Gas appliance servicing (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
How often do people have the fridge, hob and oven "serviced", and what would this involve? If no disconnection of gas supplies involved, could I do it myself?

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Gas connections are part of the habitation service.

How often do you 'service' your fridge at home? An interior clean now and again, and exterior clean when the water filter is changed, but we have never had our fridge at home 'serviced' - same goes for hob and oven.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
How often do you 'service' your fridge at home? An interior clean now and again, and exterior clean when the water filter is changed, but we have never had our fridge at home 'serviced' - same goes for hob and oven.
Whilst that's a fair point the home appliances aren't being vibrated and bounced around or subject to varying degrees of humidity (damp in outside locker or exterior piping exposed to the weather). At home connections aren't being disturbed if using exchange cylinders.
All the while my gas appliances are working O.K. (for 11 years so far) I don't meddle with them. I carry enough tools to confidently sort problems and a can of gas leak detector.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
A hab “service” is usually just a check. I paid extra to have my fridge removed and thoroughly “checked “ (or so I thought) but it came back leaking gas and it took 3 more visits to the (luckily local) dealership to get it sorted, during which time they managed to stop the 240V working.
That was the first service in 14y and it will not be getting another one soon. After the previous service (different place) the water pump leaked although it didn’t when it went in. Some people say that coincidence happens!

Gordon

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't really think there is such a thing as a fridge "service". A good hab check will include an inspection of the connections etc plus a gas pressure test to check for leaks. The furthest my guys have gone was when I mentioned the burner on the fridge was noisy and they replaced it although it didn't make any difference.
I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" brigade however I do have a gas sniffer-type checker for when the wife says she can smell gas!

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
A hab “service” is usually just a check. I paid extra to have my fridge removed and thoroughly “checked “ (or so I thought) but it came back leaking gas and it took 3 more visits to the (luckily local) dealership to get it sorted, during which time they managed to stop the 240V working.
That was the first service in 14y and it will not be getting another one soon. After the previous service (different place) the water pump leaked although it didn’t when it went in. Some people say that coincidence happens!

Gordon
Yup, that's pretty much why I'm not desperate to have it fiddled with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Gas connections are part of the habitation service.

Sure, I'm using the term loosely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back