Hobby 750 series. Your experience please. (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter boygeorge & nikki
  • Start date

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
20171214_191139.jpg
20180505_105213.jpg
I purchased my 2000/01 Hobby 750 last December and have had a brilliant time in it so far this year. I paid top money but the previous owner who only had it few months did a lot of work to it so he could tour Europe and live off grid but this didn't happen for him so he sold it. 3x 100 watt solar panels, 2 x invertors, new charging system, blue solar, led lighting, new sat dish and seeker system (Which i dont know how to use)! etc etc. I have discovered a leak under the shower tray and had to replace the floor underneath and also the floor under the boiler was rotted but dry and couldnt find a leak. Also under the sofa where the water pump is and inboard water filler there was rot in the corner underneath. But I love the van, the way it drives and looks.... even managed 35mpg at 55mph on the motorway:)

Last edited:

El ETO

Free Member
Nov 5, 2018
Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Ooh, very nice 750 Peter! Looks fabulous. Yes, my water pump leaked as well, the housing was knackered so Phil at Rhino bless him had a rummage around his parts and put in a new one for me. I have a feeling the wood under the boiler will also be a bit worse for wear, no idea how long it's been going on. Always jobs to do on these things.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We love ours, uprated to 5250kgs to fulltime and it's brilliant.

image.jpeg

El ETO

Free Member
Nov 5, 2018
Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Another nice looking 750 Paul. Have you driven it in the snow? I’d like to get one of those ladder guards like you have, can I ask you where you got yours from?

Peter Waller

Free Member
Oct 17, 2018
Weston Super Mare
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 fsme
Exp
1 year
The great Hobby 750 thread lives on! We can help each other if we post our problems as they arise and how we fixed them:) As for my boiler when I took it out i found the heat and possibly water had distorted the floor and I do not think there is enough air space for the boiler to breathe when blown air heating is on so I always run my heating now with the cuboard doors open. I replaced the floor inside the van where the boiler sits and found some rot I couldn't get too so I painted it with underseal and then underneath the van where the boiler sits I coated the underside with rubber mastic paint that is flexible but fills gaps and is waterproof, isoflex liquid rubber. Did the same underneath the van where the panels where showing signs of rot ie under shower area and waterfiller area and replaced wood where i could but not always possible because the floor sits on the alko chassis., hence the coating of isoflex. Also this is my first experience of owning a motorhome and carrying out repairs so its a learning process:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

El ETO

Free Member
Nov 5, 2018
Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
You're right Peter. Not much internet info on these older 750's, even the 230X Fiat chassis info is very sparse.

When I get home in a few weeks, the plan is to quickly remove the shelves in the lower bar unit and get to the boiler, I'll send you the nasties when I see how bad it is. I've read there is a non return valve or something to do with the over flow pipe. This it's a T junction that deteriorates and someone in another blog mentioned that replaced there's and all was OK and I've noticed mine drips only when it's hot. Of course Truma probably don't make the parts anymore, I'm sure I'll end up having to improvise.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Another nice looking 750 Paul. Have you driven it in the snow? I’d like to get one of those ladder guards like you have, can I ask you where you got yours from?
Before we left for Spain Dec 17 I got stuck twice on the tiniest slope you can imagine! We were in full up winter mode @5250kgs and there was about an inch of snow and I had to be towed on both occasions :(
Since then I've decided to spend winter where there's no snow :LOL: the above picture was taken last May on our way home up in the Pyrenees mountains.
The ladder cover was made by a friend of ours when we lived on his farm. He was the one who did the towing. (y)

image.jpeg

I've also got some trick led strips in too from Aten lighting.

image.jpeg

And outside too.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Plus 300watts of solar.

image.jpeg

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just wondering - are there any Hobby 750s out there with Alde heating? My 750 was a stock van so I didn’t look into possible options but have never seen any with Alde.

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
As I really like the 750 series
If any of you guys are still on fun would you like to comment again
3 years on
Well, six years on from your post, I have a Hobby 2001 750 and can't think what I'd change it for.

It's the right size (if you like a tag axle) It's low profile so handles better. It's got excellent fixtures and fittings (basic, but always work) and it's a dream to drive.

I'm yet to find a 'van that compares to the old Hobby.

