1. Untitled Document

Idea for motorhome gadget?

Discussion in 'TECH/MECH GENERAL' started by Gromett, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

This is more for the techie types I think.

I am thinking about getting one of these 4" tablets and permanently mounting it in my van. I will get also get Raspberry Pi and link them via wifi. Due to the built in IO ports I can them control anything in the van via the android tablet. Just after christmas I will have my motorhomewifi.com 3g/wifi router set up so the van will be comprehensively networked:thumb:

I will configure the tablet to give me local weather wherever I am, temperatures from 2 digital thermometers one inside one outside.
    I will be able to control the lights.
    I will setup news feeds, email notifications and server monitoring.
    I could also link in external cameras for additional security when wilding.

So many more ideas as well.

£49 for the tablet
    £35 for the Pi
    Probably no more than £20 for the electronics. So around the £100 mark.
    9 people like this.
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader Staff Member

That could be useful and it certainly qualifies as a Funster gadget. :BigGrin: Motorhomers can spend an hour a day staring at their BM1's, you could while away a whole wet weekend with that:Smile:

Be interesting to see what uses you can put it to:thumb:
    1 person likes this.
  3. mdixon

mdixon Read Only Funster

I find doors are good to find out temp inside and outside:BigGrin:

Just kidding - keep us informed on what you get up to. Interested in what you can do with the Pi
    1 person likes this.
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Good idea Jim, might look into adding a battery monitor to it then I could get rid of the NASA.:thumb:
  5. buttons

buttons Funster

However you look at it, isn't it just a watered down version of what we all have in our homes.:Wink:
  6. bungy

bungy Funster

if you don't already have one...

how about a thermostat/timer for the water and heating

or even a frost control mechanism where if the temp drops the PI kicks the heating in or even remotely via a mail/text - on the rare occasions you may not be in the van overnight!!
  7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

No idea what you mean Buttons sorry. I never had a touch screen when I had a house and nothing was remote controlled via a portable panel not even my puter or tv.

Timer might be hard to integrate into the truma system, would have to look at the control board. If it is just a simple switch and variable resistor then it should be doable.

A frost alarm would be possible to send an email but that would mean you would need to be on hookup if you don't have solar panels. The pi doesn't draw a lot of power but over a long winter it may have an impact on batteries? Not sure would have to check on that one. It wouldn't be high on my priority list as I am a full timer and the heating is on all the time anyway:Wink:
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have found the 5V power supply for them both though. Just need to find the USB pin outs for the power supplies.:thumb:
  9. buttons

buttons Funster

Houses have come on leaps and bounds since you went mobile Gromett:Smile: Lights cameras music door locks auto temp control Windows 8 with touch screens wireless external hard drives. all controlled and monitored from a tablet anywhere in the world.:Laughing:
  10. sedge

sedge

Yup and Sterling Moss lives in a house where everything operates on hydraulics.

However for ordinary mortals we still adjust the boiler for temperature (or the stats on the rads) or open a window.

Yes we do have remote control on certain things although often walk across the room and operate the on/off switch etc - but they never invent anything that does the ironing - which is about the only gadget I really want !
    1 person likes this.
  11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

Too small. Make it big 'n' bold then you aren't going to run out of screen space.
  12. buttons

buttons Funster

My partner loves ironing, why else would she do so much of it. :Smile:
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

I seem to recall in The Good Book, "and Adam was so pissed off with ironing he asked God for a gadget" so, seeing as how he was a bit knackered after creating the universe and everything, he decided on a quick fix, grabbed a lump of Adam, juggled the DNA to add an ironing gene, and said to Adam, his is your ironing gadget. But watch out, I did it in a hurry and there may be a few bugs in the DNA but you'll have to live with them.
    9 people like this.
  14. chockswahay

chockswahay Funster

Gromett..........I like this idea :thumb::thumb::thumb:

:BigGrin:
  15. buttons

buttons Funster

Only a few bugs?:Rofl1:
  16. aba

aba Funster

evil-ution has done many a wonder with these bugs :Doh: :Eek!: :Rofl1::Rofl1:
  17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I chose this one because of price and it will fit in a small space on my wall.
    It will be android based so you can always buy a bigger more expensive one:thumb:
  18. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Am I correct in assuming you do not have a girlfriend Grommet:BigGrin:
    1 person likes this.
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

OK but you've got good big ambitions there, I really do think you'll hamper yourself in no time. It's not that much more for a cheap(ish) 7" or 10", you don't need a blistering fast one or even new. First time you rig up a camera you will realise this.

There is also a case for "why Android" ? You've got a computer with good video why not use it ?
  20. micky drip

micky drip Funster

I`m not very clued up on things technical, but I suspect some of you are not treating this forum seriously.:Doh:
    1 person likes this.