How do you get a pet passport to travel to the EU (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
I'm trying to understand how you get a pet? Friend wants to come in van with me abroad with dog.
Thank you

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There’s a lot of info on the forum about this. However , to take a dog into the eu it needs a rabies jab and 21 days period before entering the eu if it’s its first rabies jab. That needs to be documented on an AHC by a certified uk vet no more than 10 days before travel.
The dog must then be wormed by a vet and recorded on the Ahc no more than 5 days and no lass than 1 day (24 hrs) prior to arrival back in the uk.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The pet needs to have a microchip, vaccinations up to date and Rabies Vaccine 21 days prior to travel and then an animal health certificate (AHC) from a UK vet.
Once in the EU you can get an EU PP for the pet from an EU vet. Most are prepared to transfer the Rabies information over. But from by all accounts French vets don't seem able to issue a PP unless you have a French address. German and Belgium vets don't seem to have the same restrictions so probably best trying there.
Once you have an EU PP, all entries must be made by an EU vet so it's best to get the 3 year Rabies jab (Nobivac ? I think)
When you have the EU PP, it's not time limited, you just need to keep the rabies vacc up to date

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
I'm very naive about this.
I assumed a pet passport was just that, though one had jabs or whatever.
Can you explain the documentation to take a pet to an EU country.
Is it just as Animal Health certificate?
Thank you for comments so far

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'm very naive about this.
I assumed a pet passport was just that, though one had jabs or whatever.
Can you explain the documentation to take a pet to an EU country.
Is it just as Animal Health certificate?
Thank you for comments so far
It’s exactly as laid out above. Forget the eu pet passport for now you need an Ahc to get in an out of the eu.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It allows the pet entry into any EU country
Post B****t, the AHC does the same thing but is only valid for 4 months, so has to be renewed each time
Most people travelling frequently get an EU PP whilst over there

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've replied to your message so hopefully you'll be a bit more genned up on it now! I didn't realise it was just for a 'one off' for your friend so if he/she is only intending to go once then it might not be worth bothering with a PP.

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Thank you Mel,
I've not been to EU in van since 2015, clearly a lot will have changed. The intention is to go a few times so a PP will be the long-term answer.

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
Hi
Can anybody recommend a vet who does EU Pet Passports in Lancashire and prices please.I Live in Blackpool.

Gill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi
Can anybody recommend a vet who does EU Pet Passports in Lancashire and prices please.I Live in Blackpool.

Gill
You won't get one in the UK as only a vet in the EU can do an EU pet passport, you'll need to get a UK Animal Health Certificate (AHC) done first at a cost of £99+ and a rabies jab, then get an EU pet passport when in the EU.

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
Sorry it’s a AHC that I’m after my local vet does not issue these and when I have phoned around the local vets they only issue them to people who are registered with them.I did managed to speak to one vet they were asking £210.00 to issue one.If anybody can help in the Lancashire area I would be grateful.

Gill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Depends which ferry you are getting vets at Portsmouth and Folkestone do them for £99 booked on line and collected en route

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Thank you Mel,
I've not been to EU in van since 2015, clearly a lot will have changed. The intention is to go a few times so a PP will be the long-term answer.
Also depends how often you go. Some rabies jabs only last a year. So you would need to go every year to keep passport up to date.

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Our Spanish vet offered to do our dog last week but said was only allowed to give one year rabies jab to start then two year boosters after
Dennis

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our Spanish vet offered to do our dog last week but said was only allowed to give one year rabies jab to start then two year boosters after
Dennis
Why do you have to wait for Dennis to be done in 2 years time? :LOL:

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
We’re sailing from Portsmouth sailing Boxing Day.Traveling down from up north Christmas day not sure the pets will be open over the Christmas period.I would like to do it at least 7 days before our sailing to be on the safe side.Dog already had rabies jab only need AHC certificate.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We’re sailing from Portsmouth sailing Boxing Day.Traveling down from up north Christmas day not sure the pets will be open over the Christmas period.I would like to do it at least 7 days before our sailing to be on the safe side.Dog already had rabies jab only need AHC certificate.
I'd suggest you ring around vets in Lancs, there's sure to be someone that will do them, but probably not for the 90 pound the vets in Kent charge. They seem to have mastered the art of doing them production line style. Most other vets complain about the hundred pages of paperwork taking five hours to complete 🤷‍♂️

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Dennis
Yes we had that problem with a Spanish vet. Not sure if it was the particular vet or if it's a general Spanish thing. Anyway we got it renewed this year with a German vet who gave us a 3 year jab at a lower price

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you.
So out of curiosity, what does the pet passport do?
Without a PP every time you want to go abroad you need to get another AHC from a British vet and they can cost up to £200 a go. With a PP, you don't need an AHC as the European PP allows your dog entry to the EU without it. Whether you have a PP or an AHC you will still need to get the dog checked before entry back into the UK by an EU vet (no more than 5 days before and at least 24 hours before arriving at the ferry port). And when you get to the ferry port or Eurotunnel terminal you will have to evidence this before they'll let you board. It's a simple process but you need to allow say another 15 minutes for it to be done.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.