Indoor tv aerial - fit for purpose in mh? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I am loathed to fitting an external aerial onto my pvc.
Does anyone use or has used an internal aerial for their (uk) tv reception? Any good?

Alternatively any suggestions for terrestial/freeview reception?

Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Due to the steel structure of a PVC think any internal aerial would be less than successful except in strong signal areas .. and would probably need an amplifier

I also have a PVC and have a Vision plus Status roof mounted aerial which works quite well... I understand your loathing at fitting, mine was already fitted ..

Alternatively, buy a Maxview caravan aerial that can be mounted outside .. and removed when travelling

Other option is to use a Firestck and stream TV using your phone as a hot spot

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Stick it out of the skylight.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I have similar to this.
Stick on roof, via skylight, and get better reception than factory-fitted aerial...

Vecys Digital TV Antenna DVB-T2 Portable Indoor Outdoor TV DTMB Antenna with Magnetic Base with 5m Cable,USB and TV Male Connector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C2VDNSNS/?tag=mhf04-21

There are also versions of that antenna available with a 12v amplifier. I’ve fitted one in our Adria Compact - in one of the bedroom lockers sitting on an additional flat piece of metal to act as a ground plane. Works very well given the size and its internal location.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I have similar to this.
Stick on roof, via skylight, and get better reception than factory-fitted aerial...

Vecys Digital TV Antenna DVB-T2 Portable Indoor Outdoor TV DTMB Antenna with Magnetic Base with 5m Cable,USB and TV Male Connector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C2VDNSNS/?tag=mhf04-21
I have one as well as back up for when we can't use the satellite, and it works amazingly well

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I have a magnetic one that I can just feed up through a slightly open window or skylight. Hardly ever use it though tbh. Usually mobile data these days.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I have similar to this.

I recently bought one similar to that from ebay (there are loads apparently identical) following recommendation in another thread here.

Mine has an amplifier in the lead (which is much longer than this), powered from a USB socket on the telly, stuck on roof beside the nearest opening skylight (bit tricky finding a neat route for the wire without drilling through the roof or breaking any seals but I found one) and it is shockingly brilliant so I strongly recommend trying one.

Biggest decision now is whether to bother removing the original aerial...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back