Gas bottles.. (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Don’t know about the legal implications. If it’s not in a dedicated compartment then it’s a bit risky. Potentially dangerous if it leaked.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On the basis that gas bottles must be stored in a well ventilated area with no access to living spaces I'd guess the official answer is no. The risk of course is what happens in the event of an accident.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if folk do, but it's at their own risk of course. Have we done it.................................???

We sometimes carry a Camping Gaz 907 bottle as backup - we have a gas ring that screws into it but also have an adapter so that we can plug it into the rechargeable system if we have problems getting gas. However this ALWAYS lives in the back box, never within the hab area.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
I think technically it doesn’t breach ADR as it’s a private vehicle. But it will breach the road traffic act in that it’s an unsafe load.

Gas bottle lockers are designed on the basis that there could be a leak. There are no ignition sources in the locker and plenty of low level vents in case of leak.

Inside the van there are plenty of ignition sources and whilst there are low level vents, you have to understand they will have been designed based on the fact that the gas inside is on the low pressure side. 38 mbar. A very low pressure.

The pressure inside a gas bottle will be anywhere from 5 bar to 15 bar depending on ambient temperature. So the danger is significant, if a leak occurred.

I doubt the ferry companies and the tunnel would allow a bottle to be carried inside the van itself.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
There is a similar thread on this

Its best to check the tunnel or ferry regs rather than relying on peoples personal views.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I was wondering about carrying a spare bottle strapped down in the garage. The garage has vents in the floor but also a hatch into the hab area, so probably no-go.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
On the basis that gas bottles must be stored in a well ventilated area with no access to living spaces I'd guess the official answer is no. The risk of course is what happens in the event of an accident.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if folk do, but it's at their own risk of course. Have we done it.................................???

We sometimes carry a Camping Gaz 907 bottle as backup - we have a gas ring that screws into it but also have an adapter so that we can plug it into the rechargeable system if we have problems getting gas. However this ALWAYS lives in the back box, never within the hab area.
I do exactly the same although I store the 907 under a bunk. They are made and intended for camping and have a double seal, in the unlikely event of the ball valve failing the screw in stopper would prevent any leak. The bottle is secured so I am happy to continue this way although of course I appreciate that usually the 907 would be carried in the boot of a car. Seems to be that any accident which caused the bottle to rupture would be so serious that we wouldn't know much about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back