Is this the end of satellite? (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The world has moved to streaming. Sky is having to respond accordingly! It’s a completely normal business adjustment to remain relevant and competitive…

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Streaming is the way it's going
You need a decent internet speed preferably fiber
We do stream some stuff but prefer satellite but that may just as we are used to the tec. :unsure:
Not able to get a terrestrial signal where we live.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Until mobile data has adequate coverage satellite and aerials are still needed

I disagree, it’s already available! Data when in the Motorhome can be as good as a fibre connection at home, anywhere you park your motorhome, it’s called Starlink! ✔️

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Are Sky even still installing dishes to new customers?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I disagree, it’s already available! Data when in the Motorhome can be as good as a fibre connection at home, anywhere you park your motorhome, it’s called Starlink! ✔️
Yes, but a) it uses satelites, and b) it's not cheap.

What about us country dwellers who at best can get a 2G mobile phone signal (and thats only outdoors) and we're bottom of the priority list for full-fibre broadband. Without Satelite TV we're stuffed.

It not as though we're in the remotest Highlands or deepest Northumberland. Were 12 miles from Leicester and 7 miles ish from 3 major towns.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

What about us country dwellers who at best can get a 2G mobile phone signal (and thats only outdoors) and we're bottom of the priority list for full-fibre broadband. Without Satelite TV we're stuffed.

It not as though we're in the remotest Highlands or deepest Northumberland. Were 12 miles from Leicester and 7 miles ish from 3 major towns.
its the same at Parkrnd near Lydney in the forest of Dean there is no mobile signal from any network, satelite only.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I guess currently......until the Mobile and Broadband infrastructure is really out there.......there will be a need for all technology.... and UK DAB can be hit n miss.... oh well..... Mrs Sg likes us to be "fully loaded" to cater for all TV instances ready for her fix of "dingledale".......lol....

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

That is true for vast swathes of the UK.
Despite what the Government and mobile phone providers would have us believe.

My mother lived next to the village pub in a Cornish village with over 400 houses, a school, post office etc.
2G outside if you were lucky.
0G inside.

Therefore as there is some coverage, the village is not classed as a "Not Spot"
Allegedly only 9% of the UK is in a 'Not Spot'.
I must have been to all 9%!

I regularly get zero signal, including the entire top of Shooters Hill in S.E.London the A2 passes through with tens of thousands of vehicles, there are two large schools and thousands of houses, it's one of the highest points in London and so the top is crowded with transmitters and ariels, but apparently it's in a mobile phone 'shadow'.
The only people that dont complain are the teachers in the schools, as the kids can't use their mobile phones either!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Give me a suitably sized dish and line of sight to the satellite and I can guarantee a perfect picture with great sound. Phone data signal coverage is still at best hit and miss in many areas... lots of buffering even in good coverage areas if lots of users. Try getting a data signal at a festival or "event". Sky would love to go streaming only to save all the money on transponder fees... Will it happen soon? No not a chance .... Sky have been cutting back the installation teams for years and kicked out most of the independent installers 8 or 9 years ago.
Home broadband is very good in lots of areas but less so in others.... the dish still has a place and will have for some years to come. Unless of course you wish to buy Sky Glass (overpriced and handcuffed TV) , have a great broad band connection or when traveling justify the cost of Starlink.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
On the subject of Starlink, we have both a satellite and Starlink onboard. We far prefer using satellite for TV viewing, it is so much easier to flip up and down the channels. Guess we shall need to move to streaming soon, I have been reading reports that Intelsat 907 (now901) shall be moving to a U.K. beam very soon and shall not be viewable in France and Spain. If that happens we shall be forced into streaming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back