Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years
Been to Glasto a few times over years but first time for us in a Motorhome as he hit our mid fifties. Think we are in west campground as wife not up to hill of death as she has a asthma, hay fever etc. Intend to travel down Tues am from Shrewsbury and be in for lunch.
Looking to hear from experienced Glasto motorhomers as to what to do and not to do.

Regards

Carol and Nev:thumb:
Not a great deal to say really the fields are as rest of the site agricultural that can get a bit messy when its wet, youll find youll get positioned by some young students in yellow coats, but use your own initiative regarding spacings and door access ie nearside or offside depending continental or british built. You might need to be quite firm. The site is sloping and they usually position you down the slope rather than across (goodness knows why?) so if youve a longish van biggish ramps will be useful.

Water is via a stand pipe arrangement and wellys will be required even if its an heat wave trust me on this! An aquaroll or as i use a sack truck to transport water will be usefull oh and dont forget a method of transferance of said water into motorhome tank, ive rigged up a whale pump and 12v extension arrangement for this.

Theres no moving the van to service point its all handball so anything you can do to make it easy do it. Think tugger !

Black water is tipped into plastic ibc tanks, and as grey water has no obvious disposal points....guess :Eeek:

Oh there is usually banks of portaloos available, and these usually stay in a relatively acceptable state. The swathes of the unwashed dont make it to the motorhome enclosures,so the area stays quite civilised. :thumb:

We are also travelling tuesday to miss the traffic weds and thurs probably evening arrival, i believe gates to motorhome parks available from midday.

ps we are in west park Funster stickers front and back. :Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Everyone going have a great time, please keep us up dated when you can, on our would like to do list, so any information really helpful. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Not a great deal to say really the fields are as rest of the site agricultural that can get a bit messy when its wet, youll find youll get positioned by some young students in yellow coats, but use your own initiative regarding spacings and door access ie nearside or offside depending continental or british built. You might need to be quite firm. The site is sloping and they usually position you down the slope rather than across (goodness knows why?) so if youve a longish van biggish ramps will be useful.

Water is via a stand pipe arrangement and wellys will be required even if its an heat wave trust me on this! An aquaroll or as i use a sack truck to transport water will be usefull oh and dont forget a method of transferance of said water into motorhome tank, ive rigged up a whale pump and 12v extension arrangement for this.

Theres no moving the van to service point its all handball so anything you can do to make it easy do it. Think tugger !

Black water is tipped into plastic ibc tanks, and as grey water has no obvious disposal points....guess :Eeek:

Oh there is usually banks of portaloos available, and these usually stay in a relatively acceptable state. The swathes of the unwashed dont make it to the motorhome enclosures,so the area stays quite civilised. :thumb:

We are also travelling tuesday to miss the traffic weds and thurs probably evening arrival, i believe gates to motorhome parks available from midday.

ps we are in west park Funster stickers front and back. :Smile:

Sound advice there Albeano. Lovely to know whats in store but sounds an immense improvement on a our normal Glastonbury facilities amongst the 'great unwashed' as you so aptly put it - Regards Nev:thumb:

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Been to Glasto a few times over years but first time for us in a Motorhome as he hit our mid fifties. Think we are in west campground as wife not up to hill of death as she has a asthma, hay fever etc. Intend to travel down Tues am from Shrewsbury and be in for lunch.
Looking to hear from experienced Glasto motorhomers as to what to do and not to do.

Regards

Carol and Nev:thumb:

Tickets just arrived and we are in East and the missus aint happy about scaling the hill of death after 2 litres of rose in the early morning.:cry:

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years
Tickets just arrived and we are in East and the missus aint happy about scaling the hill of death after 2 litres of rose in the early morning.:cry:

Surprised you are in east, did you request that? usually north and west ie travelling via m5 usually are west.

If its a problem you may be able to swap by contacting see tickets i cant see any joy changing at the festival because the security and admissions have a fair number of jumped up jobsworths that cant make a decision or even find someone who can. :Sad:

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years

Just reread this...does she actually go through 2 litres....before breakfast :Eeek:

i couldnt scale the step to the van ::bigsmile:

Have a good festival !

OP
OP
simbadog
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010

If it's any help I'm prepared to drink her share of the wine :winky:
Just been sorting the wine boxes out :Smile:

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Surprised you are in east, did you request that? usually north and west ie travelling via m5 usually are west.

