1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World
    Register to remove adverts Register Here

    Welcome to Motorhome Fun

    MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

    It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Interesting experience Insuring the MH !!

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Cocoro, Feb 15, 2013.

  1. Cocoro

    Cocoro Funster

    Nov 5, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Hi All,

    Importing a MH isn't getting any easier. I've done it before and it was as simple as....

    But quiet apart from that, insuring it has been interesting. Following on from an earlier post I read on here regarding leaving the UK for more than six months I got the jitters and decided to really question the agency I was using. I was offered what I thought a really great premium of £556 which included RAC cover and personal effects up to £3,000. This is for a Carthago Mondial 58DRH valued at £55k. It included 365 days European cover at Fully Comp with no limit on individual trips. Fantastic I thought! But the earlier post was niggling me so I pushed the agency to confirm both the RAC cover was applicable to larger vehicles that simply can't be put on a truck because of the height and weight but importantly the Euro cover as I intend to make a longer than average trip this year. Natalie seem surprised that I was questioning what was clearly written in the policy document but conceded she would enquire.

    She came back to me quiet surprised. "It was good that you made me ask Mr Swanwick......."

    Even though the policy booklet says 365 days with no limit on number or length of trip, it doesn't cover 'extended trips'.......! They appear to accept within the wording of the policy 'normal holiday' trips but not lengthy tours of say (and it is just of 'Say') three months or more. There is no definitive term which could define what is deemed a 'lengthy trip'. Mmmmm. My plan this year is when, if, my van ever is allowed to be registered (more on that later) I will disappear for an amble which may or may not take me all the way to Autumn. Had I not pushed the issue I would have assumed I was insured for this.

    Of course, if it doesn't say it in the policy booklet then what leg do they have to stand on if they contested a claim? Probably none but I for one do not wish to find that out following a crash where I'll be in no mood to start fighting in court. One phrase that was used was "if your intending to spend longer in your MH than you will in your home........" It appears its not important your defo not a 'Full Timer' only that you have so much free time to use your MH much more than for typical holiday use.

    Natalie did however assure me that the RAC cover is perfectly ok for larger vehicles. I still doubt this one as I am aware of cases where larger vehicles simply can't be 'rescued' due to size unless a tow is appropriate. But a tow would only be a 'get you off the highway' solution I think. However, I'll take that one for what it is.

    The insurance company is Aviva and the agency is AJ Insurance Services Ltd who I can't praise enough. Importing a vehicle nowadays is difficult due to some agreements with the EU which insurance companies have interpreted as not allowing them to insure on a chassis number before registration in the UK. The fought bravely for me and managed to be able to issue a cover note insuring me for registration purposes. The catch 22 being of course that you need insurance to register a vehicle but you can't get insurance without having a british registration number. No one thought of that in Brussels! Thank you so much AJ Insurance.

    It's a bit strange but i now have a 'Full Timers' policy even though I'm not one, at a very much inflated premium of £1064.....eek! But it is a big expensive lump and I feel better knowing I don't have to second guess my cover (I hope!). But I guess it's all about intentions and I know what my intentions are and so does my insurer and I want to make sure I'm covered for them.
    7 people like this.
  2. Taran_Las

    Taran_Las Funster

    Mar 26, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Near Mold North Wales
    Thanks for this post. Very interesting reading.:thumb:
  3. john4d


    Jun 30, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Oh I'm glad I didn't read this before attempting to insure my imported Greek Registered MH or I would have been put off. In February I insured mine on its VIN without any problem. I am however having great difficultly in registering it. I went to Northampton DVLA with what I hoped were all of the documents only to be told by the woman behind the counter, after she had studied the Certificate of Conformity "This is a LHD vehicle so it doesn't meet the UK regulations, you must have the controls moved to the right hand side. You also need type approval" When I pointed out that the Notes of Guidance say that MH are exempt from type approval she just said "The rules have changed" As far as I can see neither of these statements are correct. I was however short of some documentation so I am now obtaining that and will attempt a visit to the DVLA again but this time making sure I don't speak to the same woman.

