Is my hard drive 💀 dead (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am in need of a technical opinion please.
My trusty Dell laptop (11 years old but had a new SSD around 3 years ago)
Started playing up yesterday with screen haze occasionally.
In the past 30 minutes it appears to have chucked in the towel🙄

This appeared on the screen, and despite several attempts to re boot it now don’t want to play.

Anyone confirm what’s up or do I have to rob my piggy bank. 🤭
369A2BDA-6859-45E9-BEA8-A1FC36A099DA.jpeg
8894AC12-6F19-45BE-8025-1C00A9844A59.jpeg
593996D4-22AD-40AB-8ED9-C63ACA6EF0F5.jpeg

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Any way you can connect it to a monitor or TV screen?
Could be the graphics card on its last legs
I thought that and it’s not replaceable.
I did get a message that said

@windows failed to load, reboot “

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Remove the HDD and connect it to a working computer then transfer your files. What you're seeing is more like a memory or CPU failure than HDD. Or graphics card if it's separate from the CPU.
I upgraded the memory at the same time as a new ssd and I may still have the old sticks so may be worth a shot to get an idea.
Thsnks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Just try turning all off, disconnect cables,, leave to cool, then reconnect and restart. Has worked for me in the past, costs nothing anyway.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just try turning all off, disconnect cables,, leave to cool, then reconnect and restart. Has worked for me in the past, costs nothing anyway.
Just done that and also connected to an external vdu

Nope

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just connected to an external vdu and got this ..,
From the little I am able to read it seems like a window’s failure
But I really don’t know

CBF6352B-594A-4F91-95F6-9F7950AF6ACE.jpeg

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My Samsung started playing up earlier this year, turning off and going into recovery after rebooting, took several attempts to get it running again. I took it to a firm in the village and carried on with a refurbished Lenovo I'd bought for travelling. After they'd replaced the hard drive with a SSD and put everything back on it worked for a few days but went back to crash mode. They had it in again and decided it didn't know whether to run from battery or mains and was too expensive to repair. It then booted with the battery out and continued ok after putting it back in - for a few days. In the end I gave up and after reserching options to update the Lenovo discovered SSD and memory are pretty universal/compatible so it was a straight swap to take the new SSD and bigger memory from the Samsung and fit it in the Lenovo. I also bought this to transfer stuff from the Lenovo's drive to the now replaced SSD.

Amazon product ASIN B07PTPDH8N
1673208336688.png

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
My Samsung started playing up earlier this year, turning off and going into recovery after rebooting, took several attempts to get it running again. I took it to a firm in the village and carried on with a refurbished Lenovo I'd bought for travelling. After they'd replaced the hard drive with a SSD and put everything back on it worked for a few days but went back to crash mode. They had it in again and decided it didn't know whether to run from battery or mains and was too expensive to repair. It then booted with the battery out and continued ok after putting it back in - for a few days. In the end I gave up and after reserching options to update the Lenovo discovered SSD and memory are pretty universal/compatible so it was a straight swap to take the new SSD and bigger memory from the Samsung and fit it in the Lenovo. I also bought this to transfer stuff from the Lenovo's drive to the now replaced SSD.

Amazon product ASIN B07PTPDH8NView attachment 704408
That’s an interesting comment about the battery!
It started as I was running low on battery and I then plugged in the mains charger.
It’s not been right since.
I will remove the battery and try again.
But I suspect even it recovers it will be on borrowed time.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Amazon product ASIN B07PTPDH8NView attachment 704408
Tried with and without the battery no go,
Still a message “ windows did not load”

It also seems I have limited time to do anything before I get a blank screen

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Before trying to do too much you need to see if you can recover data from the SSD if you have no backups.

Do you have access to any other computer, be that another laptop or desktop? If so you can take out the SSD from the failing lappy and either mount temporarily as an extra drive in the other computer. There are adaptors / housings that would let you connect the SSD via USB to that second computer. At that point you should be able to read the SSD if it is still working, and copy anything from it.

My suspicion, as hinted by others is the laptop CPU/GPU, motherboard is failing. May be as simple as a loose joint somewhere, but difficult to diagnose. SSD problems will usually have errors along lines that the disk can't be found.

You may be able to boot into the BIOS at startup, but be careful if you haven't tried recovering your data as above. On Dell lappy try pressing the F2 or F12 key repeatedly during boot. If the Screen goes weird whilst trying to get to BIOS then it really does point at the CPU/GPU motherboard issues as it won't have got as far as trying to read in detail the SSD.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Before trying to do too much you need to see if you can recover data from the SSD if you have no backups.

