Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
Been toying with the idea of an inflatable kayak - any good, recommendations and experiences?
Lake and inshore bay use and it would be for Mrs T and myself.
As always, any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Kindest Regards
Trikeman.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Have you tries the search facility, as many Funsters have put their recommendations, dislikes & likes forward.
Here is one link, but the search facility on here is always your friend.
LES

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Advanced elements your not find much better. Take a look at the vids on YouTube.

we have had the advanced element advanced frame. But over the years they got to heavy for us so we then went to the advanced elements advanced ultralight. But bought the drop stitch floor that make everything very ridged while still light weight .

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've posted my experiences in past threads about inflatables..check it out....I use one on the Med....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We bought a Decathlon Itiwit 2 seater dropstitch floor inflatable kayak as a Christmas present to each other, but have not had a chance to use it yet.
Had a good look around and checked out reviews of the various inflatable kayaks on the market and went with the Decathlon one as it appeared to be the best value for money for one with a dropstitch floor for us to potter around in.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We bought a Decathlon Itiwit 2 seater dropstitch floor inflatable kayak as a Christmas present to each other, but have not had a chance to use it yet.
Had a good look around and checked out reviews of the various inflatable kayaks on the market and went with the Decathlon one as it appeared to be the best value for money for one with a dropstitch floor for us to potter around in.

Many Thanks for your information, excellent.
Going to check out the link again when I get to my laptop.
Kindest Regards
Trikeman. šŸ‘

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We have the decathlon Itiwit 2 seater and love it ! main thing about a dropstitch floor is that it doesn't hold water inside skin when you take it out so easier to stow away. Comes with a lovely backpack [pump doesnt fit in that tho- sadly .
Have pottered about on rivers here- sea once- no problems . Cant wait to get it out again

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Search for Gumotex using my name and you'll find loads of threads.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Wonder if Aldi will be bringing back their Ā£40 inflatable kayak this year? And if it's any good?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Neilfg i think yours are brilliant but canā€™t remember the name, any chance of a link?
Carpmart this thread may interest you.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have inflatables - changed from rigid sit ons due to being less able to get the rigids on and off the roof.

We have a Blue Wave and a Sea Eagle , both drop stitch constriction. Once fully inflated they are indistinguishable from the rigids but are lighter and move through the water very easily. They handle more like a sit in as you are lower in the water but are wide and stable like a sit on. I found the skeg (supplied) to be necessary even though in the past I never needed one. I have not figured out if it is possible to fit a rudder but not really necessary as I bow or stern rudder if I need to.

We have also bought electric motors for them but not been able to try out the motors yet.

I know we are a long way from you Trikeman but if you want to try ours out you would be very welcome to give them a go. Perhaps we could meet part way between us :)

The Blue Wave can be paddled as a double or single so we can take our Grandson with us. The Sea Eagle Razorlite is a single.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Wonder if Aldi will be bringing back their Ā£40 inflatable kayak this year? And if it's any good?
Very much doubt it. It'll be equivalent to using an inflatable dinghy on the sea. Very subject to wind and awkward to use.
With inflatable kayaks I do think you get what you pay for. If you're looking for cheap, you'd be better off buying a used sit on kayak. There are loads about.
On the other hand, if it's literally just for messing about for an hour or so now and then on a safe bit of inland water and you need something which packs down pretty small the Ā£40 Aldi special may well serve your purpose.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Gumotex Twist for me following recommendations from Minxy
Had some great fun in it from Adriatic to Wales.
I do like the look of the drop stitch kayaks though so I may upgrade, but when I looked last year nobody had any stock anywhere

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Very much doubt it. It'll be equivalent to using an inflatable dinghy on the sea. Very subject to wind and awkward to use.
With inflatable kayaks I do think you get what you pay for. If you're looking for cheap, you'd be better off buying a used sit on kayak. There are loads about.
On the other hand, if it's literally just for messing about for an hour or so now and then on a safe bit of inland water and you need something which packs down pretty small the Ā£40 Aldi special may well serve your purpose.
Agreed on the "you get what you pay for" hence my question on any good.
Just depends on what Op was looking to use it for.(y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Consider weight when buying an inflatable...they can eat into your payload...

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Another Sea Eagle Razorlite user here..ours is a double, although can still be used as a single. Great boat - like it very much.šŸ‘

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Search for Gumotex using my name and you'll find loads of threads.
Had the twist and the twist two.
light weight but did not track well into a strong head wind.
the only advantage was it could be dried off with a towel right after use and packed away dry.

the advanced elements ultralight cuts through the chop and wind and tracks as good as a solid kayak and weighs approx a kg more.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I usually have our Tazzy in the bow which puts some weight there that makes quite a difference to its performance, if she's not going out with me then I use an old squishy water carrier and put about 8 litres in it which goes at the front instead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back