DIY Vehicle Security Innovations (1 Viewer)

koala53

Free Member
Apr 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
After an attempt to steal my motorhome, by copying the electric key system to get into the vehicle, the buggers simply used an angle grinder to cut the steering wheel and remove the steering lock. What probably stopped them taking the vehicle, was my home made security precautions, which involved a very loud, but small anti-rape device which was triggered off by them moving in the vehicle, in a specific area.

Many types of these units are available on-line, and I now have several located around my vehicle, which I set into alarm mode when I leave the vehicle. With a bit of creative thinking, and the evening beer or two, I've come up with several other anti theft systems which are not able to be defeated by these buggers. One of them is an after market windscreen washing kit, installed in the cabin and the nozzles pointing at the drivers seat and the entry door. The battery operated pump squirts 'water', quite a lot of it actually, when the unit is triggered. These units can be triggered by trip wire type pulling motions, such as being on the inside of doors, so when the door is opened, it goes into alarm, or by simple switches or pressure pads under the carpets.

I have filled the units with paint (Pink), and some very smelly stuff which isn't nice to have squirted in face or on clothes. Do NOT use anything like acids or liquid glues, things like that just make a heck of a mess to clean up after the sods have gone.

There are some small plastic bottles, containing bright paint and bent nails, placed infront and behind my tyres. If the vehicle is moved, the tyres are automatically punctured and the whole area covered with paint. Just for a bit of fun, I've acquired several types of war gaming smoke bombs and installed them in, under and above the vehicle, operated by methods which cannot be duplicated and are not electrically based, batteries don't count.

Also, I have found and installed several FIREBALL self operating fire extinguishing units. Look them up online, they are fantastic. One is beside my stove, several above the engine and more spread around the gas locker and storage areas. I suggest each of us go for a wander and discover our own things to work with, preventing damage to-or theft of our vehicles and property. Don't forget those small window mounted tilt or glass break detectors, they are easy to install and don't need much maintenance. You can always come up with your own items and try them out for effect-non lethal types please. I also have some very loud truck type airhorns hidden somewhere not easy to get to. These are powered by a small 12 volt science type battery or a motorscooter sort and if operated, sounds that horn for quite a long time. There are some very small but effective units that fog an entire house or vehicle and is designed to kill fleas, ants and other small virmin type critters. NO, I have tried one of those to see what it's like, but even in the open air, it's a horrible thing to experience and probably would leave a nasty residue even if operated accidentally.

I have informed various insurance agents and insurance companies of these precautions and how they work, though not surprisingly, they don't want to know and don't seem to care. Same for the caravaning and motorhome clubs etc. No discount is given for having fire extinguishers in the vehicle and this is disgusting considering even a small fire will damage and contaminate everything inside a vehicle. Stay safe and stay alert. Spencer 24042024

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
After an attempt to steal my motorhome, by copying the electric key system to get into the vehicle, the buggers simply used an angle grinder to cut the steering wheel and remove the steering lock. What probably stopped them taking the vehicle, was my home made security precautions, which involved a very loud, but small anti-rape device which was triggered off by them moving in the vehicle, in a specific area.

Many types of these units are available on-line, and I now have several located around my vehicle, which I set into alarm mode when I leave the vehicle. With a bit of creative thinking, and the evening beer or two, I've come up with several other anti theft systems which are not able to be defeated by these buggers. One of them is an after market windscreen washing kit, installed in the cabin and the nozzles pointing at the drivers seat and the entry door. The battery operated pump squirts 'water', quite a lot of it actually, when the unit is triggered. These units can be triggered by trip wire type pulling motions, such as being on the inside of doors, so when the door is opened, it goes into alarm, or by simple switches or pressure pads under the carpets.

I have filled the units with paint (Pink), and some very smelly stuff which isn't nice to have squirted in face or on clothes. Do NOT use anything like acids or liquid glues, things like that just make a heck of a mess to clean up after the sods have gone.

There are some small plastic bottles, containing bright paint and bent nails, placed infront and behind my tyres. If the vehicle is moved, the tyres are automatically punctured and the whole area covered with paint. Just for a bit of fun, I've acquired several types of war gaming smoke bombs and installed them in, under and above the vehicle, operated by methods which cannot be duplicated and are not electrically based, batteries don't count.

Also, I have found and installed several FIREBALL self operating fire extinguishing units. Look them up online, they are fantastic. One is beside my stove, several above the engine and more spread around the gas locker and storage areas. I suggest each of us go for a wander and discover our own things to work with, preventing damage to-or theft of our vehicles and property. Don't forget those small window mounted tilt or glass break detectors, they are easy to install and don't need much maintenance. You can always come up with your own items and try them out for effect-non lethal types please. I also have some very loud truck type airhorns hidden somewhere not easy to get to. These are powered by a small 12 volt science type battery or a motorscooter sort and if operated, sounds that horn for quite a long time. There are some very small but effective units that fog an entire house or vehicle and is designed to kill fleas, ants and other small virmin type critters. NO, I have tried one of those to see what it's like, but even in the open air, it's a horrible thing to experience and probably would leave a nasty residue even if operated accidentally.

