How do I suspend/put on hold my existing Popit SIM? (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
As per title, does anyone know how I can suspend my Popit SIM, please?

I currently have a Popit 100Gb Calls, Texts, and Data SIM costing £25 pcm.

I’m sure that I read somewhere that I can suspend the Popit SIM for a rolling £1 per month, and that this will keep the SIM ‘alive‘ for future use.
It would also be helpful to know:
a) How long I can keep the SIM in suspended mode;
b) What is the process to reactivate the SIM to full use.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 👍

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I’m sure that I read somewhere that I can suspend the Popit SIM for a rolling £1 per month, and that this will keep the SIM ‘alive‘ for future use.

Thanks in advance. 👍
If you have the app, go to my sims packages and settings, and then just click on “place on hold” or you could drop it to a smaller package.

IMG_2135.png

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
If you have the app, go to my sims packages and settings, and then just click on “place on hold” or you could drop it to a smaller package.

View attachment 805089
This, but .... if your 'Roaming Compliance' is not at 100%, you won't see the Pause option in the tariff list.

Customer service have done it for others in the past, apparently, but I got an email telling me to use sufficient data in the UK to get to 100%.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
This is a hell of a lurk for Popit. Unless you use the sim in the UK enough to get your roaming ratio back to 100% they wont let you cancel the sim. You can't remove your payment method, so you're stuck paying for it forever!

In my case I activated it in France, used it there and Spain for 2.5 months, then for a few days in the UK. My roaming ratio is 88%. I then flew back home to Australia. I can't put it on hold or cancel it as I don't have 100% roaming ratio.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Tried cancelling my popit sim today.
Customer services tell me i cant cancel or park it because my roaming compliance is not 100%. Asked how much data i need to use to get it to 100%, answer was they dont know, it's based on UK phone statistics.

Their site states under roaming “ *Our Service is not to be used as a Sole Roaming only service” . I used data in the UK before i left so as far as i am concerned i comply with the above. Cant use any more UK data this billing period as i am still in EU. Looks like ill have to use it another full month when i get home.

The sim has worked really well so no complaints on that front.

Waiting for the next email from them.

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Tried cancelling my popit sim today.
Customer services tell me i cant cancel or park it because my roaming compliance is not 100%. Asked how much data i need to use to get it to 100%, answer was they dont know, it's based on UK phone statistics.

Their site states under roaming “ *Our Service is not to be used as a Sole Roaming only service” . I used data in the UK before i left so as far as i am concerned i comply with the above. Cant use any more UK data this billing period as i am still in EU. Looks like ill have to use it another full month when i get home.

The sim has worked really well so no complaints on that front.

Waiting for the next email from them.
That’s good info, thanks.
I was lucky in that I got the Popit SIM to use as my main internet service with a view to maybe using it in the EU at some point. At this time, I have only ever used it in the UK. Consequently, my roaming compliance was at 100% and I was able to access the park facility.
(I am now using an RWG phone SIM as my main internet service at home. £20 per month for 200Gb with RWG. £25 per month for 100Gb with Popit. Reports on here suggest that the RWG phone SIM will work in France, Spain and Portugal, so that’ll do me. 😎)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
That’s good info, thanks.
I was lucky in that I got the Popit SIM to use as my main internet service with a view to maybe using it in the EU at some point. At this time, I have only ever used it in the UK. Consequently, my roaming compliance was at 100% and I was able to access the park facility.
(I am now using an RWG phone SIM as my main internet service at home. £20 per month for 200Gb with RWG. £25 per month for 100Gb with Popit. Reports on here suggest that the RWG phone SIM will work in France, Spain and Portugal, so that’ll do me. 😎)
I was at 100% until a week ago. Since dropped to 47% whatever that means, even Popit employees dont seem to know.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
So having sent and received numerous emails to their customer services, I am still no wiser what the roaming compliance % is.
Customer services cannot/ wont tell me how much data i need to use in UK to get my compliance to 100%. Their answer was “Please continue to use the SIM in the UK until your score reaches 100%.”

