Is it time to say bye bye to bt. (1 Viewer)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
BT phone plus internet is getting expensive. We all have mobiles but need phone line for BB.

Now that I have found that I can get a 6gb sim for £14 that last for 90 days is it time to say bye bye to BT?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Said goodbye to them 3 years ago terrible company hopefully we'll never have to deal with them again.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
just gone over to Talktalk from Virgin and saved £16 per month, unlimited internet and anytime calls free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
BT phone plus internet is getting expensive. We all have mobiles but need phone line for BB.

Now that I have found that I can get a 6gb sim for £14 that last for 90 days is it time to say bye bye to BT?
I think it depends on what you use your BB for. I have more or less unlimited data with my O2 contract in the UK but unfortunately living somewhere vaguely rural the signal is not brilliant so download speeds are probably not good enough for say iPlayer. Other suppliers, such as Vodafone are similar in signal strength.

But I agree BT is expensive and we had a real hassle getting connected when we moved here but for high speed Internet connection they are the best on offer for where I live.

I might look at getting a better external aerial for the mifi and give that a try sometime.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
But dont you still have to pay for bt line?
Still using BT line but their charge is included monthly in Talktalk's bill, all included in the monthly charge around £22 against Virgin's £38+.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
bt line is about 15 per month bb add another 15 so about 30 pm. bb is good 6-7mbs but we all have mobiles and the land line is not used so really bb is 30 pm. but then the land line is always on and mobiles can be iffy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I got a letter from Virgin Media last year saying prices were rising I rang up to ask them to cancel the phone line and make us broadband only customers. They gave me a deal where we get both for less than the cost of broadband only. The deals are out there - and they will bend over backwards to keep customers - but you only get them if you ask.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We ditched Sky and BT and went Virgin for TV, BB and phone at home. Have saved a considerable amount per month in doing so and will use Now TV if we miss any Sky content not included on Virgin as necessary.

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
But the phone line is bt? or do have fibre

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Gave up with BT approx 4 years ago. Mobile does fine and my BB is via 3 MiFi. Even my elderly mother gave up BT as she got fed up with the 'cold calling' usually around tea time.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
We are with talk talk for BB, line rental,phone and 2 sim mobies. Bill inc line rental £30.00 per month with £15.00 per month for the two mobiles.
All works well but I am tempted by the BT sport offering, any others using their TV services?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sky; not great but far better service than BT not that that's saying much and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have BT everything bb TV BT sport all calls and line rental just short of £50 a month. Had BT internet since the day it started. Had free serve dialup before that. Never had a problem or anytime it won't connect. Fully satisfied but must add we live out in the country nothing much else available and we are only 20 yards from the exchange

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
I used to pay bt for the line rental ( 13,99 ) then aol (£7.99) for unlimited bb inc anytime unlimited calls ,,,, rang aol, said I was leaving ,, they put me through to talk talk , gave me a one year deal of £8.50 a month includes line rental ,,,unlimited bb, unlimited anytime calls ,,, caller display ,,,,,
So I say worth telling them your leaving

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As it happens I've just renewed the contract with BT today.
Paid the 12 months line rental up front which works out at £13.25 a month, £8.60 for broadband but only for 10GB and £7.00 for anytime calls.
I was paying £10.65 for broadband on the last contract so it's a bit cheaper.
I can also cancel the anytime calls when we go to Spain.
By sticking to BT I also have BT Sport and of course BTfon which has been useful in France.

Mike

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
When I got a letter from Virgin Media last year saying prices were rising I rang up to ask them to cancel the phone line and make us broadband only customers. They gave me a deal where we get both for less than the cost of broadband only.
That also happened to me last year. I told them to get rid of the phone altogether and I just wanted the BB. They offered me both for the same price as I would pay for the BB including free 24/7 01, 02 & 0845 numbers. The reason behind this I believe, is they hope i will make some calls to mobiles and other numbers where I will be charged extra. And I do but under a £5.00 per month. Could still live without it though and in time it will disappear completely as our mobile cost are coming down all the time. Mind you their BB is outstanding. My daughter is stuck with BT and it's absolutly crap!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We are with talk talk for BB, line rental,phone and 2 sim mobies. Bill inc line rental £30.00 per month with £15.00 per month for the two mobiles.
All works well but I am tempted by the BT sport offering, any others using their TV services?

We use thier tv package, well if you are on infinity you get the majority of channels.
You even get some good ones ie Moto GP and Aviva Rugby and rubbish like football :) but you do pay for it.
Its not as expensive as Sky though

Im considering my options at the mo

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Bt sacked three years ago.
Current deals

Mi Fi for computers £14?Mnth -- 10 mb
payg phone with 02 .

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Some info ,For those that are not bt customers and want to use the FON network, see motorhome wifi Site,

You can purchase a FON box from http://shop.fon.com – typing ‘United Kingdom’ when prompted for your location.

About £30 at today's £/€

Atb Lau

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The companies that top both Which? and PC Pro lists every year include Zen and PlusNet. At the bottom are Sky, Virgin, BT, EE, et al with BT at the very bottom. These annual surveys cover speed, breakdowns, and customer service. Not one of the 'major' mainstream providers appears further than half way up the lists. I've used Zen for around 5 years now with no outages and no speed problems. And if I call their customer service line it's answered in Rochdale by a lady with local accent.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's BT or TalkTalk here as we are way out in the sticks. TalkTalk charge an extra £10 a month because there is no space capacity at the exchange. We aren't supposed to get broadband as we are on longline 4 miles from the exchange - no cable here of course. We do get about 1MB though. Tried Sky but it didn't work because of the local topography.

I'm happy with BT as they guarantee the data line for my medical stuff. Any problems and they are here within an hour and sort it - even if that means a download onto disc and transmission from elsewhere. That's only happened once.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back