Hymer Warranty for water ingress (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi - any Hymer owners able to tell us the situation for keeeping up the water ingress warranty on a Hymer.
Is proof of a damp check sufficient? or is there a book/manual that needs stamping? signing
Vehicle is a 2020 model
Thanks

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Check to see if the vehicle has had all of it's annual checks as they cannot be back dated and if one is missed the warranty is void.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It’s all computerised now and Hymer must do it we unfortunately missed one during covid lockdowns and after approaching Hymer the more or less said hard luck mate your warranty is invalid.
only good thing is it’s save me a small fortune in having the checks done and van is nice and dry😊

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The damp checks should be recorded on the Hymer system against the serial number, ask a friendly hymer dealer just to check online. I'm in the camp pleased to have kept them up, a garage leak turned into over 40 hours of warranty labour and spares that included a full reseal of a 4 year old van. There was no ingress into the van, but the workshop spotted an issue waiting to turn wet!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Due to covid, hymer allowed a longer time frame for warranty but you need to check.

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Once the damp check is done it should be logged on the Hymer computer base for the cover to be in place. Be warned as a certain dealer failed to log mine and I had to chase it it up to ensure it was logged.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
It’s all computerised now and Hymer must do it we unfortunately missed one during covid lockdowns and after approaching Hymer the more or less said hard luck mate your warranty is invalid.
only good thing is it’s save me a small fortune in having the checks done and van is nice and dry😊
Exactly what happened to me. Saved me money and van is dry

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Due to covid, hymer allowed a longer time frame for warranty but you need to check.
Yes but the longer time did not allow for dealers that could not cope and also a second lockdown our missed one should have been completed at star of first lockdown and then had to await new appointment which never happened and by the time I could get it done the next one was due and Hymer would not honour the warranty?

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yes but the longer time did not allow for dealers that could not cope and also a second lockdown our missed one should have been completed at star of first lockdown and then had to await new appointment which never happened and by the time I could get it done the next one was due and Hymer would not honour the warranty?
Mirror image of what happened to me, despite dealers pleading with Hymer they wouldn’t make an allowance. They had to close down their workshop during lockdowns as it was considered non essential maintenance as they didn’t carry out MOT’s.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My take on the whole thing was they weren’t going to budge? However I’m fairly good with doing things myself and think I would probably spot any damp before a yearly look around by someone who probably has not even owned a motorhome let alone find any damp?
of course saving me spending more of my hard earned pension and I have found the van to be sound but I do check all the seals and joints regularly?
I believe the more you use it the more chance of spotting and stopping damp before it becomes a problem? And Hymers charge for their checks are extortionate IMHO for just a visual inspection they dont even put that black spray around cables etc anymore.😊

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Thanks for all replies - much appreciated
We now know that it has not been logged and therefore no Water Ingress water from Hymer
I wouldn’t worry about it too much, ours has had three leaks and not suffered any real damage.
The first was via the rear cycle rack mounting points and water came into and down through the wardrobe, into the lower rear locker.
The second was via the seals on a side locker hinges and the third was via the oven chimney vent on the roof. All easily sorted with a little sealant.
No unprotected soft wood, cardboard or loft insulation involved in Hymer construction so little to be affected.
Our damage amounts to a slight staining of the ceiling around chimney vent but it’s hid away so never seen and some slight rusting of the screws in the lower locker area.
Keep an eye on sealants drying out and cracking and you’ll be fine.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I wouldn’t worry about it too much, ours has had three leaks and not suffered any real damage.
The first was via the rear cycle rack mounting points and water came into and down through the wardrobe, into the lower rear locker.
The second was via the seals on a side locker hinges and the third was via the oven chimney vent on the roof. All easily sorted with a little sealant.
No unprotected soft wood, cardboard or loft insulation involved in Hymer construction so little to be affected.
Our damage amounts to a slight staining of the ceiling around chimney vent but it’s hid away so never seen and some slight rusting of the screws in the lower locker area.
Keep an eye on sealants drying out and cracking and you’ll be fine.
Yes I agree, they offer a sales blurb of how good the construction is and impervious to damp then say you must have a damp check every year.

I’m maybe cynical but it does seem a little contradictory.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nice to see that you have found a van SteveandSue (y) I felt a bit guilty driving past and waving just before New Year but knowing that you have a van makes me feel better ;)

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I agree, they offer a sales blurb of how good the construction is and impervious to damp then say you must have a damp check every year.

I’m maybe cynical but it does seem a little contradictory.
Well summed up Paul, this is how I see it too. They go on about how good their products are but don’t want to back it up under normal warranty terms. Shocking way to go about things, they should put their money where their mouth is.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Well worth getting the annual check done for us. Ours spotted a damp problem above one of the wheels in the garage. Would have cost a lot to sort out.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just to update from my loss of damp warranty van now five years old still no damp problems so Hymer probably did me a favour and saved me three years of paying for an unnecessary expensive
check😊

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Good evening evening all.
We have water, not masses, in the footwell of the passenger door (A-class). The van has only done two trips from new. It is going in to the dealer for this along with some other bits.
Should we be unduly worried? Is it common?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
could be the door seals, do you use a silver screen cover with the strap that fits over the door as that can let in water if not fitted properly🤔

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
could be the door seals, do you use a silver screen cover with the strap that fits over the door as that can let in water if not fitted properly🤔
Thanks. The screen cover does not hook over the door. It is not a massive amount of water tbf, just tge worry that it shouldn't be there really.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks. The screen cover does not hook over the door. It is not a massive amount of water tbf, just tge worry that it shouldn't be there really.
Under the mat in the well is a plastic liner so won’t cause much in the way of damage🤞🤞🤞😊

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Under the mat in the well is a plastic liner so won’t cause much in the way of damage🤞🤞🤞😊
Thanks. There is no liner in the footwell, only a loose piece of ribbed grey carpet with a thick insulation on the back. The water is on the black painted metallic surface of the footwell.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks. There is no liner in the footwell, only a loose piece of ribbed grey carpet with a thick insulation on the back. The water is on the black painted metallic surface of the footwell.
Probably plastic not my best description I think it’s like a carbon composite on ours😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back