GasBank Twin Refillable Bottle Install - Advice Needed! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Due to impending plans to venture into Europe in our Adria Compact SC Supreme this year I decided to ditch the 6kg Calor propane and 13kg Butane bottles in favour of a GasBank Duo set of 2 x 11kg light composite gas bottles with remote filling system as supplied by the LPG Shop.

I have fitted the bottles and the external filling system but am rather stuck as to how best to replace the existing Truma regulator valve with the auto switchover one supplied from the LPG shop as the fitting on the end of the metal pipe that disappears into the van to supply the hob & boiler is a different fitting to that on the bottom of the new automatic changeover regulator. I've uploaded a few images to show the install and the issue. I'm not a professional installer, just a keen diy'er, so go easy on me :giggle: . It's probably just some sort of adapter that I need, but what kind I have no clue so I thought it best to ask the wise minds on here!

The first image is the pipe with the new regulator and the second one is with the existing Truma one.

TIA.

20240114_112444_005.jpg
20240114_112504.jpg
20240115_184351.jpg
20240115_184437.jpg

20240114_155713.jpg
20240113_161824.jpg

20240115_184404.jpg

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I didn’t replace the existing regulator, just used an auto changeover valve in conjunction with it.

Along with an inline Truma filter.

OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Hi Orion, you come to my rescue again :giggle: .

Well, that's what I kind of assumed would be the answer as I would be able to keep the crash protection feature but when I asked the helpful chap at LPG Shop he indicated that his valve replaces the Truma regulator. So what sort of a pipe would I need to connect the new auto changeover valve to the Truma valve, some sort of pigtail? And can I mount the new valve in the ceiling of the gas locker? If you have any photos that would be brilliant.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I would keep the Truma kit. especially the crash protection.

Auto changeovers are overated in my opinion.

Whatever you do, keep the regulator higher than the bottle tops.

Check the documentation if you want to mount anything other than vertially.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Hi Orion, you come to my rescue again :giggle: .

Well, that's what I kind of assumed would be the answer as I would be able to keep the crash protection feature but when I asked the helpful chap at LPG Shop he indicated that his valve replaces the Truma regulator. So what sort of a pipe would I need to connect the new auto changeover valve to the Truma valve, some sort of pigtail? And can I mount the new valve in the ceiling of the gas locker? If you have any photos that would be brilliant.

A W20 ‘caravan’ elbow will go between the Truma regulator and an auto changeover valve. I used an additional elbow as well to fit a Truma filter ‘twixt the two components and ensure the hoses ran correctly. Our Adria is parked over at my daughter’s at the moment while we have some work on the drive carried out but I should be going over tomorrow, so will post or PM a couple of pics later.

BTW have a New Truma filter spare if interested?

PS. How’s the step performing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Photos would be great, thanks. And yes, I would be interested in the filter. How much do you want for it?
The step is amazing, as is the under-mounted spare wheel! I reckon our vans might be hard to tell apart if parked next to each other.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Oh dear ⚠️
Typical of certain suppliers unfortunately, recently had a customer arguing with me after he got incorrect information about a gas fitting from 3 different Leisure industry gas fitting suppliers ⚠️
That Cavagna regulator has exactly the same fitting as the Truma as long as the pipe size is correct.
The stepped olive is actually still in the Cavagna regulator in your picture!
But why any company would give advice to replace a CS regulator with a standard one is beyond me unless specifically requested by the customer ?
Why even bother with an automatic changeover?
There is a separate automatic changeover valve that you could fit onto the existing Truma but as already mentioned you would also require a W20 elbow which creates too much leverage on the fittings in my opinion.
Personally I’d stick the Truma CS regulator and use a W20 tee like this.

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
On a different note , I see one of my pet hates on your Truma regulator ⚠️
Your test point plastic cap is missing, they can and do leak when the tiny ball bearings go rusty , lazy gas fitters at dealers don’t seem to care less about replacing them , I actually save them from old regulators to replace customers missing caps 😂 Very sad I know

OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Oh dear ⚠️
Typical of certain suppliers unfortunately, recently had a customer arguing with me after he got incorrect information about a gas fitting from 3 different Leisure industry gas fitting suppliers ⚠️
That Cavagna regulator has exactly the same fitting as the Truma as long as the pipe size is correct.
But why any company would give advice to replace a CS regulator with a standard one is beyond me unless specifically requested by the customer ?
There is a separate automatic changeover valve that you could fit onto the existing Truma but as already mentioned you would also require a W20 elbow which creates too much leverage on the fittings in my opinion.
Thanks got your input. Sounds like a good option. So with the W20 tee would I just open up one bottle and when that's empty close it off and then open up the reserve bottle then? I guess I couldn't have both bottles open at the same time and have them both empty at the same rate?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Thanks got your input. Sounds like a good option. So with the W20 tee would I just open up one bottle and when that's empty close it off and then open up the reserve bottle then? I guess I couldn't have both bottles open at the same time and have them both empty at the same rate?
Yes that’s what I do even if there is an automatic changeover valve fitted to the system as it will empty both cylinders, me being an idiot wouldn’t ever check and the grief from the Climate control officer doesn’t bear thinking about 😂
Just remember to alternate between bottles if you only ever use one as with all refillable LPG bottles tanks you will eventually overfill the unused cylinder.

OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
OK, thanks. The reason why I asked about whether both cylinders can be emptied at the same time if both valves are left open is I've got one of those senso4s smart level checkers on order and, obviously, it only goes under one bottle. Alternatively, I just leave it under the reserve bottle and always use the same one last, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Oh dear ⚠️
So like this then? Any obvious issues that you can see? I'm a bit nervous being new to plumbing gas pipes.

I note that there is some pressure in the bottles as supplied, so do I just tighten everything up and open the taps and spray the connections with soapy water to look for bubbles? How do I do that for the filling system, or it it a case of doing the same thing at the petrol station when filling up for the first time?

If I fitted filters, do they go directly onto the W20 Tee and then the pigtails onto the filters? Space might be an issue!

20240117_153444.jpg

20240117_150458.jpg

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
So like this then? Any obvious issues that you can see? I'm a bit nervous being new to plumbing gas pipes.

I note that there is some pressure in the bottles as supplied, so do I just tighten everything up and open the taps and spray the connections with soapy water to look for bubbles? How do I do that for the filling system, or it it a case of doing the same thing at the petrol station when filling up for the first time?

If I fitted filters, do they go directly onto the W20 Tee and then the pigtails onto the filters? Space might be an issue!

View attachment 855907

View attachment 855912
You need to let any air pressure out of the bottles as yes these particular ones always seem to have some air pressure in them when they are delivered to us .
Installation looks ok but I would try and get the pigtail a bit neater with a gradual fall and back to the cylinder, reorientate the tee slightly.

OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
You need to let any air pressure out of the bottles as yes these particular ones always seem to have some air pressure in them when they are delivered to us .
Installation looks ok but I would try and get the pigtail a bit neater with a gradual fall and back to the cylinder, reorientate the tee slightly.
Great, thanks for the advice (y)

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Can you explain the ‘overfilling’ a bit more please? How can that occur?
Yes that’s what I do even if there is an automatic changeover valve fitted to the system as it will empty both cylinders, me being an idiot wouldn’t ever check and the grief from the Climate control officer doesn’t bear thinking about 😂
Just remember to alternate between bottles if you only ever use one as with all refillable LPG bottles tanks you will eventually overfill the unused cylinder.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That kit is a really good price at £333.32 from LPG shop👍😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Basildog says you need to rotate the tee so the hose slopes downwards to the bottle.

With that setup you only need one filter connected to the regulator then the Tee connects to the filter. It does not look like you have room for a filter unless you reposition the regulator higher.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Thanks Lenny. I'll rotate the T so the hose slopes down towards the bottle when I do the final buttoning up.

I think you are right WRT room for a filter. Is running without one too much of an issue? There hasn't been one on there previously.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny. I'll rotate the T so the hose slopes down towards the bottle when I do the final buttoning up.

I think you are right WRT room for a filter. Is running without one too much of an issue? There hasn't been one on there previously.
I wouldn't as about a year ago after filling up & using French gas I had about 6mm of oil in the filter bowl.
Maybe not so important with your regulator but my one is £200.

OP
OP
M
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
I wouldn't as about a year ago after filling up & using French gas I had about 6mm of oil in the filter bowl.
Maybe not so important with your regulator but my one is £200.
I'm happy to move the regulator up and fit a filter, but how do I extend the OE metal pipe that comes from the bottom of the regulator?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If you use washing up liquid to test for leaks make sure to wash it off afterwards.
If you use washing up liquid to test for leaks there’s a higher than average probability that you’re stealing oxygen from viable life form 😂

May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
Hi Mike, just wondered how you were getting on with this installation?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back