....And I don't need a champagne glass holder cupboard.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Lots on this thread about 750’s... I’m browsing a 700, it’s a bit shorter I believe..?

Any info on the 700 appreciated...👍🏼

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it’s a tag axle Garry it a 750 but says 700 on it (don’t ask) there’s three layouts I believe, ours low twins, the one your looking at, high twins and a rear double.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hiya i had the pleasure of owning a Hobby 650 V plate left hooker, buildwise i dont think you could buy a better van, the only problems i had in 3 years were, they tend to eat rear shock absorber bushes, also everyone seemed to have paintwork problems, on both 650 & 750 models, where the blue paint blisters on the lower 2ft between the front & rear axles along its entire length, it does not seem to penertrate down to the alloy just the top blue coat problem not sticking to the white base coat. Did notice that this was still a problem on some 2007 models & i would recommend getting it remapped costs about £250 it makes a world of difference
mick
Is this remap on the 2.8 jtd engine ?
Phil

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Robseeker

Free Member
Dec 9, 2020
Margate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB
Exp
Since 1998
I hope so, just bought our first one. 2001, 40-odd thousand documented miles. Runs great, have kitted it out for long term off grid, previous owner left it bare bones which is a good thing since all the stuff I wanted onboard is now brand new.

Problems so far and extras added since purchasing last month - Small leak with the Truma boiler (I need to investigate) although it works very well as does the heating, replaced the fresh water supply pump in the loo (yuk!), added habitation AC, 350W of solar, tracker, gas alarm, heavy duty door locks on all doors, bike rack, reversing camera, sat nav, 3 new Fiamma vents (only ones we could find that fit), dual tank gas low system and a new starter motor (original packed up first drive home through France...). Also have lots of bits and pieces to fiddle with due to age, looks like the previous owner just lost interest.

Ignition only getting 5V on half the circuit (also measured a few side lights only getting 5V) but this instantly followed the starter motor and solenoid grenade-ing themselves so after much head scratching and swearing, think I've traced it back to a dodgy Relay but had to return to work before further investigation. Also cab fan blower not working but have ordered a new resistor, seems to be a common fault on the Fiat chassis and is not a reflection on the Hobby brand.

All-in-all it's a very solid motorhome small jobs not withstanding but this is down to age, previous owner and slightly iffy dealer (don't ask). Picked it up outside Gatwick after purchase, immediately headed north to Preston, 2 days in Preston at Rhino installs (can't recommend them enough!), back down to Dover than grabbed the ferry to come home to Gibraltar, only stopping outside Cognac for a day for the Solar install. Well that and the day lost because of the starter motor. Over 3000 kilometres in a week and she drove brilliantly. Considering the van is now 17 years old, I'm super impresses at how well everything still fits, still works and the price was a snip; About half what some people are asking for similar aged Hymer tag axels with an identical layout.

Speaking of price, I've found anything over 3500Kgs and 6 meters seems to scare off three quarters of the population which means if you have the C1 or "Grandad Licence" licence, there are some real bargains to be had and I never found the 8 meter length an issue during my first adventure home.

Yes, I've spent a lot on extras for her but after looking around at many others, I've come to the conclusion I would still have been installing all the other aftermarket items anyway. Most motorhomes, especially if they're older ones, the ancilliary items tend to fail or deteriorate enough that they need replacing.

We can't can't wait to start using it more.

Anyway, enough of all that. Yes, I can highly recommend older Hobby Motorhomes.
EL ETO!

Robseeker

Free Member
Dec 9, 2020
Margate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB
Exp
Since 1998
Hi all,

Really great information here. I recently sold my self-converted LWB Transit minibus-camper. Miss it dearly!

But I am now looking for a Hobby 750 circa 2001. Your comments have been invaluable for making a final decision to get this model.

Thank you all!

Rob

P.s. If anyone has one for sale then get in touch.

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
hello, can i set a new record and jump this thread in 2021 please?

My 750 has an alcove birth bed over the lounge - you lower it with the black handset. Following some unrelated repairs earlier this week it is now 'uneven'. One side is lower than the other. It doesnt return to the full ceiling height, which means the lights underneath dont come on. Quite the coincidence. I think one of them pulled down on the bed to lift themselves up maybe?

Either way has anyone had the same problem please? thanks russ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back