If its a problem you may be able to swap by contacting see tickets i cant see any joy changing at the festival because the security and admissions have a fair number of jumped up jobsworths that cant make a decision or even find someone who can. :Sad:

Yes we did request West but the wife is reconciled and sees some advantages of East so we will go with the flow. It appears to be closer to the action than West.
Regards
Nev

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
If it's any help I'm prepared to drink her share of the wine :winky:
Just been sorting the wine boxes out :Smile:

Very kind but she tends to be quite possessive with alcohol. Incidentally we always found wine boxes tipped into water bottles waa a good way of imbibing at the festival. Have you any techniques you might share:ROFLMAO:?

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
See you in the East campervan fields - we'll be as near the front of the queue as we can get on Tuesday lunchtime. Getting very excited now!

Have just seen the new alcohol policy (no trollies!) - our youngsters (20 somethings...) will be very glad that we can keep a good stock of cans in our van garage! They will just have to brave the Hill of Death to come and collect it to take it back down to their tents .......

To those of you worried about the HOD - it's not too bad - particularly if you do it backwards. The view from the top is awesome! And for newbies, it's worth giving yourself plenty of time each day to get into the festival through pedestrian gate C from the east campervan fields. If you are aiming for a particular band - it can take at least half an hour at busy times ....

:thumb:

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Water at Glastonbury

A thought for those of you who haven't been before .....the water taps are generally a sort of stand pipe arrangement and are always really messy!

It is sometimes possible to fill up from the handwash troughs, but they are sometimes just push button taps - all water on site is safe to drink.

Be creative.....take a 1-2m length of hosepipe with whatever sort of connection might work for you (no screw thread or hoselok in sight!) ..... be prepared to get very muddy trying to fill your container ......it's almost unavoidable. Queues for water can be pretty long - best time is in the middle of the night!

OP
OP
simbadog
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
A thought for those of you who haven't been before .....the water taps are generally a sort of stand pipe arrangement and are always really messy!

It is sometimes possible to fill up from the handwash troughs, but they are sometimes just push button taps - all water on site is safe to drink.

Be creative.....take a 1-2m length of hosepipe with whatever sort of connection might work for you (no screw thread or hoselok in sight!) ..... be prepared to get very muddy trying to fill your container ......it's almost unavoidable. Queues for water can be pretty long - best time is in the middle of the night!

Yes, I've made up a special 2 metre hose with push over type fitting, if that fails will revert to using Gin instead :winky:

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years

i dont know if its of ant interest, but if you go to "glastowatch" people are doing swaps on campervan location east to west and vice versa. :thumb:

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
See you in the East campervan fields - we'll be as near the front of the queue as we can get on Tuesday lunchtime. Getting very excited now!

Have just seen the new alcohol policy (no trollies!) - our youngsters (20 somethings...) will be very glad that we can keep a good stock of cans in our van garage! They will just have to brave the Hill of Death to come and collect it to take it back down to their tents .......

To those of you worried about the HOD - it's not too bad - particularly if you do it backwards. The view from the top is awesome! And for newbies, it's worth giving yourself plenty of time each day to get into the festival through pedestrian gate C from the east campervan fields. If you are aiming for a particular band - it can take at least half an hour at busy times ....

:thumb:
Thanks Roxie, sound advice. I understand they have relaxed use of trolleys to shift alcohol to be limited to your own supply. I guess they had to back off quickly judging by tidal wave of dissent released.
On the grey water thing sounds like no point taking a hog to drain into?. One more question will things like tables and chairs by safe in a windblocker lightweight awning. I ask because thefts of personal possessions from tents was a big issue at IOW last year.
Many Thanks Carol and Nev

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
i dont know if its of ant interest, but if you go to "glastowatch" people are doing swaps on campervan location east to west and vice versa. :thumb:

Good call. I will investigate just a bit worried about handover what with so many fraudsters around.
Regards
Nev

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years
Good call. I will investigate just a bit worried about handover what with so many fraudsters around.
Regards
Nev

Might not be so much of an issue as campervan tickets absolutely no use unless you have festival tickets.

albeano

Free Member
May 13, 2012
bolton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years
Thanks Roxie, sound advice. I understand they have relaxed use of trolleys to shift alcohol to be limited to your own supply. I guess they had to back off quickly judging by tidal wave of dissent released.
On the grey water thing sounds like no point taking a hog to drain into?. One more question will things like tables and chairs by safe in a windblocker lightweight awning. I ask because thefts of personal possessions from tents was a big issue at IOW last year.
Many Thanks Carol and Nev

Regarding security the campervan site is fenced off with security access from both outside and the festival site entrances. I don't believe security is big issue, and consider it about same as you would a cc site. Ive always left my basic stuff awning tables chairs bbq like most do without any problems,so far.

