how long file transfer (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
How long should it take to transfer video files from a memory card to my laptop, probably got around 29gb on the card, laptop is a new windows 11 asus vivobook with 4gb of ram and 1tb of storage, I am going to try a bit of video editing of our crosstour footage from our recent trip but its all a bit much for my very limited skill

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Is the 1TB storage on the laptop an SSD or a mechanical drive. If it's a mechanical one, there may be fragmented files scattered over the disk, meaning the system has to fill gaps between other files with the new video files.
Also, is anything else running on the laptop whilst the copy is working? eg. WIndows is downloading and installing updates in the background?

OP
OP
chatteris
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Is the 1TB storage on the laptop an SSD or a mechanical drive. If it's a mechanical one, there may be fragmented files scattered over the disk, meaning the system has to fill gaps between other files with the new video files.
Also, is anything else running on the laptop whilst the copy is working? eg. WIndows is downloading and installing updates in the background?
its a brand new laptop with mechanical hardrive i think, dont know if its downloading updates, it could be, and internet is not great will see when i transfer the next one thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
At a guess it's win 11 updating itself first
But that’s over the wifi.
The memory card is connected directly,
Tho, if the laptop is quite a low spec the Windows updates could be a resource hog.

The OP can start the Win11 task manager and there you can find the resource hog. 🤞

Apr 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
DethleffGlobetrotter
Exp
Started in 2005, then took a 15 year break, back in 2022
Plus, often your virus scanner (if you have one) might well be scanning the memory card at the same time. Most virus scanning software does this when you insert a memory card. Copy performance would then be very poor in that case.

Cheers,

Steve

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
How long should it take to transfer video files from a memory card to my laptop, probably got around 29gb on the card, laptop is a new windows 11 asus vivobook with 4gb of ram and 1tb of storage, I am going to try a bit of video editing of our crosstour footage from our recent trip but its all a bit much for my very limited skill
I download video files and put them on sandisk memory sticks 🤔 and I would say roughly 30 minutes for that size file. Our lap top is about 5 years old though 👍

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
are brand new windows laptops fitted with mech drives these days, I thought they were all SSD

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back