I have informed various insurance agents and insurance companies of these precautions and how they work, though not surprisingly, they don't want to know and don't seem to care. Same for the caravaning and motorhome clubs etc. No discount is given for having fire extinguishers in the vehicle and this is disgusting considering even a small fire will damage and contaminate everything inside a vehicle. Stay safe and stay alert. Spencer 24042024
Blimey, that could all go horribly wrong if one of those goes off accidentally šŸ¤£

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Gosh...... just let them have it and start again with insurance money šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Mainly in the Uk.Many only have t,p,f&T
Blimey, that could all go horribly wrong if one of those goes off accidentally šŸ¤£
No different to the Verisure home systems that have a couple of smoke or gas generators that are set off remotely from the company control centre.

w2f

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

I take it after all your kit goes off and forces the scrotes out of your van, you will just hose the whole lot out the door and then sell the van for scrap !
šŸ˜ˆšŸ˜ˆšŸ˜ˆšŸ˜ˆ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and welcome

considering even a small fire will damage and contaminate everything inside a vehicle
You have very creative mind!

Letā€™s be honest here your security improvements!!
šŸ¤­
Are going to do a similar amount of damage to your vehicle,

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Seems to be a discrepancy in what your telling us about your almost stolen motorhome.
Just had a look at your profile.

Screenshot_20240424-195120.png

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Overactive imagination or not.

Or too much wacky baccy

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Mainly in the Uk.Many only have t,p,f&T
Well I find that hard to believe that moho owners would only have Third Party Fire and Theft insurance....
Surely but surely cannot be true...
Any funsters prepared to admit they only have Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance...

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I 43 years ago would as it was cheap, the cars I ran were cheap.
Today never expect to claim on any insurance.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well I find that hard to believe that moho owners would only have Third Party Fire and Theft insurance....
Surely but surely cannot be true...
Any funsters prepared to admit they only have Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance...
On my last vehicle , a coach built 4 berth, sadly I could only get third party the first year. I managed to change it for the second year to T,P,F&T which I then had until I sold it in 2019 ,5 years. & travelled over 100k with it.
Here in spain if you purchase a vehicle over 10 years old normally , (sometimes 12) then t,p,f & t is all that will be offered, If you have full comp from new then you can continue with it for ever. BUT you cannot change companies after 10 or 12 years as only TP or TPF&T will be offered, as it was to me recently when I looked at changing.
Can you still buy it?
yes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
which involved a very loud, but small anti-rape device which was triggered off by them moving in the vehicle, in a specific area.
So despite being deafened by several "very loud" rape alarms and truck horns they still cut through the wheel to remove the disc lock.
I'm surprised you didn't hear any of these.

I'm sorry, but too many episodes of jackernory spring to mind.

OP
OP
K

koala53

Free Member
Apr 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
For those who have a lack of common sense, I don't set the alarms when I'm in my vehicle, they aren't necessary as I have some sharp objects which are very silent. Both the internal and external systems are for use when I'm not in or around the vehicle. Taking the dog for a walk or shopping comes to mind, but there again, it depends on where I am and how long I'm expecting to be away. 25042024 1904

OP
OP
K

koala53

Free Member
Apr 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I'll be round after dark to disarm all these gadgets you just explained and their locations. :doh:
You got lost? Tonight is fine with me--I'll have my utube camera ready to record the event. First aid is free for the minor injuries

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Can you tell us what sort of Motorhome you have fitted all these devices into ? Maybe someone with the same model would be interested in fitting identical equipment.

OP
OP
K

koala53

Free Member
Apr 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Good morning people. If anyone is interested, how about making it possible for anyone who is mobile, a motor homer, caravan type or just those to travel a lot, be equipped with some of this ANPR and recognition kit. The Police and Local councils have this stuff to monitor and control, anyone with a vehicle, and we pay for that in our taxes. Just like a dash camera, if we normal and regular travellers have this equipment, then we can tour anywhere and be automatically on the look out for stolen vehicles of any type. We don't need the bits of programming that tell us if a vehicle has an up to date MOT, INSURANCE or anything else, what we need to know is if the vehicle is reported as stolen or subject to an urgent enquiry. If we have such units, then they can report automatically to the proper authorities, hopefully the police, where it is and whether it's moving or abandoned.

Those units we are encouraged to install by insurance companies, are just trackers and can be defeated. If we have such a unit as I'm describing, that also can probably be defeated, but not quickly or completely. It can't be a surprise that we need to look after our own interests, regardless of whatever authority might want to say or do, so we'll get on and do it, our way.

If nasty type want to ride around on motor scooters and snatch mobile phones off people in the street, we can do our share to stop that sort of thing as well. We have those who cut down poles with speed cameras, low emition zone cameras and other detector devices. When are we going to get those AI and automatic detectors which measure how much noise a vehicle makes going past, or those that give out minor amounts of CO2 which might be just above any legal limit. Facial Recognition is already out and about on our streets, who does that report to. If we are out of the country, how long will it be until some one comes up with a system to track and report on our movements, such that an unpaid parking fine, awarded by a company, not an authority, results in immediate trouble when returned to this country.

Rant over for the moment, time for more tea and a sticky bun. Martin 28042024 1101

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back