LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Good thread and very timely, as we are going away at the end of October for 5 months, and now the Camino/Vodafone.es deal has gone by the wayside, I am not sure what to go for.

I am leaning towards Popit, as it has been reccomended and we want coverage in more than one EU country. Does anyone have any info on Popits fair use policy? I haven't been able to find anything on their website.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Good thread and very timely, as we are going away at the end of October for 5 months, and now the Camino/Vodafone.es deal has gone by the wayside, I am not sure what to go for.

I am leaning towards Popit, as it has been reccomended and we want coverage in more than one EU country. Does anyone have any info on Popits fair use policy? I haven't been able to find anything on their website.
I am paying £25/m for 100g. There is no 'fair usage policy' catch. 100g/m is more than enough for me.

Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
For my onboard router I always buy local data sims when away, Spanish and Portuguese etc. But never bought a French one and I'm going to be there for a month or so. Anyone know what data deals you can get on supermarket sims in France? Cheers.
I can highly recommend a Reglo sim. I bought a Reglo sim card at the Leclerc in Saint Pol de Leon when we arrived in France in May and loaded it with 140gb. It cost €18.95, but that included €5 for the card itself. That lasted us for a month and then we switched over to the second sim slot which has our UK Govivo Sim in it. In the Uk the Govivo card gives us unlimited data and when in France 25gb, so we had 165gb in total to last us the 6 weeks we were away.

I kept the Reglo sim card in our Avtex motorhome wifi system and when we arrived in France again at the end of August I topped it up with another 140gb, for €13.95.

It's very easy to top up their Sim cards on line, or you can pop into a Leclerc and top it up at the desk simply giving them the card details. You don't have to have 140gb, there arr lots of different amounts but we use a lot between us.

It's the best value Sim I've found and it has worked brilliantly as it uses SFR which has one of the latgest coverages in France.

They are sold in the area of the supermarket that sells books, papers, etc, not the checkout till. You'll need to provide identity and a French address. I showed my passport and gave the address of the French campsite we were going to for the first few days. Just make sure you ask them to activate the card for you.

Have a look at their web site - Reglo Mobile.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Camino has a new offer…

€45 or just under for 200gb per month roaming outside of Spain in all Tier 1 countries and 400gb in Spain.

Ive had a technical fault with my Starlink (a new cable is on its way) and we’ve used 120gb in France over the last week or so on the Tiekom service and it’s been working perfectly.

Soooo, get on it guys, it’s almost as good as last year and certainly better if in Spain. 👍🏻

Edit to say, we love the Popit SiMs for our mobiles and have been using them for nearly a year, with a good proportion of that time in the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hard to fit on my pushbike. Getting an extra seat for it in restaurants is a pain, then when you do, you never find a 220 outlet near a window! Also I look a bit of a prat with a sat dish on my head at the Orange Vélodrome watching the rugby :D
The portable router though with a French Data sim in it can sit in a saddlebag, or be in Siân's handbag at the bar or stadium (y)
When You said this I thought you meant for a hardwired router in your van lol.
For my onboard router

Apr 8, 2016
Poulton le Fylde
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Attached is the tarifs for reglo mobile in english (google translate so watch for errors), it is a little complicated as it shows tarrifs for all options.

It looks like internet abroad is roughly 1Gb for every euro you pay monthly, eg 5Gb for 4.95€ 10Gb for 9.95€ etc
I’ve just purchased a vodafone sim 100gb in Spain had to pay 5€ for SIM card and 15€ for 28 day PAYG DATA , renew every 28 days or when data limit reaches. When roaming throughout EU capped at 12gb.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I have been using Popit for France and Spain. Happy with performance and customer support so far. Also, BBC and ITV are happy to let you watch their broadcasts as you are using a UK sim.
Also using Popit which has worked well in Germany, Austria & Italy. I want to park it up after 27 days use, but dont have the option as apparently my roaming % is sitting at 88% whatever that means. Dont want to pay another full month, so guess will have to contact customer service to try & cancel it completely.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Also using Popit which has worked well in Germany, Austria & Italy. I want to park it up after 27 days use, but dont have the option as apparently my roaming % is sitting at 88% whatever that means. Dont want to pay another full month, so guess will have to contact customer service to try & cancel it completely.
Just play a couple of movies an your roaming will reach 100%. You will then have the option to switch to holding you sim for £1/m

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
In my limited experience, anything that uses the Orange network has always given me the best coverage and service. So an Orange SIM if you're buying locally would be my recommendation.

I rely on mobile data for my work when I'm .. ahem .. "working" .. abroad in my MH.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
RWG just to throw another in the hat. 200gb and not limited in EU for about £20.

If after taking your money, they bother to send the data card. And if, when you cancel, they don’t continue to take payments, then I’d agree. a great deal.

Deleted User
Based in France, but bought RWG SIM at £16.66 for 200Gb full EU roving. UK SIM so no need for VPN to watch iPlayer .

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
In France atm with RWG 200 gb deal…….. £20 no issues after 3 weeks….
And I have to say that I was a pain in the butt with my email questions to them to confirm I’d get the roaming I would want before I left the UK , and their responses to 5/6 of my emails were same day. 👍

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ll say it again, get a proper data only SIM from Tiekom. 400Gb in Spain, 200Gb roaming in the rest of tier 1.

All the other options being put forward are phone data plans, not data only SIMs, which is like comparing Oranges with Cumquats… 🤪.

Reactions: HKF

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back