Dumping grey water to ground is a bit alien to me but as the only disposal is plastic ibc tanks which also takes black water and are woe fully inadequate for the volume if grey is added I just dump away......although I generally do it night time just in case any suds leave evidence of the crime :Blush:

In truth most do the same ... ive seen them :Eeek:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have never had a problem leaving tables and chairs out under an awning. Nor experienced any problem with drink in the van but on the festival fields avoid glass and use cans and wine boxes or,if you can get them, plastic bottles. The catering on the site was not excessively expensive,I think the organisers imposed a cap on prices.
However the retailers of groceries and camping equipment do tend to charge 'top dollar'.
Most important of all ENJOY all of it especially the fringe performers.
I took a waste water hog on wheels and used it in the waste water carboys they had next to the toilet waste ones,these were emptied daily.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Regarding security the campervan site is fenced off with security access from both outside and the festival site entrances. I don't believe security is big issue, and consider it about same as you would a cc site. Ive always left my basic stuff awning tables chairs bbq like most do without any problems,so far.

Dumping grey water to ground is a bit alien to me but as the only disposal is plastic ibc tanks which also takes black water and are woe fully inadequate for the volume if grey is added I just dump away......although I generally do it night time just in case any suds leave evidence of the crime :Blush:

In truth most do the same ... ive seen them :Eeek:

I shall take your lead and furtively dump overnight and feel a little ashamed as I do so
Many Thanks
Nev:winky:

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
I have never had a problem leaving tables and chairs out under an awning. Nor experienced any problem with drink in the van but on the festival fields avoid glass and use cans and wine boxes or,if you can get them, plastic bottles. The catering on the site was not excessively expensive,I think the organisers imposed a cap on prices.
However the retailers of groceries and camping equipment do tend to charge 'top dollar'.
Most important of all ENJOY all of it especially the fringe performers.
I took a waste water hog on wheels and used it in the waste water carboys they had next to the toilet waste ones,these were emptied daily.

Marvellous news big foot. Regarding alcohol my plan was to premix gin and tonic and put in mini cooler bag with ice block. That should do us fine but have calculated will consume 4 bottles of gin during our time there. Does this sound like we are on the edge of dipsomania. What the hell its glastonbury and I will dry out for a few weeks after!!:Blush:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Marvellous news big foot. Regarding alcohol my plan was to premix gin and tonic and put in mini cooler bag with ice block. That should do us fine but have calculated will consume 4 bottles of gin during our time there. Does this sound like we are on the edge of dipsomania. What the hell its glastonbury and I will dry out for a few weeks after!!:Blush:

I took my gin in the plastic bottles you get in duty free and the tonic is in plastic bottles any way,the only problem is Agnostora comes in glass bottles. Or you could look for the offers of packs of premixed G&T in cans.
4 Bottles?
My name is Nev and I may be an alcoholic or I just like to enjoy myself!

OP
OP
simbadog
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I shall take your lead and furtively dump overnight and feel a little ashamed as I do so
Many Thanks
Nev:winky:

Just make sure you're grey water waste hose doesn't have a little hole in it before the tap :winky:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
I took my gin in the plastic bottles you get in duty free and the tonic is in plastic bottles any way,the only problem is Agnostora comes in glass bottles. Or you could look for the offers of packs of premixed G&T in cans.
4 Bottles?
My name is Nev and I may be an alcoholic or I just like to enjoy myself!

Never suspected you were a pink gin kinda guy from reading your profile:Eeek:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Not so much a pinkers but try it in a G&T,makes all the difference.
Theres a lot about me that defy my profile,mainly down to my sense of adventure.

I was going to use this as my signature 'An inconvenience is just an adventurer viewed in the wrong frame of mind'.
Enjoy Glasto.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Not so much a 'pinkers' but try it in a G&T,makes all the difference.
Theres a lot about me that defy my profile,mainly down to my sense of adventure.
Also a drop of bitters in a glass of tonic is great for hangovers and 'gippy' tums-a barman in Singapore gave me that tip,it works for me

I was going to use this as my signature 'An inconvenience is just an adventure viewed in the wrong frame of mind'.
Enjoy Glasto.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Looks like it makes you see double though :winky:
#Hic......

Worried about getting bogged. Have cut 4 x 2ft x2ft plywood 1/8ply to put under my wheels.
Does this sound like a good idea or some strange form of paranoia. Just a little vexed about damage sustained to me babby by being dragged across a quagmire.
Come to think of it I have not consulted the Met Charts to study wet fronts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back