LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
WHY!!! do some butterflies land with there wings open, like the common swallowtail, so that I can get a photo and some with their wings closed (inconsiderate buggers!!!)

Often the inside of the wings is the most beautiful.

It is most frustrating!!! :Angry:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You just need a faster shutter speed ,patience and good timing.In order to take off the butterfly must open its wings,so as they move downward for the first time and before it gains any lift, PRESS THE BUTTON!
Result ,butterfly still on leaf with wings open. ::bigsmile:

Vlad Bailey.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
On the subject of butterflies last year we had an abundance of peacock butterflies on the Budlia bush by my front gate, some really beautiful examples, this year non at all, what we have got instead is loads of what I think are Cabbage Whites, anyone else notice this swing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
WHY!!! do some butterflies land with there wings open, like the common swallowtail, so that I can get a photo and some with their wings closed (inconsiderate buggers!!!)

Often the inside of the wings is the most beautiful.

It is most frustrating!!! :Angry:

'Common Swallowtail', you should be so lucky! Common in S france, but rare as hen's teeth in the cold Uk!

There seems to be certain times when the wings are flexed open, usually when air temps and radiant sunlight are the right combination, but I've never worked out what that is. Usually the damned things flutter for miles across the countryside never settling for an instant and when they do it's in an inaccessible thicket for an instant of a second.
Makes photographing dragonflies seem positively simple!

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I'm in Bristol at the moment right out in the sticks, managed to get quite close and snap a few pictures of butterflies as I was wandering from the car park to the hotel:thumb: hoping they came out ok I will post them when I get home today:Smile:

Rob

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
'Common Swallowtail', you should be so lucky! Common in S france, but rare as hen's teeth in the cold Uk!

There seems to be certain times when the wings are flexed open, usually when air temps and radiant sunlight are the right combination, but I've never worked out what that is. Usually the damned things flutter for miles across the countryside never settling for an instant and when they do it's in an inaccessible thicket for an instant of a second.
Makes photographing dragonflies seem positively simple!

Not a very good image, taken on my phone in France earlier this year...

20130522_112710.jpg

If anyone wants to see or photograph Common Swallowtails there are plenty here in Norfolk around some of the broads. Although now getting late in the season they may still be around.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not a very good image, taken on my phone in France earlier this year...

20130522_112710.jpg

If anyone wants to see or photograph Common Swallowtails there are plenty here in Norfolk around some of the broads. Although now getting late in the season they may still be around.
Recent phones take excellent close up photographs. If you set it for spot focusing you would have this beautiful butterfly nice and crisp rather than the grass that surrounds it.:winky:

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
hi,
as a general rule, butterflies rest with wings folded up over their backs and moths with their wings open but often butterflies will absorb the heat from the sun to warm their cold bodies prior to flight and by doing this with their wings open, absorb the max available.
hope this helps to explain what you have observed. ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You just need a faster shutter speed ,patience and good timing.In order to take off the butterfly must open its wings,so [HI]as they move downward for the first time and before it gains any lift, PRESS THE BUTTON![/HI]
Result ,butterfly still on leaf with wings open. ::bigsmile:

Vlad Bailey.

We have to remember that Munchie is OLD so his reaction times are so much slower :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back