Help for TV in Moselle valley and Holland Dish or will my router work well enough? (1 Viewer)

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Hi,

Having not gone to EU for a few years now due to elderly dog and covid, we are now going for 8 weeks in mid April.

We go to Ypres for a few days followed by a couple of weeks in Holland before heading to our favourite stelplatz in Piesport on the Moselle.

Previously we has a crank up satellite dish and reception was ok in most places but it was a bit of a pain to setup.

We have a new van and I don’t really want to install a sat dish for just a few weeks on the continent.

We have a “roam” router and aerial which works reasonably well in the uk.

Could anyone advise from personal experience if the Popit sim or similar would be a good option? Is phone signal good enough in general in these areas?

We previously had THREE contracts and our mobile reception and signal used to be very patchy but that was a few years ago and my experience is that THREE aren’t the best even here in the UK.

Sorry for the long post can someone help please?

Also will I need a VPN to get British streaming on the continent?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Went all along the Mossele last year without any issues, we have a Netgear M2 and stream Netflix in 4K most of the time.

Very rarely have we not pulled a signal in Europe, even good in little remote villages.

Had a few days where we could not get a signal but cannot remember where, think it was in Belgium somewhere.

We are with EE but they use Vodaphone a lot in Europe.

Have all the terrestrial apps on the TV and they stream fine with our setup.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have always found Germany/France superb for mobile signal on Vodafone, the only place we struggled was in Reil on the Moselle.

If you have a uk simcard, you will not need a VPN.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Just been to Belgium.... Satellite was brill...even in centre of Kortrijk in the aire.....but we only went as East as Zottegem this time. As for data...the giff gaff sim I had there was shocking....well rubbish. The EE sim in my phone was faultless but I've a big roaming allowance in the contract . I've dumped Giff Gaff since back and gone to Popit... how long they will keep the data volume at current levels remains to be seen....lol....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We are lucky enough to have inherited a built in automatic satellite system when we bought our MH, and whilst it remains serviceable and in good working order, it's staying. (y) However wuzzlewood, I do understand the wish not to have to faff about with a manual system. :(

When we were in the Mosel Valey in September, we were on Vodaphone mobile signal and using a Firestick for the odd occasions we were surrounded by trees, ie, no satellite signal. The mobile reception was great, and mostly faultless wherever we went.

On this 3 x month trip to Spain & Portugal, we are using the Popit 100Gb sim card at £25 a month. Only twice have I had to manually change to a different provider, and we are able to stream UK TV wherever we have been south of Teruel, which is where we had our last satellite signal back in early January.

Popit have announced that they are introducing a 150Gb sim card, to include VOLTE and wireless calling.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back