Do you have access to any other computer, be that another laptop or desktop? If so you can take out the SSD from the failing lappy and either mount temporarily as an extra drive in the other computer. There are adaptors / housings that would let you connect the SSD via USB to that second computer. At that point you should be able to read the SSD if it is still working, and copy anything from it.

My suspicion, as hinted by others is the laptop CPU/GPU, motherboard is failing. May be as simple as a loose joint somewhere, but difficult to diagnose. SSD problems will usually have errors along lines that the disk can't be found.

You may be able to boot into the BIOS at startup, but be careful if you haven't tried recovering your data as above. On Dell lappy try pressing the F2 or F12 key repeatedly during boot. If the Screen goes weird whilst trying to get to BIOS then it really does point at the CPU/GPU motherboard issues as it won't have got as far as trying to read in detail the SSD.
Thank you for the sound advice I think this laptop has seen its day and it’s been a good servant.
I think a replacement is in order and in the meantime remove the ssd and aquifer the appropriate leads to try to recover the files.

I did transfer all the files once before when I changed from a normal HD to the SSD.

Thanks again 👍

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I hope I don’t add confusion but from the screen shot of the Windows error message it looks like a couple of things are going on.
Windows won’t boot normally but it’s “well enough” to tell you that. That means a fix could be simple if you’ve windows recovery media, etc. yy
Boot you’ve a graphic display issue that looks hardware related. (n)
The ”optimising image, please wait” middle message is from your monitor.

If you’re backups of data and are looking to get a new laptop, one of the SSD/HDD sata to usb cables could be used with the old laptop’s SSD to speed up copying across data to a new PC.

That new laptop idea maybe easier than troubleshooting the combined OS & HW issues on the old one

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I think I have an old dell your welcome tot the screen if it fits but will have to check I got rid of a load of old laptops recently

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Have you tried starting windows in safe mode just in case you’ve got a corrupted video driver?
Also, Dell normally have a boot into test mode option which lets you run hardware checks. That would have been on the original hard drive but you may not have copied it over when you built the SSD?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I am in need of a technical opinion please.
My trusty Dell laptop (11 years old but had a new SSD around 3 years ago)
The life of a laptop is 18-24 months.
You can easily get 3 years out of them if you look after them.
But at 5 years you really should be replacing them, as anything beyond that is borrowed time.

When you replaced the SSD 3 years ago, it was already 8 years old, an obsolete geriatric in computer terms, you really should have replaced the entire laptop.

I'd suggest a local hardware IT company may be able to salvage the hard drive and get off some of the data, to transfer to a new laptop.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The life of a laptop is 18-24 months.
You can easily get 3 years out of them if you look after them.
But at 5 years you really should be replacing them, as anything beyond that is borrowed time.

When you replaced the SSD 3 years ago, it was already 8 years old, an obsolete geriatric in computer terms, you really should have replaced the entire laptop.

I'd suggest a local hardware IT company may be able to salvage the hard drive and get off some of the data, to transfer to a new laptop.
I have got 8 years out of my last one. The current one purchased in 2015 is still going strong.

The lifespan of modern laptops does not have a limit on it. You may have to replace an SSD if you are a heavy user and wear levelling has reached the limits. But there is nothing saying 18-24 months is normal for a consumer usage..

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Provided you don't abuse it modern lappy will last many years. Battery may stop holding a decent charge but rest of machine should be fine. Only a real heavy user likely to reach limits on a SSD.

What usually dictates laptop, and other electronics is more obsolescence that a newer device would run so much faster, or the old device can't run the latest software. Windows 11 is an example that many devices won't be upgradable from Win 10 which won't have support after 2025.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
work laptops on average 2 years before they died personal one I keep until they will not go in any longer will have to have a look at what this is running on thanks Kannon Fodda looks like a new one may be required. But if I can fully finish work I may be able to get way with a tablet next time

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you all for the feedback I will now be on the hunt for a sensibly priced laptop that I use for browsing, documents, photos and a bit of work with my watercolour painting.
I have a tablet which I like particularly when travelling,but there is something about a laptop that I find suits.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have got 8 years out of my last one. The current one purchased in 2015 is still going strong.

The lifespan of modern laptops does not have a limit on it. You may have to replace an SSD if you are a heavy user and wear levelling has reached the limits. But there is nothing saying 18-24 months is normal for a consumer usage..
We've got two one 8 years old the other about 10 both at the moment work well. All we do is a bit of browsing although most of that's on the phone these days and a bit of word processing/ looking up music.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
We now use a Samsung galaxy S8+ in our van it has a 14.6 screen I think there is a watercolour app that shows as updating although I haven't used it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back