Is this tap repairable? (1 Viewer)

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Looks like a common problem - Broken wire, have managed to remove two (and most of my knuckle skin…)
Black wire appears to be broken right in the white bit. Even if I get this out - is it fixable?
Not an expert, and brown wire also looks worn from movement, so might also go soon.
From Adria twin 2019. Reich tap.

IMG_8169.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'll say yes, as I have had to repair ours on our old Hymer.

The wires break with the constant movement of the flipper back and forth over time.
If you are good with a small soldering iron, you might get away with it, otherwise buy a new micro switch from ...................

...............then solder it. ;)

Good luck,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Ive managed to get white part out, presumably I could use a smart solder thing to join wires? Not sure there would be enough space for it where break was but presume I could pull the wire through a bit and leave the smart solder bit in the tap?

IMG_8170.jpeg

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve now repaired the one on my twin twice. First time I solder joined the wire where it had snapped. That worked fine till the other wire went. I’ve now removed and split the micro switch open and soldered in new more flexible wires. Works fine for now but I’m going to buy a new microswitch to keep in my repair bag in the van.

I do also have an ordinary on off toggle switch with wires which I used last time it broke, I fixed a bricket under the sink unit with a sticky pad then wired the switch in, fine for emergencies.

I believe this is the correct switch

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That micro switch is different to the one on my Twin, my one doesn’t have the metal tag and looks like this.
You just remove it Andy. ;)

I once received a new microswitch where the metal contact strip was too long, so I just swapped it over for the shorter strip off the old switch. ;)

Cheers,

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
If I need a new tap, how do I remove the old pipes from under the tap? Just pull?

IMG_8171.jpeg

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Car DIY Switches Water Drop Shape Button Switches Off/ON DC 12V for Fog Lights DRL LED Light Bar (19.6 inches) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QP6XM48/?tag=mhf04-21
Something like this could work as a ‘bodge’?
Thinking of needing a repair when short of time etc, just using some connectors to ‘block’ where 12 v feed from pump comes in, keep tap open and just press the button to get the water flowing.

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
You just remove it Andy. ;)

I once received a new microswitch where the metal contact strip was too long, so I just swapped it over for the shorter strip off the old switch. ;)

Cheers,

Thanks for all the advice, have ordered a new micro switch…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Whilst waiting for new switch, decided to take the old one apart, as one the wires seemed broken in there as well.
Requires a lot of rubber removal, presumably what keeps it waterproof, to finally find where terminals are.
Given that I don’t own a solder iron, let alone know how to use one, repair at this level seems optimistic, (hobby for a rainy day), but thought the photos might help anyone who does try this.

IMG_8192.jpeg

IMG_8193.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Whilst waiting for new switch, decided to take the old one apart, as one the wires seemed broken in there as well.
Requires a lot of rubber removal, presumably what keeps it waterproof, to finally find where terminals are.
Given that I don’t own a solder iron, let alone know how to use one, repair at this level seems optimistic, (hobby for a rainy day), but thought the photos might help anyone who does try this.

View attachment 852143

View attachment 852144

Obviously shot beyond any repair, so good to have ordered a new one. (y)
Did you order a spare for your tool kit too, cos as sure as eggs are eggs, you'll need it at some stage. ;)

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back