I am considering getting an Andrew James 12 litre Halogen Oven !:Blush:

Any one got one and if so are they a good item to have in a motor home !:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
halogen ovens

Definitely not, you need welders goggles on when they come on, nothing will replace your standard gas oven for inside cooking, the different themes in BBQ`s are the way to go for outside cooking, The Cobb has a very good pedigree as do the Cadac gas BBQ`s.

Honestly don`t bother with the Halogen, we have one tried it for various recipies and it`s now in the box never to be used again.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

First class been using one since we got our MH. Yes bright when the halogen comes on, but cooking is better than an oven and cheaper. We cook everything from whole chicken to cakes.

Only down side is weight.

We have the model your are looking at.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Ive just bought one of these for the van as no room for an oven. Only used it once at home so far and was quite succesfull. Suspect it will take a bit of trial & error! Bit worried about where to puthot lid though as very limited on worktop space in our van......

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
UKbill has bought one recently but not yet used it, and I saw one in operation at Pedro's and was highly recommended, but it's nice to get a bit more feedback !:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I have a 7ltr one, plenty big enough for 2 people, it stores in the gas oven and has a wire rack included that you can stand the hot lid on end on:thumb:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We aquired a little electric grill type oven made by Tristar when we got our van, it's ideal for a couple and fits away easy into lockers. Wouldn't be without it now.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I used our one for the first time this weekend and was very happy with the results:thumb: crispy duck delicious:thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF4545.jpg
    DSCF4545.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF4547.jpg
    DSCF4547.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 70

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have got on very well with ours, been using it for a couple of years. Have cooked all sorts in it from the Xmas dinner to cakes. But yes, it is very bright when on, you suddenly wonder what's blown when it switches off and you are plunged into the gloom! :roflmto:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Great piece of Kit
Looks like a Fire In Blackpool when its working but results great and with a small improvised shield no glare problem:Smile:::bigsmile:

Roger & Sheila
:Smile::Smile:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Love it would not be without it. No oven in the van so does the job perfectly :)) when at home I lift it into the house and use it there. Much more economical than heating my home oven for 1 thing !!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

We've got a larger size halogen oven for home and hubby loves it as he cooks most of the time - he uses it at least 4 times a week. We do have a smaller 7lt one too for the van which we've had for a few months but as we haven't been away in it, and rarely use sites (and therefore no electric hook up), I'm therefore not sure how much it will get used! :Eeek:

I would question the need for the large one though as a smaller one would be more suitable for use (and to store) in a motorhome and will more than likely do what you need anyway, especially if you get the extension ring to raise the height.:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can it cook fray bentos pies though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I don't have an oven in my van and I am missing pizzas big time now. Can anyone suggest a good device to cook pizzas without fitting a big gas oven?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I did a thread some time ago on the Aldi halogen oven and thought it a great idea for those without an oven in the van. I used it with no problem in the van and thought it a great bit of kit until I found the Kampa Roastmaster oven from Johns Cross. The halogen is now relegated to the house and I use it all the time for both roasting and baking. Would not be without my Roastmaster now though, even cooking my own bread in it. Re Karl, I have a pizza tile that fits in it and that does pizzas perfectly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can it cook fray bentos pies though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I don't have an oven in my van and I am missing pizzas big time now. Can anyone suggest a good device to cook pizzas without fitting a big gas oven?

Yes, a halogen over can be used to cook pizzas and FB pies (though why I'm encouraging you to eat them I don't know! :Doh:). I've also used my double skillet to cook pizzas too which works fine so long as you don't have it on too high a heat otherwise you get a burnt bottom! :Eeek: Halogen ovens also have a 'self clean' function which makes them a doddle to wash up afterwards. :thumb:

One thing to remember when using a halogen oven is that the bowl gets VERY HOT so do NOT put it somewhere near anything that could be affected (ie a bar of chocolate :ROFLMAO:).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been having a think about Gromett wanting an oven of some sort and having looked at the 'outback oven' etc it wouldn't be that difficult to fabricate some sort of oven which, after all, is just a large box/container into which you put items to cook that has a means of keeping the temperature at a constant level and thus needs a temperature gauge and a means to let out excess heat if necessary.

So, something like this used on it's side:

Link Removed

or this

Link Removed

with one of these:

Link Removed

could be used to make a 'home made' version of a hob-top oven .... hmmmmmm.:Smile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
[HI]Can it cook fray bentos pies though[/HI] :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes it can the in-laws have used it for that no problem. We cook pizzas in it all the time ( home made ) but you can cook the pre made frozen in about 7 minutes from frozen.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Last of the big spenders !!

Many thanks for all the input !!
I have just ordered one (7 litres) from Amazon !! Watch this space !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
cooked a 2 kilo chicken in mine and it took 70mins and it was absolutely great 1 of the most moist chickens i have ever tasted this oven is well worth the cash and as for the light being to bright unless some are brighter there is no prob with the light on mine :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
cooked a 2 kilo chicken in mine and it took 70mins and it was absolutely great 1 of the most moist chickens i have ever tasted this oven is well worth the cash and as for the light being to bright unless some are brighter there is no prob with the light on mine :Smile:

... not a moth are you? ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back