chrispaul

Free Member
Jan 2, 2013
norfolk
Funster No
MH
hymer 660
Exp
hi im new to motorhomes we r looking for our first one on a tight budget i have seen a 1987 hymer 4 berth 4 sale with a 72000 mile mercedes 2.5 ltr deisel engine well looked after but i think engine seems small any advice welcome thanks

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
hi im new to motor homes we r looking for our first one on a tight budget i have seen a 1987 hymer 4 berth 4 sale with a 72000 mile mercedes 2 ltr deisel engine well looked after but i think engine seems small any advice welcome thanks

it's not Wat any one thinks it's Wat you think if it is Wat you want motor homes are not fast you are on a casually holidays having fun on the way i only have 1.9 1985 ducato it dose the job:thumb:

and you will love it any motor home is better than no motor home::bigsmile:
and old hymers rock Thar the better made ones
any way wellkome to the fun:welcomefunster:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
its a merc, how can it be too small:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: mine is a 2.1ltr on a 23ft "A" classweighing in at 4 tons and goes like sh1t off a shovel up hills and towing. Admittedly the older ones are slower bt they are reliable an good for 500 to 1 million miles if looked after. If you like it go for it they are a quality bit of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
our first motorhome was a 1994 Hymer on a Fiat 2.5 diesel engine. Had no problems, travelled all over Europe and never missed a beat and was fully loaded!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi Welcome, i'd be more concerned does the layout suit you than the engine size..... oh and the pay load... oh and max gross weight dependent on your license and age.:thumb:

Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi and welcome. We bought an 1984 Hymer with the 2.5 Merc diesel last year, primarily to tow my sons racecar to the local track and be able to stay the weekend. Bought it off ebay and it was accurately described as' leisurely progress'! Thought we had done our homework well as layout was great, bodywork was ok and loved the classic charm of it.

Our problem was we hadn't done our homework well enough, and when you look into it, this Merc engine only has 65 BHP. Felt it would drive round the world without problem but I don't think I would live that long! Would do 55mph but you had to be 3 feet from the tail of a 40 foot artic with him clearing the wind for you.

Looked at fitting the 2.9 engine but just to much hassle and wouldn't get the money out of it when we came to sell it. Sold it cheap and bought a 1987 Hymer with the turbo diesel Fiat engine and haven't looked back. Took it to the Goodwood Revival in September and did nearly 1000 miles at 60 to 70 and never missed a beat.

My advice would be great old buses if you are happy to go 'steady' but take it for a drive first if you can, and be happy with its performance (strange word to use when talking about a motorhome!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a 1993 hymer B694 with a 2.5 TD fiat engine quite happy on the motorway at a steady 60.

Unfortunately it's going on ebay in the next couple of days as my wife is finding motorhoming hard work due to her illness.

Not too happy at having to sell it, just coming into its prime, will be 20 years old in april.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Feel much better if you ensure it is fitted with turbo diesel engine 2.5, this is enough to see you on your way. old Hymer builds are good quality

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back