Whilst the service has been very good in Germany, Austria & Italy, the conditions of use for roaming are very ambiguous. Suggest anyone thinking of using Popit for roaming does a bit more research other than just looking at the info on their website.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
So having sent and received numerous emails to their customer services, I am still no wiser what the roaming compliance % is.
Customer services cannot/ wont tell me how much data i need to use in UK to get my compliance to 100%. Their answer was “Please continue to use the SIM in the UK until your score reaches 100%.”

Whilst the service has been very good in Germany, Austria & Italy, the conditions of use for roaming are very ambiguous. Suggest anyone thinking of using Popit for roaming does a bit more research other than just looking at the info on their website.
When I queried this I think they told me 5gb in the UK to reach roaming compliance and suggested I hooked up to it and downloaded a couple of films??

Away in Europe and using it now, so I will be interested to see if my 100% compliance drops back again! My intention is to try and park it when I return to the UK next month.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
When I queried this I think they told me 5gb in the UK to reach roaming compliance and suggested I hooked up to it and downloaded a couple of films??

Away in Europe and using it now, so I will be interested to see if my 100% compliance drops back again! My intention is to try and park it when I return to the UK next month.
At least you got a number to work with. 😀

Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
They gave me the impression it was based on time, not data. Possibly equal time in the UK as out of it. I did more than 5Gb when I got back to the Uk. They were quite rude and said it’s not meant for ‘Sole Roaming’. I’ve not heard that term and they didn’t explain it (maybe it’s commonly used in the UK?), but assume they mean solely for roaming. Support person could barely write an English sentence. It was hard going trying to understand them.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
So go home yesterday and watched a few films via the router, probably used 5GB of data. My compliance is now back to 100%. Can only assume that you need to use data either side of a trip overseas.

Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
I have no idea how they work it out and it's definitely not explained on the site or in the T&C's.

I thought I had beat them by cancelling my credit card and getting a fresh one, but they charged me again today on the new card, despite my being back in Australia and not even having the sim. I've changed my card again and lodged a dispute with the card company (don't know why they didn't do that the first time).

It says I'm now 100% compliant on the sites 'My Popit' even though I haven't been in the UK any longer than last time, but I still can't cancel it (despite it saying I should be able to on the Cancellation options section).

It would seem my only options are keep paying the rest of my life, or (if I can find the sim) come back and spend an indefinite term in the UK in winter.

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
So go home yesterday and watched a few films via the router, probably used 5GB of data. My compliance is now back to 100%. Can only assume that you need to use data either side of a trip overseas.
That’s good to know, thanks. 👍

Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Can you see a cancel option on your My Popit page?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Maybe try the chat I find out why.

Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner 😊
I ordered a popit sim for our recent trip to France. I activated it in UK and used it for 5 days prior to entering France. Then used for 6 weeks, 100% compliance and I cancelled it almost as soon as we returned to UK without issue. It was the 100gb plan, not sure if that makes a difference?

Dec 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
I was on the 100gb plan too. I reckon it’s your times, though not too different to mine - which were 10 weeks France, then 5 days UK. For the last month I changed from the £25/100Gb plan to the £13 one. Now I’ve paid for another month and still can't cancel it (but it does look like I can put it on hold at £1 per month. However my understanding is that can only be done for 6 months. I need 8 months before I get back.

The annoying thing is not that it works this way. It's that it's not explained - anywhere. If I'd known I would have used it in the UK for 1.5 months before I went to France instead of Smarty.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No

Thanks in advance. 👍

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
f the conditions is that any data used for roaming must be equal to UK use, then you can suspend it.

OP
OP
F
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
f the conditions is that any data used for roaming must be equal to UK use, then you can suspend it.
Thanks for this additional info. 👍

As per post #8, I managed to suspend my account to £1 per month without difficulty, because I have only ever used Popit in the UK up until now. I had been using Popit for my main internet service but have now switched to an RWG phone sim. (At 200 Gb I’m getting twice the data for less money.)

Both can be used in the EU, I believe, although I’m aware that RWG has recently restricted EU use to 100 Gb.
If 100 Gb turns out to not be enough in the EU, then I can restart my full Popit service to give me another 100 Gb, although I’m hoping that I won’t need to and this is only a fail-safe option for me.
(If I do restart the Popit, then, obviously, on returning back to the UK, I would then need to run up more Popit data usage in the UK before I would be able to put it back on hold.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back