years old). Windows 11 to the end user is an evolution of Windows 10 - most noticeable is the menu and taskbar is central to the bottom of the screen - but behind the scenes a lot of code did change for "security", which in part linked to the modern electronics of the CPU and motherboards.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Slightly off topic but have Microsoft resolved the audio latency problem that was introduced with Vista. I still have to keep an XP PC for my drum kit but may think about updating if the issue is now resolved.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Slightly off topic but have Microsoft resolved the audio latency problem that was introduced with Vista. I still have to keep an XP PC for my drum kit but may think about updating if the issue is now resolved.
dunno. what are the symptoms? Is there a bug number or support case?
Might be easier for you to track via Microsoft or a 3rd party site that tracks fixed bugs (y)

I'm not aware of there being an issue - is it with CD & DVD playback or local drive media?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
dunno. what are the symptoms? Is there a bug number or support case?
Might be easier for you to track via Microsoft or a 3rd party site that tracks fixed bugs (y)
A slight delay from when you hit the drum to the sound being produced. Something to do with the introduction of digital conversion in Vista (or maybe Win 7) but Microsoft have shown zero interest in the problem.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
A slight delay from when you hit the drum to the sound being produced. Something to do with the introduction of digital conversion in Vista (or maybe Win 7) but Microsoft have shown zero interest in the problem.
Is it this or related?

When I worked at Avid* (and later their customers) we used audio/video breakout boxes rather than using a computer’s internals (Mac & Windows OS). Maybe that’s why I haven’t come across the issue.

*- Avid = a media editing tools manufacturer

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Is it this or related?

When I worked at Avid* (and later their customers) we used audio/video breakout boxes rather than using a computer’s internals (Mac & Windows OS). Maybe that’s why I haven’t come across the issue.

*- Avid = a media editing tools manufacturer
Indeed that's the issue - I did look into other solutions but tbh the Win XP laptop works fine so if there's no Windows based solution I'll just stick with what I have - cheers

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Indeed that's the issue - I did look into other solutions but tbh the Win XP laptop works fine so if there's no Windows based solution I'll just stick with what I have - cheers
There are people helping audio latency suffers, like this page

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Upgrading to Windows 11 is not feasible on older machines. I had a 6 year old Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 and it could not be upgraded to Windows 11 because the chip did not have the right security characteristics.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Upgrading to Windows 11 is not feasible on older machines. I had a 6 year old Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 and it could not be upgraded to Windows 11 because the chip did not have the right security characteristics.
And a PC not supported by Microsoft upgrade tools won’t get the ez Win11 free upgrade.
I’ve been trying today.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back