    The reason I've brought my MH back from Greece are annual insurance cost of €1950 with an uncertainty that it was comprehensively insured outside of Greece, the company assured me that it was but it was not mentioned in the documentation. Annual Road Fund licence of €880 plus an annual luxury tax of €1120 as it is 2.8 litres

  4. Sundowners

    Sundowners Funster

    Oct 30, 2007
    Likes Received:
    We've only just re-read our RAC European breakdown cover and find that it does not apply to vehicles over 6 years old (we thought this was 10) and also if your vehicle is over 3,500kg it is not covered. We already knew of the multi trip policy which only allows trips of 90 days or less at a time. What we can't understand is that we have told them what vehicle we have, they would know that it is 7 years old, but they still took our premium last month of £213.00.

    Will be on the phone later today to question them.

    Nigel and Pamala
  5. Sundowners

    Sundowners Funster

    Oct 30, 2007
    Likes Received:

    Just got around to ringing RAC and finding out about our cover with the European breakdown - we were a bit concerned that we were not covered -

    WELL, WELL, WELL - was informed that as we are with Arrivals, through The Camping and Caravan Club, our vehicle is covered - age and size there are no restrictions, feel much happier now.

    See below:

    Arrival is RAC's breakdown and recovery scheme developed exclusively for members of The Camping and Caravanning Club
    Arrival includes all the benefits of standard RAC breakdown cover, but also provides specialist cover for your caravan, trailer tent, motorhome or trailer.
    Great Offer – join Arrival today and receive a year’s free Camping and Caravanning Club membership worth £40!*
    Special benefits that are only available on Arrival are:
    • Bespoke cover, whether you're towing or touring
    • We’ll come to your rescue on any UK campsite
    • No width or length restrictions for caravans/trailers/motorhomes
    • If your caravan cannot be towed, we’ll still recover it^
    • Arrival Return – we'll take you to your UK campsite and back home again if your vehicle cannot be repaired^
    • Re-Unite – we'll bring the vehicle and caravan/trailer together if they are separated due to a breakdown. In the unlikely event we can't fix your vehicle, we'll take you and your caravan/motorhome/trailer tent/trailer home^
    • No European supplements for caravans and older vehicles
    • 15% off standard RAC prices every year you renew**
    Benefits of Camping and Caravanning Club Membership
    • Membership value of £40
    • Savings on campsite bookings
    • Access to 110 award-winning UK campsites
    • Over 1,500 Small Campsites
    • Access to Carefree, the Club’s Overseas Travel Service
    Join now

    * Not available to current Camping and Caravanning Club members. The Camping and Caravanning Club membership subscription is worth £40, price valid until 31st March 2013. RAC will forward your details onto The Camping and Caravanning Club for them to set up free membership for one year. They will send you your membership card/s and more information about the Club including a campsite directory. These should be sent to you in approximately 21 days. For enquiries about your Camping and Caravanning Club membership please call 0845 130 7632. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and may be withdrawn at anytime.
    Non-commercial vehicles only, excluding certain vehicle types.
    ^ Applies when Recovery has been taken as a membership option.
    ** 15% discount applies to standard RAC prices for every year you renew, plus receive the additional benefits of Arrival cover (refer to our full Terms and Conditions for details) . Based on payment on a continuous annual basis. Prices may vary if payment is made by other methods. Offer applies to all levels of personal- based cover. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. RAC reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time. Full terms and conditions of membership apply and are available on request. Provided by RAC Motoring Services and/or RAC Insurance Limited. RAC Motoring Services (Registered No. 1424399, Registered Office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW) in respect of insurance mediation activities only and RAC Insurance Limited (Registered No. 2355834, Registered Office: as above) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
    Got a question?
    Enter your question below:



    Nigel and Pamala
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. Geo

    Geo Trader - Funster

    Jul 29, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Having made use of the service last August I can confirm it does what it says on the tin with a 7.5 ton 36 footer:thumb:
    However I did have areas of concern that I hope others may look into as well as me
    It appears at first glance
    that recover and repatriation if needed is limited to £2000 in a single claim and no more than 2 claims per year
    Sounds reasonable till you realise that a big chunk of that limit may be used up by the French Motorway recovery services not leaving an awfull lot for the homeward run

    Guestimates have indicated to get my rig home could be circa £5000 + from southern France so a £2000 limit wont go far enough One light in the tunnel it may just be possible that the limits is £2000 in Europe then another £2000 in the uk making £4000 in total but that needs to be clarified
    anyone care to find out im going word blind with small print
    PS worth pointin g out.
    This area for concern is not limited to the large RV and fifth wheelers any vehicle over 3.500KG is normaly to heavy for the standard recovery equipment, and its calling the big boys out to play that rockets the costs
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

Share This Page